U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 AM

160 posts, read 880,205 times

Advertisements

My son was just diagnosed with a mild form of aspergers. We currently live in socal and know what is available as far as services but wondering if it will be as good in CO. Does anyone with an aspergers child have experience with the schools and any other type of intervention programs? Pls advise as we will have to make a decision on whether to move our family. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 03:04 PM

32 posts, read 193,521 times
Default Help is on the way!

I also have a special needs child and was hooked up with the parent to parent organization here in Colorado. Google them and get connected - a very valuable resource!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:34 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times
I saw that Creekside Middle school actually has an autism program- I do not know anything about though.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, the schools do not train their teachers or para in ABA and will not always hire a para for your child- making it a 1:1 ratio, which is what it should be. Good luck!!

Old 06-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Just learned this week that D49 is also working on their autism program. The one in D49 will have 11 kids and 5 para's- working on getting one more para. The teacher is doing her very best to get as much training, education, help etc for the para's in the room. Sorry I do not know much more on it-- but good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,047 times
we have a grandson in colorado springs and will be in 7th grade next year and he has aspbergers and ADHD....would like to know middle schools that are equipped to deal with this special need....thanks you ....susie d

Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,081 times
Just recently moved to Denver and looking for options for my AS son as well. I noticed a few private schools advertise accomadations for AS kids. I also saw a school called Temple Gardin, although pricey offers one of the best programs for children of autism. Does anyone know about specific public schools and how to get information on their programs? What is D49?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM

9,734 posts, read 6,269,187 times
D49 is a Colorado Springs public school district, on the northeast side of town.

If you're in Denver, you might seek info from the Denver boards, although some here might have some general (internet-based) resources for you.

Good luck & best wishes!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM

I really like what D8 and D49 have done with their programs. A friend of mine in D49 does an excellent job in her classroom- working/worked towards becoming a BCBA and has her masters in SpEd. Unfortunately, D49 has so many budget issues but they do have great teachers!
While working in D8, I was amazed at the amount of money that the district spent to support their autism programs/trainings. They too have excellent teachers and a sped dept at the admin level.
Good luck on your search!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,681,120 times
Not that it matters, but my Aspergers students I have had over the years have been some of my truly favorite kids. They struggled to pass my class sometimes, but were just such neat people to work with and to watch become young adults.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,092 times
Hi! I have a high functioning aspergers 13 year old boy..entering 7th grade mainstream but has anxiety & touch of OCD. Husband may be transferring there for work. Looking at middle schools but more important a high school, public or private that our very understanding but are academically challenging in Math & Science? Any help in right direction would be grateful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs