U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,179 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm planning to move out West in a couple months and am interested in hearing where you think the best places would be for me to live based on what I'm looking for.

A little background info - I currently live in Tampa, FL so anywhere with the same or lower cost of living is preferred. I'm a freelance graphic designer (all work is done online so unconcerned with moving to a place where clients will be easily found), I also make and sell handmade soap, as well as digital art.

I'm looking for a place that has an abundance of craft fairs and festivals in which I can sell my goods. Somewhere with an artsy vibe but with down to earth people. My political leanings are liberal, but this doesn't really matter as long as the people are friendly and respectful.

I'd also like a place that has spiritual activities available, such as drum circles, reiki, meditation workshops, etc.

I love to camp and hike so being near outdoor activities is also a plus.

Are there any places in Colorado that come close to fitting these preferences? I appreciate all input. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,489,116 times
This needs to be moved to the state forum.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 AM

5,011 posts, read 6,693,737 times
Try Manitou Springs.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,112,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Try Manitou Springs.
Ditto. Palmer Lake/Monument has a good arts community and our very own little arts center. But the drumming, chanting, trans-med thing sounds much more Manitou-ish.

I also agree that this should be on the state-forum unless th OP is specifically trying to target the areas around COS.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM

20,319 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Try Manitou Springs.
Perfect fit for Manitou Springs. IIRC they already have a storefront that sells fragrances and soaps, but why not another. Old Colorado City on the west side of COLO SPGS might do for that too, but the OP didn't mention opening a retail business. Then again, my wife buys handmade soaps off of websites like ETSY and Ebay, and hopes to make her own someday.

LaLa, there are probably other places in COLO that would suffice, so yes, I'll move this to the COLO forum so more folks can see it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,911,704 times
The only places in Colorado that have a lot of arts and crafts fairs with the artsy vibe and the other things are Boulder and Denver. Particularly Boulder.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,112,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The only places in Colorado that have a lot of arts and crafts fairs with the artsy vibe and the other things are Boulder and Denver. Particularly Boulder.
While Denver and Boulder do have a lot going on in the arts, they are certainly and by no means the only places in Colorado offering a lot of events for the arts.

try searching:
Arts (http://www.colorado.com/ArtsAndEntertainment - broken link)
Events (http://www.colorado.com/DoEventsAndFestivals - broken link)

Last edited by treedonkey; 06-10-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 11:36 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,204,579 times
Salida is a great artistic community, although it's economy is mostly driven by tourism. It's a small town, so I doubt it has loads of fairs to be your only support, but it would be a great place to live if you don't need a job!

From what you describe your looking for, I think Oregon would be a perfect fit. Eugene sounds like the place for you if you don't mind rainy winters. You might post your question in the Oregon forums as well.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM

486 posts, read 1,236,132 times
Agree with Manitou Springs, Old Colorado City & Salida.

Also, how about Evergreen or Pagosa Springs?

Florence Colorado also has an artsy, antique-shop little downtown but it is not known to be the most liberal place in the state.

There are tons of craft fairs & art and wine festivals in Canon City in addition to the weekly Farmer's Market.

Here's a link to a monthly arts newsletter for the Upper Arkansas Valley area (Buena Vista, Sailda, Canon City, FLorence area)

http://canonbeat.com/

Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,911,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
While Denver and Boulder do have a lot going on in the arts, they are certainly and by no means the only places in Colorado offering a lot of events for the arts.

try searching:
Arts (http://www.colorado.com/ArtsAndEntertainment - broken link)
Events (http://www.colorado.com/DoEventsAndFestivals - broken link)
yeah but it sounds like the OP is into the Santa Fe/hippie/alternative thing, so Boulder would be the ticket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado