U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 AM

3 posts, read 11,401 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Colorado. I have no choice but to go to Colorado Springs because my husband is getting stationed at Fort Carson. On that note, which area would you recommend? I have considered as far north as Woodmen, Broadmoor (I know it's expensive so prob won't live there), Stratmoor, Powers, Fountain..pretty much everywhere close to base. Any pointers? We want to buy a home, don't have kids, are in our 20's so still like to party just a bit =) Are there lots of restaurants, bars, and clubs? How's the weather? Is it usually pretty mild for the most part? I'm originally from Florida and currently live in Hawaii so needless to say I hate the cold weather..hope I don't freeze my butt off in Colorado. I don't really ski, hike, or white water raft. I'm more of a beach bunny, obviously I know there are no beaches in Colorado haha How are the reservoirs or what do people do for swimming and water sports? I ask all of this because my husband wants to stay in Colorado forever GASP, so I honestly hope I love it! I've been trying to convince him to move to Florida. On that note, anyone been to Florida lately? I haven't been there since I was 13 years old actually so I'm sure a lot has changed. If you had to choose would you pick Colorado or Florida? If anyone has any advice for me I'd love to hear it. Thanks much. I appreciate it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,778,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha808beachbunny View Post
I have never been to Colorado. I have no choice but to go to Colorado Springs because my husband is getting stationed at Fort Carson. On that note, which area would you recommend? I have considered as far north as Woodmen, Broadmoor (I know it's expensive so prob won't live there), Stratmoor, Powers, Fountain..pretty much everywhere close to base. Any pointers? We want to buy a home, don't have kids, are in our 20's so still like to party just a bit =) Are there lots of restaurants, bars, and clubs? How's the weather? Is it usually pretty mild for the most part? I'm originally from Florida and currently live in Hawaii so needless to say I hate the cold weather..hope I don't freeze my butt off in Colorado. I don't really ski, hike, or white water raft. I'm more of a beach bunny, obviously I know there are no beaches in Colorado haha How are the reservoirs or what do people do for swimming and water sports? I ask all of this because my husband wants to stay in Colorado forever GASP, so I honestly hope I love it! I've been trying to convince him to move to Florida. On that note, anyone been to Florida lately? I haven't been there since I was 13 years old actually so I'm sure a lot has changed. If you had to choose would you pick Colorado or Florida? If anyone has any advice for me I'd love to hear it. Thanks much. I appreciate it...

I'm assuming you and your husband are coming from Schofield barracks..or Wahiawa. Yes, It does get cold here, and it gets really hot too. Stay AWAY from the Stratmoor ghetto. Fountain too, you'd hate it if you're a large city girl, there are NO clubs or good bars there. Powers corridor is nice, but far from Ft. Carson. Ifwere you, I'd take a look around the southwest area of town or the West side. It's close to downtown, and better suited for couples in their early 20's.

As far as water, yea we have resiviors, but the beaches suck, and the swimming does too. But you'll just have to make do with it, it's all we have.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM

17,396 posts, read 24,751,978 times
Bunny, coming here will be quite a change, keep an open mind, embrace it, give it a try, you might like it enough to stay a while.

No beaches, no real outdoor swimming because the water is way too cold most of the year, save for a few small lakes that get a bit warmer in mid summer. Most swimming here is done at indoor pools at military bases, YMCA's, health clubs or public rec centers. Prospect Lake in Memorial Park, just east of downtown, has a beach and lake, but that's about all. Rivers here are dangerously cold with snow runoff most of the year and often swift moving.

Dryness of the air here will make the cold seem less invasive and bone chilling like it is back east or other moist areas. When you first get here, drink lots of water until your body acclimates, then stock up on sunscreen, skin lotion, chap stick, sun glasses and sun hat. At these elevations the rays of the sun are very strong and will burn you quickly.

Many of the young people here love to go snow boarding in the winter. The ski resorts have a great bar scene. You'll find plenty of fans at Fort Carson and most likely a ski club or two to join.

When Ryan said to stay away from Fountain, I'm pretty sure he was talking about Fountain Blvd, not the small town of Fountain which has a good reputation with Carson folks. He'll correct me if I misunderstood.

Powers Blvd is the main drag on the east side of town; lots of shopping, eateries, movies, a few brew pubs and such. Not a bad place to hang out, but nothing like the big city downtown of Denver, about 90 minutes north of Carson on I-25.

Downtown COLO SPGS has a few hot spots, eateries and shopping, but it's light years from being a place like Times Square in NYC, Bourbon Street in New Orleans, the Atlanta Underground, or South Beach in Miami.

Living up on the Powers corridor area is fine, the closer to Woodmen the better it gets. Lots of military folks along there and out Woodmen in the Falcon area. On the west side of town along Colorado Ave is an area called Old Colorado City, which has a funky vibe, lots of eateries, some artsiness, some boutiques, and a lot of small old cottages of which many have a certain charm and odd paint schemes reminiscent of the painted ladies of San Francisco.

Suggest you avoid areas near Citadel Mall, places with street names like S. Chelton, S. Murray, Fountain Blvd, etc. The S.E. corner of the city is a bit rough, seems to make the evening news a lot, but still, it's not the horror we see in parts of Detroit, Chicago, E. St Louis, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-12-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,180,866 times
Hi,
I live in Colorado and moved to the beach in Vero Beach for a year. Came back....didn't like it (although my Mom and sister live there.

My youngest son is stationed in Hawaii. He is in the Navy. He is here right now on leave!! He did a year training in Florida..hated it. He will be leaving Hawaii in 15 months and will be in Denver for 3 years!!WOOHOO!!
He is in his 20's also.
We went to Breckenridge yesterday and he just loves Colorado!!

He could careless about beaches (of course he is on a ship all the time) ..he loves the mountains!!

Although his apartment in Waikiki is awesome,...he can't wait to be where the weather is dry and he can go have his off time snowboarding!!! He even went to the indoor ski slopes in Dubai!!!!

I think once you get here and are around others your age, you will enjoy the difference in the outdoor activities!!
My son runs everyday and the altitude is kicking his fandola!! Be prepared for that, you will be fine!!

I would say that the closer you stay to Ft. Carson, the better. I would look into Fountain (near Mesa High School)....you can drive a few minutes down Powers to go out and about. It's just better to be minutes away to work everyday.
Good Luck!! Aloha!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM

14 posts, read 34,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha808beachbunny View Post
Hi there,
We moved from Hawaii as well! I think you'll like it here, at least for the fact that there is a great deal of sunshine (even after it snows) and there are beautiful mountains (not exactly like the Ko`olau mountains, but good enough!).

We are probably 20 years older than you, so not exactly too hip on the club/bar scene. The Colorado Springs Independent puts out inserts from time to time that have reviews/recommendations on all the good places (eats, clubs, etc.). Colorado Springs Independent | Issue Archives The issue that had the recent insert does not show the insert online. Too bad!

After looking online at many houses for sale, we ended up in the Broadmoor Bluffs area. Very close to Ft. Carson. Our 3-story house was under $500k. I'm not sure if you are thinking of buying? You certainly don't get the same kind of money like being in Hawaii (with COLA and all...). Being somewhat close to Ft. Carson is nice, especially with any inclement weather.

The air is indeed very dry here. I complained about the humidity in Hawaii, even though I am from there, but boy, I sure miss it sometimes! I'm trying to drink more water and slather on the moisturizer. As long as you have a humidifier, the static electricity won't be too bad. The cold is really not that bad. We got here in December. Make sure you wear proper layers when it is cold and you'll be fine. Just ask your hubby. Fleece is not good when it snows because it will stay WET. Same for cotton.

The weather is now sunny with a fair amount of wind. It can gust up to 30-40 miles an hour. We had some rain last night as well. It's so pretty, because everything is starting to bud and bloom! It's like spring has happened overnight! But regarding snow, what's great is...it can snow like crazy one day, then almost totally melt off the next! Make sure your house has GOOD SUN EXPOSURE! This will definitely help you during the cold months!!!

We did learn that our gas fireplace can suck up gas and cause the utility bill to skyrocket. So just beware of that when finding a place to live. The utility gal told me that even 20 minutes can suck up a lot of gas! Once we shut off the pilot lights and stopped using the fireplace, the utility bill went down $130!

I've recommended some restaurants to others...so I'll mention them here:

Chopsticks is a GREAT chinese restaurant: Chopsticks Asian Bistro for Dining in Colorado Springs

Jake and Telly's Greek Taverna:
jakeandtellys.com

Pizzeria Rustica is supposed to be good:
Pizzeria Rustica | Colorado Springs Artisan Pizza in the Neapolitan Tradition

And although you are from Florida, there is an L&L Hawaiian BBQ place! Don't tell me you never went to L&L!!
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue L&L Drive-Inn
L&L Hawaiian Barbecue L&L Drive-Inn

Go and walk through Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City. Lots of cool little shops and eateries! And go enjoy Garden of the Gods. It's so beautiful, even if you don't hike! There is a terrific vantage point of Pike's Peak from the Visitor Center.

Manitou Springs, Colorado at the foot of Pikes Peak,the Cog Railway, near Colorado Springs and Garden of the Gods

Old Colorado City | Old Town... Shop, Dine, Discover

Garden Of The Gods | Home

My main shopping areas to go to are up on N. Academy Blvd (which is not too far from shops at Briargate), all the shopping along Powers, and once in awhile the Citadel (which is like a regular indoor mall...).

Oh, there is a really cool place to look around. It is the American Classics Marketplace. Lots of cool antiques and junk!:

American Classics Marketplace is the largest antique store in Colorado Springs

American Classics Marketplace, Colorado Springs, CO : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Have fun! I think you'll like it fine here. Of course I am really annoyed with how people leave their shopping carts all over the place in parking lots...especially when it's windy! But other than that...

Aloha!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Oh my gosh..thanks everyonen for all the info! It's going to help me a great deal =) I'm really excited for this move. I know my husband said he he got out of the military we would prob move to Denver (he wants to be a civilian police officer). For now though I will def make the best of it and I'm sure I will find lots of fun things to do. I don't necessarily like to drink or go out clubbin all the time, but it's nice to get out every once in awhile. I'm more of a stay at home, bbq, and have people over type of girl. Note to self..stay away from Stratmoor haha. We have looked in the Fountain area considering you can get more house for your dollar, but I also understand it has more of a country feel. I guess I will just have to wait until I see it with my own two eyes to decide then. I heard Powers is nice, but far from Carson. 30 mins is a long drive for me! I will either be working on Fort Carson or at the VA in downtown Colorado Springs. I'll just have to drive around and check out the distance for everything. Up by the Air Force Academy seems amazing. There are almost too many decisions!! I can't decide haha Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it! Mahalo and alooooooha haha

Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM

43 posts, read 42,691 times
I might be biased because I'm a native, but you can't beat those late afternoon BBQ's when the sun's going down behind the mountains, even better if there was an afternoon TStorm to make the air a little more lively. It's heaven on earth when this happens.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 PM

Default Weather

Yea I hear the weather is crazy there! I guess as long as there's not snow most of the year and lots of it I can survive lol

Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 PM

14 posts, read 34,097 times
Yup, weather can vary greatly. Today we have some dark looming clouds over Colorado Springs and low clouds on the mountains. The forecast had shown possibility of rain and/or thunderstorms over the next week, but today that has changed with some of those days being sunny with some clouds and low chance of rain. You just never know!

I was expecting some heavy rain last night, but only heard some thunder rumbles in the afternoon and a few drops.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Status: "Time it was and what a time it was, it was." (set 16 days ago)

3,602 posts, read 3,281,377 times
Differences between Hawai'i and Colorado Springs:

Colorado Springs:
Very few bugs.
No cane spiders.
No cockroaches.
There are rattlesnakes in some parts of town.
No coqui frog
No Hawai'ian centipedes
Low humidity.
Not very green or lush (in comparison)
Lower cost of living
No beaches
No outdoor swimming except in pools
Not nearly as much nightlife
Lots of drivetime to pretty much wherever you want to go
A REAL interstate
Huge mountains with Pikes Peak as background
Afternoon thunderstorms (lightning & thunder) most summer afternoons
Monsoon season (yup, monsoon) July and August
Can snow as early as September and as late as June
Snow melts quickly
Winter temps generally 20's - 40's
Summer temps generally 70's - 90's
Lots of touristy things
Most people friendly (not like aloha or ohana friendly) but nice enough
Not as much diverse shopping as say Ala Moana Center
No ABC stores
No liquor sales in grocery stores except beer and wine coolers
Those are ski racks on the roofs of cars, not cop's lights usually
Colorado in general has a good sized Hawai'ian population

Hawai'i:
Many Coloradoans go to Maui to escape winter - what does that tell ya?
Palm trees
Banyan Trees
Orchids
Plumeria
Antherium
Year round flowers, trees, fruits and vegetables
Luau
Beaches
Mai-Tai's at the Royal Hawai'ian
Surfing
Snorkeling
SCUBA
Outrigger Canoes
Duke's
Kapiolani Park
The Queen's Park
Fabulous restaurants
Golf year round
Dole Plantation maze
North Shore
TheBus
ABC stores
Sunsets over the ocean
Lots of touristy things
5 Islands to choose from
No Snow (except maybe on the BI)
Finally: Lost filmed on Oahu

Florida? Not a choice in my book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs