U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:53 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times

Advertisements

OK, You want to make a million bucks? Open a restaurant wherein the adults can drink, eat, socialize, and not be disturbed while the kids can be occupied. Can't be that expensive, cheaper than a baby sitter. Joe's Crab Shack is the closest thing with their playgrounds right next to a dining patio. Why aren't there more of these type things? Taking young kids for dinner makes going to the dentist feel like a back massage. How about an in-restaurant kids' play room staffed by a couple of $10/hour teenagers? Or a Chuck E Cheese or McDonald's Playland in a restaurant for adults?

So, where do you people with young kids go out for dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:29 PM

32 posts, read 193,534 times
Great idea in theory...I have worked in the restaurant industry for the last 16 years and although it is a great idea - it will stay that way because of too many variables...lawsuits and whatnot.

In California - there were a few theatres like that - show a movie, get dinner there and there is babysitting onsite. Thy closed down because of lawsuits...Gotta love today's society!

If one opens, I will support it though!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,191,883 times
Poor Richards downtown- book/play area in the back and Acacia Park is just a block south. Also, El Palinque off of Academy (north of Constitution) has a play area in it. Not the best Mexican, but it works. Otherwise, eating out with kids isnt all that fun, or at least as fun as it could be- so we stay in usually. Hope that helps.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,742,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, You want to make a million bucks? Open a restaurant wherein the adults can drink, eat, socialize, and not be disturbed while the kids can be occupied. Can't be that expensive, cheaper than a baby sitter.
How's about people teach their children to good "citizens", rather than a restaurant to accomodate children that can't contain themselves?

Seriously.

When I was a kid and there was actually a Godfather's Pizza here, I must have been about 8-9 years old. My mom took me there and the children (outside of myself) were rude and could not handle themselves in a public arena. You don't cater to children, you cater to adults with children that can handle themselves without being brats.

No offense to those parents with unruly children but every time I have gone to a restaurant with my brother and his children, if the kids can't handle themselves, to the restrooms they go for a discussion on how to handle themselves in public. If that didn't work, the check would be paid by my brother and they would go home with kids, not fed but maybe Cheerios when they got home. There's no room for children to not be acceptable in public.

I make no excuses. My mother was possibly more heavy-handed than most when it comes to children in public but we were never asked to leave and my mother made it a lecture before every family dinner until we were old enough to understand the rules without provocation.

Kid-friendly....my behind. You take your kids to a restaurant you must expect that your children follow the rules of acceptable child behavior. I have even found myself with my parents (who are in their 50s and 60s) annoyed by rabid children who's parents can contain them.

Sorry but if you want to take your unruly children out to dinner, head for McDonalds or other fast food places (sorry the food is bad for you) but at least train your children to behave themselves. If you can't leave them home with an unknowing babysitter and let the rest of us diners eat in relative peace.

Yeah, C Springs is pretty friendly for families but that doesn't mean that other parties in the restaurant should be subjected to children that can't contain themselves.

It is my opinion that it's kind of rude to think that restaurants should have to expend a pretty large amount of $ to accomodate families, even in family friendly CS. I think it's more upon the parents to raise children that don't disrupt and if the children do to have a bit of humor about it and remove the offending child so the child realizes that it's plain, not acceptable.

It will go a long way to raising good kids to accept what is and what isn't the norm in society. An outburst is not normal, to have kiddie playgrounds in restaurants...no thank you.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,742,075 times
BTW, I forgot to add.

Both Colorado Springs and the Southern Denver Metro Area have those places:

Biggs and Family Sports Center....an adult can go and let their children play while they go to the food area or in the case of Family Sports Center, enjoy a good meal with alcohol.

But I still stand by and think that children have enough places to be at in the state where the adults can still be adults.

Fargos is one. FSC and Biggs aside, the fewer the better for this woman.

Yeah, not a big kid fan.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM

13 posts, read 48,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, You want to make a million bucks? Open a restaurant wherein the adults can drink, eat, socialize, and not be disturbed while the kids can be occupied. Can't be that expensive, cheaper than a baby sitter. Joe's Crab Shack is the closest thing with their playgrounds right next to a dining patio. Why aren't there more of these type things? Taking young kids for dinner makes going to the dentist feel like a back massage. How about an in-restaurant kids' play room staffed by a couple of $10/hour teenagers? Or a Chuck E Cheese or McDonald's Playland in a restaurant for adults?

So, where do you people with young kids go out for dinner?
If kids are a problem in a restaurant it isn't the fault of the restaurant or the kids...it's the parents fault for not teaching the kids manners and how to behave in public. Unfortunately, a lot of today's young parents have no manners or know how to behave in public themselves, so how can they teach the kids anything?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 AM

32 posts, read 193,534 times
Why is it always on message boards that people criticize? Sure there are people that don't teach their kids manners and such but the OP was just trying to get ideas for an average family outing (or so I assume.)

I have three kids and overall they are well behaved kids. But NO KID is perfect (and no adult also). Kids have to learn to behave in restaurants and what better way to do that than to take them there. Does this mean we go to the best steak house in town and have a toddler who has missed their nap? No. But above posters please don't write down your prejudices. We would all get along alot better if we tried to understand each other instead of put someone down.

You never know someone situation until you are in it yourself.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:49 PM

18 posts, read 145,638 times
too true. it is hard to sometimes keep kids entertained for an entire meal. at home they play while it is being cooked, but not at the restaurant - they are expected to sit at the table during the whole process of ordering, cooking, AND eating. hard on a kid. i agree there should be more places like this. if mcd's can do it (and has been practically forever), so can other places!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:16 PM

24 posts, read 126,478 times
Just going to put my two cents worth in too. Have three boys, we travel lots, and when we take them to restaurants we really do try to get them to be on their best behavior. People go out to eat and enjoy themselves with their hard earned money and we want to enjoy ourselves too. But, all children have their days. So three words of advice: cards, pencil, paper. Amazing the games you can play with these. Time flies while food is being prepared when some kind of game is being played. And they are good for all ages. The little ones can color sort or just line them up and the bigger ones play. I rarely go anywhere without them. Toss a deck of cards into your car or bags and you will always have a 'quiet-ener'

Old 06-17-2007, 08:23 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,191,883 times
almost forgot to mention the establishments that have "kid's night", they occasionally have a magician. i havent been out for a little while so please forgive me if Mr. Black is no longer there...
Texas Roadhouse (Powers) Monday's I believe
Joe's Crabshack (Citadel) Wednesday's I think
Sorry I can't remember others/days..but it is worth checking into. I just haven't been out much with my kids lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs