U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,895 times

Advertisements

Background:

I graduated from Millersville University PA with degree to teach art ed. K-12 in '04. I moved to Manhattan Beach,CA from 05-07 with my best friend to try out nanny life in LA beach towns... Moved back to Lancaster PA in 07 and have yet to find a full time art teaching position. I attribute this problem to a couple factors: #1 The high concentration of art schools in this area (Phili, lancaster, york, harrisburg..) produces a surplus of art teachers and therefore making completition VERY steep. #2 The struggling economy is cutting art/music/ and enrichment programs first. So I have been substitute teaching, tutoring and bartending to get by. ( I have 12 yrs of serving exp and 8 yrs of bartending exp.)
After contemplating different large cities in the South and in CO I have decided that CO Springs would be a great fit for me--thanks to the many great posts including those from Mike back east. Ive always considered CO just wasnt sure what part--Just a few months ago a friend of mine transfered out to COS and bought a house--so knowing someone is a big plus.

Questions:
1. In CA, i found it difficult to meet people despite my approachable and social demeanor (locals were not very accepting of outsiders/eastcoasters) and wonder if anyone has any experiences to share on this subject in COS?

2. My ultimate goal is to land a full time art teaching position (strongly prefer secondary)--but in the mean time I plan on substitute teaching in the fall and finding a serving/bartending job asap--I ve been looking on craigslist and applying but not getting any responses despite my extensive experience (most likely because I am not in CO yet, i am assuming) --I dont expect to have much problem landing a restaruant job (I prefer upscale-fine dining) but then again it was difficult in CA again because I wasnt a local--and it was all about who you knew-- Does anyone know how the restaurants hire for summer and if I should anticipate a difficult time finding a job?

3. After a year of residency in CO, if I still havent landed an art teacher job, I plan on going back to school to become dual certified --(most likely in spanish-but also considering graphic art design--and if all else fails go into nursing). I am waiting a year so that I qualify for in-state tuition costs. Specifically I checked out Front Range Comm. College and Community College of Denver and I came accross a COF Stipend which is a discount of $68 per credit and I am wondering how you qualify for that and what it is? Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,840,000 times
Amy, thanks for the kind words. IMO, anywhere along the Front Range is a good location, not just COLO SGPS. At over 2.5M people, the Denver Metro area is the big dog for most jobs and a great spot for younger folks. Given that many schools are cutting back on hiring, work all the websites for all the districts and see what you can find, then take whatever art teaching job you can find, anywhere from Fort Collins to COLO SPGS. We've a lot of threads already here in the Denver and COLO SPGS forums on teaching and school systems.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,655,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amycc View Post
Questions:

3. After a year of residency in CO, if I still havent landed an art teacher job, I plan on going back to school to become dual certified --(most likely in spanish-but also considering graphic art design--and if all else fails go into nursing). I am waiting a year so that I qualify for in-state tuition costs. Specifically I checked out Front Range Comm. College and Community College of Denver and I came accross a COF Stipend which is a discount of $68 per credit and I am wondering how you qualify for that and what it is? Any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!
Here's a good starting place on the COF.

COF - Colorado Department of Higher Education

Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 PM

5,011 posts, read 6,698,140 times
There's an art teacher job posted right now in D11. Closes soon.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Added a link to D11

Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 PM

649 posts, read 2,650,958 times
Have you gone on all the district websites to see if they are hiring?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:18 AM

85,032 posts, read 98,929,643 times
You will have to get a CO teacher's license to get a regular teaching job; you can sub w/o one, but you need to get some sort of certification. You have to do more than live here for a year to qualify for in-state tuition (which is what COF is, basically). You have to register your car in CO, etc, etc. I believe the in-state tuition website has been posted on this forum before, you can find it with a search. Here is the dept. of ed website which will give you some info about teacher's licenses.

Colorado Department of Education Home Page

Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 AM

649 posts, read 2,650,958 times
Some of the charter schools do not demand that you have a certification, but they do like to see that you are working on getting your certification. My kids' school, The Classical Academy is that way. Not sure about the other charter schools in Colorado Springs.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,114,517 times
Note that the OP said she prefers to teach art at the secondary schooling level. But I doubt she'd turn down anything decent, so those suggestions are still valuable, no doubt.

As for teaching in general, it's tough, real tough, right now, especially for those of us in the arts. I don;t nee to tell you that extensive teaching experience only goes so far, especially at the secondary level where they tend to hire artists over educators and portfolio is king. I work full time in another industry but I do keep my eye on teaching jobs, especially at the secondary level. There are a few colleges and a university in Springs with art programs, and although openings seem few and far between, there are some jobs there. I have been able to make a little bit of side income by teaching at the Arts Center here in Palmer Lake and through our school district's learning points program. It's not much, but it is a good way to get to your feet wet here and let the other artists, teachers and administrators in the area know who you are. This tactic will by no means be limited to any one particular area, so no matter where you end up you should get involved with you local arts community and alternative education programs first so that you can get busy doing and not just get discouraged by the resume and interview rat race. As for restaurant jobs, they seem fairly plentiful if you're good so you could no doubt get by on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs