Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM

727 posts, read 1,366,058 times

Advertisements

My wife an I are seriously considering moving to COS. Our situation is similar to Mike From Back East's history: Recently retired from the Govt; currently living in VA; tired of the congestion, heat humidity, etc., etc. We've visited and researched lots of places in the West and COS is on our very short list for a retirement location.

In searching the threads, I've seen some references to the conservative political and social climate in COS, but little that directly addresses to what extent it directly or indirectly impacts the community. We're political moderates and social liberals (but not wild-eyed zealots). I'd like information on the political and social climate as it affects (or doesn't affect) everyday life in COS. For instance, are local school bonds routinely voted up or down? Is the city struggling to provide basic services, and, if so, is that attributable to strong anti-tax sentiment, poor management, or a combination (I've heard the stories about the street lights and park maintenance). I'd appreciate any relevant and, hopefully, objective information (along with some well-reasoned opinion). Not looking to start any right/left battles. I'd just like to know if a couple of moderate to liberal retirees can find acceptance in COS (or should we just limit our search to Manitou?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
You should be fine.

40% in El Paso county voted for Obama. So it's not like everyone is a right wing wacco

Plus, since it is a conservative area, it's cheaper to live here. You could go to Boulder where 72% voted for Obama, but most of us couldn't afford a house there like we can in Colorado Springs.

Move to Manitou if you like living on a 10x10 lot. Meh. No thanks. It's a nice place to visit but not live, IMO.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
gn3

151 posts, read 416,684 times
You'll be fine, most likely. The much-maligned ultra-right-wing demographic is fading, to the extent that it was ever much of a big deal. People tend to be religious here, but are not nearly as in your face about it as other areas of the country, particularly the south. Though not religious myself, I have no problem with religiosity as long as it's a personal thing.

Just be prepared for some of the consequences of the growth at all costs mentality coupled with anti-tax sentiment: the city is sprawling and poorly planned, the downtown is tiny in comparison with the population base, and city services can be spotty, sometimes absurdly so (but in other regards more than adequate). I like it here, but all this just comes with the territory.

I think whether you'll like it here comes down more to what you like to do than your particular beliefs. My wife and I spend most of our time at home doing things like reading and gardening, or out enjoying the mountains. We're not the type that goes to concerts all the time or is constantly trying new bars and restaurants. If you're the latter, CO Springs could get old pretty fast. If you're like us, you'll find Springs overall clean, safe and affordable - not without its flaws, but workable on the whole.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
Yes - read the Independent - free weekly paper, and don't have The Gazette delivered to your house. You'll see lots of moderate and liberal folk - not all conservatives. We have a mix.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 AM

69 posts, read 223,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Yes - read the Independent - free weekly paper, and don't have The Gazette delivered to your house. You'll see lots of moderate and liberal folk - not all conservatives. We have a mix.
Gotta agree with that...I tried out the Gazette for a year, wanting to support the local paper, but it's just too biased and drove me crazy. If you want a semi-local daily newspaper delivered, get the Denver Post.

Yes, COS is struggling to provide basic services; I'm sure everyone has their own idea of why but my personal belief is the anti-tax sentiment in that town.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:28 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
Fear not, we have both types of music here... country AND western.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,858,972 times
There are plenty of people here who aren't far to the right, it's just that sometimes we're not as loud as the other side. Don't believe everything you hear or read about Pikes Peak region ... there are lots of moderates and far lefties. Now that certain unnamed entities have stopped trying to divide and conquer our little slice of heaven, things have quieted down considerable.

You'll love it here.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Though COS may have some financial difficulties stemming from conservative fiscal policy coupled with an economic downturn, it seems that like most of Colorado it's a live and let live attitude. People in Colorado seem to disagree all the time, but they also seem to get along better than most places I've been. I spend time with people I disagree with on social policy all the time.

There's extremes anywhere, and if your concerned about local political decisions in regard to civic services, then your concerns are likely legitimate. If you're concerned, however, with the compatibility of your beliefs and how easy it will be to get along with other people, I doubt you'll have a problem.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:11 PM

268 posts, read 1,129,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt314159 View Post

Yes, COS is struggling to provide basic services; I'm sure everyone has their own idea of why but my personal belief is the anti-tax sentiment in that town.
Of course, blame the people for not wanting to give away more money into the black hole, not the government for mismanaging what they already have.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera32 View Post
My wife an I are seriously considering moving to COS. Our situation is similar to Mike From Back East's history: Recently retired from the Govt; currently living in VA; tired of the congestion, heat humidity, etc., etc. We've visited and researched lots of places in the West and COS is on our very short list for a retirement location. .....
You'll do fine here.

People here get along perfectly well here in all respects despite how the national media like to make a big deal out of everything.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs