U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 21,800 times

Advertisements

Did I read correctly in the Gazette that they are moving some of the CS military installations? Meaning less need for Gov't contractors? Seems like all the Gov't contractors out there are saying you can pick and choose the job you want because lack of cleared people currently out there.

Also, anyone know of any job fairs coming up? I keep checking monster, defensecareers.com, etc. Don't see any job fairs coming up, and I know I just missed one in April or May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,779,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattF_MD View Post
Did I read correctly in the Gazette that they are moving some of the CS military installations? Meaning less need for Gov't contractors? Seems like all the Gov't contractors out there are saying you can pick and choose the job you want because lack of cleared people currently out there.

Also, anyone know of any job fairs coming up? I keep checking monster, defensecareers.com, etc. Don't see any job fairs coming up, and I know I just missed one in April or May.
Recommend going to the big aerospace contractors' websites: Boeing, Lockheed, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Aerospace Corp, Sparta, etc.

Also try Careerbuilder.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
No closings here that I know of. Thousands of troops are moving into Fort Carson, mostly from TX. NORAD may move from Cheyenne Mountain to one of the local air bases, but they aren't leaving town.

Maybe I should do something with my old TS clearance, just doubt there's much here for strategic mobility types.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM

106 posts, read 510,269 times
BRAC closings are quiet now, and probably for a couple more years. The get active and then back off, and this is a "back off" period.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,519,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx99 View Post
BRAC closings are quiet now, and probably for a couple more years. The get active and then back off, and this is a "back off" period.
So, it's five years later. How do things look now? Now it's "sequestration", or whatever, isn't it?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM

553 posts, read 1,415,278 times
Indeed. Sequestration won't close any installations, but it will have a terrible effect on local defense contractors. Look for a lot of contractor types to be out of work, at least temporarily, around the first of the year. It's going to sting. A lot.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM

583 posts, read 1,301,045 times
The prediction is just over 2 million jobs lost (George Mason University Center of Regional Analysis Study), if sequestration takes place.

Defense Contractors Told By Obama Administration To Skip Pre-election Pink Slips - Investors.com

Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM

309 posts, read 358,933 times
Unless you are in Cyber Security/IT there aren't a lot of jobs out there right now, even if you've got a current TS/SCI clearance or above. Defense contractors seem to be taking a "wait and see" attitude regarding sequestration and are only filling critical positions. A year to year and a half ago they couldn't find enough people with clearances; you'd put in an application for a clearance job and hear something right away. Now you put in an application and you are lucky if they get back to you in a month! This area will be hit even harder if changes aren't made to the sequestration plan.

I don't know of any job fairs coming up but L3 is looking to hire engineering/tech types for a new contract and they have something scheduled through Pike Peak Workforce.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 PM

2,866 posts, read 7,098,661 times
I worked for the Fort Carson DOL years ago as a mechanic, those jobs aren't showing any sign of slowing, at least for the next few years.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM

641 posts, read 1,955,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
Unless you are in Cyber Security/IT there aren't a lot of jobs out there right now, even if you've got a current TS/SCI clearance or above. Defense contractors seem to be taking a "wait and see" attitude regarding sequestration and are only filling critical positions. A year to year and a half ago they couldn't find enough people with clearances; you'd put in an application for a clearance job and hear something right away. Now you put in an application and you are lucky if they get back to you in a month! This area will be hit even harder if changes aren't made to the sequestration plan.

I don't know of any job fairs coming up but L3 is looking to hire engineering/tech types for a new contract and they have something scheduled through Pike Peak Workforce.
Couldn't agree more. I'm currently employed (crossing fingers), but have had feelers out for IT type security clearance positions, and it does seem awful quiet. Positions that are out there for CO Springs, have been open a while, and no calls from any of those either.

If you're willing to go to Afganistan, Iraq, or Kuwait, there are some opportunities out there, but been there, done that....don't want to have to resort to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs