U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,224,505 times

Advertisements

The cities around mesa county make stupid decisions just to put more money in their pockets. Even if the citizens protest, they still do what they want. For example, they have approved of a low housing developement by really nice homes.Now it will be interesting to see how it affects the value of the nicer homes there. Awhile back ago they built a carwash in the Redlands which I was told by one of the residents that nobody wanted it there. It is a real stupid place to put a carwash. Now they are putting a City Market in a really busy intersection. Not to mention it`s just a stupid place to put a grocery store.

When I talk to most people, they don`t like what the cities are doing.It`s like a lot of things they do is backward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 10:13 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,665,873 times
You can always move.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,224,505 times
Not in this economy

Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM

16,099 posts, read 20,030,167 times
I might not agree with a lot of cl723's opinion, as he does bring up some good examples. I'll just comment on the house zoning for now.

I've been here more than 2 decades and worked short term construction assignments in the 70's. Way back then I was kind of scratching my head when the massive development rolled in around 1993 or so about building high end housing around low budget neighborhoods and vice versa. I originally bought around the 28 road and Elm area, definitely the older part of Junction. At that time of the 80's houses were empty in all parts of town, particularly my area. Just down the block 7 houses in a row were knocked down in the late 90's and a cluster of 250 to 300K homes were built on that same block and an attached circle. It certainly helped the value of the immediate area for sure (wish I could have held on to the property at that time!) Maybe 5 blocks over you will see trailers on foundations and right across the street nice ranch homes sit from the construction building boom from the 1970's. And I've seen that in Clifton and Orchard Mesa as well.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-13-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM

51 posts, read 133,162 times
Are they going to go ahead and build the City Market at 12th and Patterson? That is such a stupid idea. I really wish we could get some more attractions geared toward families. When I was young we had Fun Junction, the Doo Zoo, two "dollar" movie theatres, the roller rink--inexpensive places that you could take your family to and spend an entire evening. Now what do we have? Banana$ Fun Park, where you can blow $60 for a few hours' worth of amusement? $5 per game laser tag? A nice, big movie theatre that costs $10.50 per adult ticket? A dinosaur museum all the way out in Fruita where half the animatronic dinosaurs are usually out of commission? A pretty botanical garden that's a wasteland unless you go on free Sunday, because no one in their right mind wants to pay $40 to take their kids on a 10 minute tour through two rooms of plants, fish, and butterflies? At least we have our rec center...oh wait. Well, I guess there's always the good old boob tube. Might as well just sit back with a couple $5 pizzas and warm a spot on the couch. At least it's affordable.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,758,652 times
Glacier Ice Arena Closing - Local News Story - KJCT Grand Junction

Old 06-14-2010, 02:30 PM

4,806 posts, read 8,816,699 times
yeah things are too expensive in Grand Junction.

but i don't see what's the problem with putting a City Market on 12th and Patterson? There's a Safeway on 29 and Patterson, so what's the big deal

Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 11,180 times
Ever since i've moved to the area i've heard people upset about these things. it took until the 2nd or 3rd month of school for me to see it was true! there isn't much to do in junction. Especially for college and high school age kids. There's Mesa theater on Thursdays for under 21 (stand in line until 11 just to get groped by old men who are also allowed in and then go to class at 9? no thanks) or go spend 12 bucks to see a movie. seriously??!! The parks are all overtaken by bums so i would be scared to take my kids there if i had any. I really feel like mesa county is resisting becoming a city for college students and young families. It's so hard to find housing if you are a college student and there's so little to do here anymore. :sigh:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado