U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:06 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,514,509 times

Advertisements

Resale is an important consideration, but I'd personally never need or use a 3-car garage. Houses in Colorado have basements -- basements provide far more storage than any family would ever need. If your home is built without a basement, then perhaps the third space becomes more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 11,732,373 times
I think it really depends on how many cars you have and use on a daily basis. We have two in our family which my wife and I drive alot. The third space is good for the lawn mower, kid's bikes, tools, etc... with some room to spare.

It is really nice to have in addition to a basement in our case. But if we couldn't find a 3-car garage would make a 2-car work. It would just be more cramped. That is what we did in our last place in Cailfornia and we had both cars 'in' the garage.

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-06-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2007, 08:08 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
When you ask "how necessiary is a 3 car garage " I thought that you wanted to know about the weather on the car. If a car would survive well without. But by the others that have responded, I get the impression they are thinking another way. More room is always nice and all cars in a garage is nice. So if you can afford 3 car garage and it's taxes, insurance etc. Go for it. Resale. I am told by a mortgage lender that the bigger the home the harder and rates higher sometimes to finance. Why? because if they have to repo. They are hard to resell. In the light of all the repos latley, I think I might understand their concern.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:43 PM

17 posts, read 71,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
When you ask "how necessiary is a 3 car garage " I thought that you wanted to know about the weather on the car. If a car would survive well without.
Hi Nadine,

That is the biggest reason I was asking. All of the other things are definitely things to consider, so all of it helps.

So, how does the weather affect a car that sits out all of the time? I'm from CA, so that is not anything I've had to worry about before...except for sun damage.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 AM

4,330 posts, read 4,354,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielover View Post
Hi Nadine,

That is the biggest reason I was asking. All of the other things are definitely things to consider, so all of it helps.

So, how does the weather affect a car that sits out all of the time? I'm from CA, so that is not anything I've had to worry about before...except for sun damage.
In Colorado, the level of UV intensity is high due to the altitude. My 12 year old car looks new because it is usually parked inside the garage and I work from home. Many 12 year old cars parked outside have the paint falling off.

Furthermore, a garage limits temperature cycling. That adds to longevity.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,742,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
In Colorado, the level of UV intensity is high due to the altitude. My 12 year old car looks new because it is usually parked inside the garage and I work from home. Many 12 year old cars parked outside have the paint falling off.

Furthermore, a garage limits temperature cycling. That adds to longevity.
I agree with this. I have a 14 year old car and if I would just get off my buns and wash it ( ) the paint is still in great condition for it's age. There was just too much snow to bother until now. Seriously. But for the regular bumps and dings you get, not a spot of oxidation.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,376,904 times
Now that I live in Florida one task I will NEVER miss is having to scrape the ice off the windshield and heat up the interior...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 11,732,373 times
Yes aussielover,

I came form California and I was not used to the snow/ice/hail like we have here. So having that extra level of protection from the elements was important to my wife and I. It is bad enough when your car is out there in it while at work. You don't really want to wake up to that ice on your windshield in the morning when it is 10 degrees outside and then have to scape it off.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 48,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
HaHa!!!

Yeah, I just can't believe how many people I see with junk in their garage and the cars parked in the driveway,
And only in America do we park on driveways and drive on parkways.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielover View Post
Hi Nadine,

Same here, I would say, altitude increases the sun strength so as others say fading maybe more noticable to you. Otherwise, to repeat myself, when I see rusted bodies on vehicles, I assume they come from near the coast somewhere. Lived all my life here in various places, never have I scraped a half inch of ice off my windshield,some ice but never that much. But I have never lived out into the plains far,maybe they have ice storms. other than Leadville mostly in the central or southern part. Winter when I had to get to work early every morn. I used those plastic shields you can buy to put across the windshield, used it on the back window also. No ice, no snow. Just remove and go. But I will not say I did not want a garage. Garages are the best if possible, of coarse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs