U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
yeah but it sounds like the OP is into the Santa Fe/hippie/alternative thing, so Boulder would be the ticket
Perhaps you should also look in NM and AZ. Sedona comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 11:37 AM

31 posts, read 63,748 times
Lots of arts and crafts in Colorado. Practically every small town has an annual festival and they all have local groups who support it. Of course, the larger cities do too.
I live in the Four Corners area and it seem some event is going on nearly every weekend at a town with 100 or so miles. And I've traveled a good part of the state, finding the same thing everywhere. I suspect that if craft fairs were my thing, I could find a different one for every weekend during the summer, at least.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:54 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,838,130 times
Wink Specifically maybe

As the OP hasn't checked back, they may have investigated real estate prices and become discouraged. The places I have in mind are appreciably more expensive than many properties in Tampa, FL, which is a bargain in comparison.

Lots of places have arts and craft fairs, most particularly and more usually only in the summer. Not like Tampa in that respect. If adding in such things as drum circles the potential list becomes far smaller. Squeezed a bit more when money comes into the equation. Offhand I can only think of two places in Colorado that might be suitable.

If used to and preferring something the size of Tampa then your search should probably focus on urban areas such as Ft. Collins or Denver. Areas of both have certain new age aspects, with the overall ambience you asked for. Boulder most certainly as well, and for larger towns it would be at the top of the list. But unless you have a healthy budget, or willing to slum it, you will not end up living in Boulder but a satellite town, none exactly cheap in their own right.

As mentioned elsewhere, Manitou Springs might be one of your better choices. It has the advantage and disadvantage of being adjacent, if slightly removed, from far larger Colorado Springs to the east. It enjoys a beautiful and inspiring location. As suggested by its name, it also has a number of natural hot springs, although my belief all these long since commercialized or otherwise contained. It is definitely a funky place, with an artsy vibe. Also a good inflow of tourists in consequence, but again this is probably largely seasonal. Although Colorado tends to be a fairly tolerant place generally, if a true hippie there wouldn't be many places one would feel right at home. Maybe nowhere. But Boulder would do, particularly down on Pearl St. As would Nederland, west of Boulder in the mountains. One might add Manitou Springs to that list. Crestone as well.

In some respects Crestone may come closest to that you are looking for. It is a small and remote place at the central edge of the San Luis valley, at the abrupt west edge of the Sangre de Cristo mountains. It is notable in being home to a variety of religious orders, Christian, Buddhist, etc. with their temples and what not just at the edge of town. These are not just churches, but more like retreats, places of contemplation and spiritual enlightenment. Not just anyplace is like this, in fact I can think of no other place like it. As for arts and crafts, well, you'll certainly have some local company to be more than inspired with. Tourists will be somewhat far and few between. One really has to be determined to find their way there. If looking for fairs you might have to take it on the road. Locally, there may occasionally be fairs in the valley, with a better chance day to day in South Fork, more particularly Creede. Although this last is more of a drive, although anything is from Crestone. But it is a lovely spot, would be all the more if they left the natural water flow and wetlands alone. If in looking, certainly a place to consider.

Creede, since I mentioned it, has gone somewhat upmarket of late. Or in other words more the arts and crafts kind of place you have in mind. Although bear in mind that it was established and run for some time as a mining camp. Now it exists largely on tourism, and as the county seat of Mineral county. A beautiful local, although I bet few if anyone in town has ever heard of Reiki.

Where they most certainly have is in Taos, NM. Unfortunately this place is no less expensive than anywhere else I've mentioned. But in terms of true art, lots of tourists, drum circles and all the rest, it is the real deal. Perhaps more than anyplace else you would find in Colorado it combines the elements you asked for. For down to Earth you would be better off in Ft. Collins, but Taos is a cacophonous blend of many influences. Some of them quite down to Earth, some probably haven't noticed their feet touching the ground in some time. It is less of that than formerly, say back in the 60's, but still with a very healthy measure. Do a little looking and you'll find there is a very rich tradition in that small town, of such luminaries as Mabel Dodge Luhan, Georgia O'Keefe and others, who have imbued it with a quite unique ambience.

Farther south Santa Fe will have some of that flavor on an appreciably larger scale. It isn't known for its low cost of living.

In fact, as said, nothing out here is likely to prove as inexpensive as Tampa. Whether it might suit you is another matter. Every place mentioned is different from the other, sometimes markedly so. If traveling as far as from Tampa, you might be advised to keep on moving and see some of the region. Opinions here can at best inform you of places perhaps placed on the itinerary. But in the moment you may discover your list of goals and desires shifts somewhat. The attraction of urban or rural may not prove the same in person. That ideal on paper faded in person.

Approached in as much an excursion as quest however and oh so much to discover. Of yourself perhaps most of all.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM

79 posts, read 248,947 times
I think Ridgway, CO also sounds like a good match. I don't know COL in FL, but Ridgway and most of CO isn't cheap.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,480,623 times
So which of those places have the lowest cost of living? Been to Taos, Santa Fe which I love both but up by Trinidad it seemed a little artsy and the home prices were cheaper.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,415,481 times
I think some people would enjoy Morrison by Red Rocks!!
I also think Steamboat Springs (a little bit cheaper for a ski resort).
Georgetown is pretty nice and close to other areas.
I don't know how Idaho Springs is, but fairly close to other areas as well.
Does anyone know how the town of Berthoud is now-a-days? Seemed pretty fun when I went there back in the day!!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Where they most certainly have is in Taos, NM. Unfortunately this place is no less expensive than anywhere else I've mentioned. But in terms of true art, lots of tourists, drum circles and all the rest, it is the real deal. Perhaps more than anyplace else you would find in Colorado it combines the elements you asked for. For down to Earth you would be better off in Ft. Collins, but Taos is a cacophonous blend of many influences. Some of them quite down to Earth, some probably haven't noticed their feet touching the ground in some time. It is less of that than formerly, say back in the 60's, but still with a very healthy measure. Do a little looking and you'll find there is a very rich tradition in that small town, of such luminaries as Mabel Dodge Luhan, Georgia O'Keefe and others, who have imbued it with a quite unique ambience.
Actually O'Keefe early on found the social atmosphere of Taos "poisonous" and preferred the relative isolation of Abiquiu,where she ended up buying a place. Always seemed a bit too self conscious and touristy to me.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,480,623 times
I spend at least a full week in the O'Keefe area. We go to Chama every year and then spend a week in Colorado too.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I spend at least a full week in the O'Keefe area. We go to Chama every year and then spend a week in Colorado too.
I envy you.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 PM

84,980 posts, read 98,832,039 times
There are lots of arts and crafts festivals all along the Front Range. The farmer's markets usually feature some craft booths, and I think just about every community has one now. Plus, just about every suburban city has an annual festival of some sort with craft booths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado