U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 AM

17 posts, read 71,603 times

Advertisements

Since we own 3 cars, I've been looking at houses with 3 car garages in the Briargate and Northern areas. It does limit our search quite a bit, and I'm afraid I might be missing out on some really nice houses that only have a 2 car garage.

Can I get an opinion on how necessary it is to have the all of cars in the garage during the winter? If we got a 2 car garage, it would be the teenagers car that would be out. Necessity or no?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:12 AM

138 posts, read 410,238 times
saw your question- depends if your developement has rule that all vehicles must be inside a garage- if the car has an engine block heater it can be plugged in so it will start even when very cold. Teenagers can brush off the car of snow!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
A 3 car garage is really handy for us. If you have to store a lawnmower, snow blower, bicycles, motorcycle, workbench, garden tools, or trash cans, the 3-car is realistically a 2-car. I don't know of anyone who has a 3-car that regrets it, but I know people with a 2-car who desires that extra space. Try to get a southern facing driveway if you can. It will make your winter experience much easier.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM

4,329 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Question Hail god

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussielover View Post
Since we own 3 cars, I've been looking at houses with 3 car garages in the Briargate and Northern areas. It does limit our search quite a bit, and I'm afraid I might be missing out on some really nice houses that only have a 2 car garage.

Can I get an opinion on how necessary it is to have the all of cars in the garage during the winter? If we got a 2 car garage, it would be the teenagers car that would be out. Necessity or no?
I have a 3 car garage and about half of my neighbors also have one. However, it's not essential, just convenient. Teens are so happy to just be able to drive that they will adapt. If you have a good battery and use synthetic oil like Mobil 1, you'll have no problem starting.

A bigger problem occurs in summertime when we can get golf ball sized hail.

Which car do you sacrifice to the hail god?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Quote:
Which car do you sacrifice to the hail god?
LOL Funny but true

Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM

431 posts, read 2,500,244 times
Lived in Leadville for 8 yrs, were the coldest spot in the nation several times while we were there. Never had a garage, never had synthetic oil, never had a heat block. Drove a Chevy pickup, never had snow tires. Just sandbags over the rear tires. Drove to Climax every day, when not riding in a carpool. No problem. Had the pickup for 20 yrs. It never saw a garage. The paint was still good and no rust. Of coarse we rinsed it every week and kept wax on it. Don't get me wrong, a garage is wonderful to have but lots of people have survived without back when and still do. You will have less rust here that on the coast, I will guarantee. These diesels is another thing.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:27 PM

13,631 posts, read 21,489,347 times
A garage is nice during the cold months as you don't have to scrape your windshields or keep your car running for 5 to 10 minutes with the defrost on.

Having a three car garage must add some value to your home. I'm unsure of how much. If you can have a two car garage and actually be able to park two vehicles in it, you're doing better than most Coloradoans. That Yakov Smirnov guy in Branson jokes about how only in America do people have vehicles worth thousands of dollars parked out in the driveway and useless junk packed into their garage! How true.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 PM

5,136 posts, read 11,728,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
snip... only in America do people have vehicles worth thousands of dollars parked out in the driveway and useless junk packed into their garage! How true.
HaHa!!!

Yeah, I just can't believe how many people I see with junk in their garage and the cars parked in the driveway, even during blizzards. C'mon people stick the junk in the basement or have a garage sale, geezzz.

I see it on a lot on the snowiest days when commuting to work, vehicle after vehicle covered in snow. I can understand if 'some' people don't have a garage or too many cars and not enough spaces. But seriously how many are just too wrapped up in all their garage junk to part with it? This is one area where I can agree with the HOA's.

A three car garage is really great to have and there are a lot of them in our neighborhood - Wagon Trails, just south of Woodmen and west of Powers. We have a lot of homes for sale right now. I would say hold out for thr extra garage. It didn't cost us that much more and it is really worth it.

I am sure some people get used to it. But why, really if you don't have to? When it is below freezing outside and your car has been sitting in it for a long time, trust me, it is no fun.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 AM

4,329 posts, read 4,350,986 times
Default Table Stakes?

One thing to consider: For many buyers, a 3 car garage is "table stakes." They will not even look at a house without a 3 car. So it makes a house more easily salable.

My number 1 rule for buying a house is to consider resale. Which features does it have that will make it easy to sell in the future: size, lot, view, garage, etc.

All things being equal, I'd go for a 3 car.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
I've lived with both a garage and without. I much prefer to keep my car in the garage for several reasons:

Warmer in the winter.
Cooler in the summer.
Protection from the elements.
Protection against vandalism, property theft and vehicle theft.

Teens tend leave their possessions in plain view: ipods, CDs, phones, etc and those cars get burgled more often.

What I find odd in my specific neighborhood is that a lot of my neighbors don't park their cars in their garages at all. As stated above, a lot of people pile in the junk, lack of storage space for lawnmowers and other yard equipment, etc. I also find that a lot of my neighbors also use the garage in the summer months as extended living space. They have couches, rugs and all the typical stuff you might see in a living room/family room. Most are those with southwest/west facing back yards where it's too hot to enjoy the back yard so it's cooler in the garage. It also provides protection from a thunderstorm rolling through.

Anyhow, I think it's a good idea to garage your vehicle. Man, one ice storm and you are chopping half inch thick ice from the windshield while it's 15F, you rethink the idea of keeping the car in a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs