Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 AM

641 posts, read 2,270,633 times

Advertisements

I got a post card in the mail recently regarding changes to Powers Blvd.
The long and short of it is basically a project to turn Powers Blvd into a 6 lane highway with off ramps.

As a relatively new home owner who lives off Powers and Stetson Hills, I'm just not sure what I think about it.

Have you heard of it? Do we even have money for this kind of project?? Thoughts? Pros/cons? Discuss amongst yourselves.

thePowersLink.com - Your Link to the Powers Corridor Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,941,174 times
Wow, this is the frist I have heard of it. Like you, I am not sure how I feel about it (I live off Powers and Dublin). I definitely need to do some more reading as I've only looked at the link in a cursory manner. I can say this, they need to finish the Woodman project first. I think we are in need of a good East-West passage first.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 AM

12,260 posts, read 24,394,453 times
It was suppose to be a highway from the start with on and off ramps. Kind of like C-470 in Denver but no tolls.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM

26,144 posts, read 48,818,667 times
True. Powers was to be a state road built to interstate highway specs, with ramps and overpasses instead of traffic lights.

Thanks to TABOR, there was no money to finish the job. Northern sections of Powers were unbuilt for years. In Nov 2005 they opened a stretch from Research to Hwy 83, but took shortcuts due to insufficient funds for bridge and overpass work. So they built signaled-intersections-at-grade where it bisects Briargate Pkwy, Union Blvd, Old Ranch Road and Hwy 83. Because of the way these four are configured, most of these intersections are usually found in the annual list of the top ten dangerous intersections in the city.

The final link of Powers is supposed to run from Hwy 83 over to I-25; but there's no money to do the job. That's why we have a thread in here about a goofy scheme called Copper Ridge Mall, a figment of someone's imagination to find a way to justify a bond issue to fund the last link of Powers over to I-25.

Someday Powers will be upgraded to freeway/interstate specs, but it's going to take a while.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM

641 posts, read 2,270,633 times
Interesting.

I wonder if the folks that bought those high-end homes in Cordera knew that they'd have a full blown interstate right in front of their homes...or perhaps worse....a gigantic noise retaining wall. There go those mountain views, eh?

This could suck.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,262,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
I wonder if the folks that bought those high-end homes in Cordera knew that they'd have a full blown interstate right in front of their homes...or perhaps worse....a gigantic noise retaining wall. There go those mountain views, eh?
LMAO

Old 04-12-2010, 01:06 PM

12,260 posts, read 24,394,453 times
If they did any kind of homework, and anyone should before they buy a house, they should of known. This was not a secret that the city or state kep from anyone. IMO this is the same as people buying a house by a airport then complaining when there is noise. What did they expect?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:43 PM

6,807 posts, read 10,454,887 times
I think in the long term turning Powers into what it was supposed to be all along would be a very prudent move. Especially if the further-east super highway is not going to happen.

Powers is a funny story - it was only in the past 5-10 years that they finished the connection from Fontaine Blvd that takes it over to Highway 16, yet there were plans and maps out there with that connection 20-30 years ago - it was planned all along but took 40-ish years to get around to it. I remember one time seeing a guy with a map at the intersection of Colorado 16 and Highway 85/87 totally lost and confused because 16 was supposed to keep going but it just didn't - his map had the plans that had never had actually happened.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,262,084 times
At some point they'll need to finish it...as it is I-25 from downtown to Monument is getting to where we should start calling it the "Large Hazmat Supercongested Supercollider...home of the Big Bang."

Tanker Crash Closes I-25 at Baptist for 12 Hours

Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM

224 posts, read 730,677 times
I got that post card too. I remember hearing about that plan when they did that Powers expansion north past Research. I think it was a good idea to do it phases and not put the overpasses in yet, but it has made some of those intersections unsafe. I would like to see a better access to I25 from Powers though both on the North end and the South end. I am not sure how I feel about the rest of Powers becoming a highway with no lights. It would be nice if there could be a business route and a bypass, but I have no idea how that could be designed. Powers can get rather congested, and its frustrating to hit stoplight after stoplight. I imagine it will only get worse in the future, so I'm happy to see plans are being proposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs