U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:18 AM

14,132 posts, read 25,519,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Maybe with these economic times (bad), have you ever considered letting the employers know you are willing to take a pay-cut?

Heck; Right before 9-11 happened, I took a $18K pay-cut. I did eventually gain back the loss of income, but it took couple of years of proving to be a loyal, hard-working employee that matched the companies criteria's.

With that being said, I started to live below my "past" means. I sure do value what I do now with my money/spend now-a-days .
That doesn't really work. Employers figure you'll just jump when someone offers you more money. They'd prefer to have someone whose skills and experience more closely match what they're willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM

357 posts, read 1,100,441 times
there's a ton of discrimination against older workers and those with experience. if you've been out of work for a while, it's harder to get employed because employers discriminate against the unemployed.

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

Workplace bias complaints soar in Colorado region - The Denver Post

Long-Term Unemployed Now 46 Percent Of Unemployed, Highest Percentage On Record

it's just ugly out there.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM

82,794 posts, read 95,236,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Speaking of kids with no experience. My child works at a fast food place and two of the managers there are only 19 and 20. I was floored when I heard this. How does an 19 and 20 year old have enough experience to become a manager...

Another thing that I wanted to add is that we know someone out of work that use to work for the gas companies out here. Apparently, because of his age, he`s having a hard time finding work with another gas co. His wife said that they are wanting younger people to work for them and these younger folks don`t have the experience as the older ones do.
My daughter, age 22, worked at a movie theater and her boss was younger than her! My friend and I were saying that's not uncommon at our ages, but at 22, that's quite something!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
How the **** are us "kids" supposed to ever get experience if no one will hire us?
It seems that people on both ends of the age scale have a hard time finding work, ie, the very young (for the workforce) and the older worker. I have a couple of neighbors in their 50s (one near 60) who have been out of work for a couple years now. I also know couple new nursing grads who haven't been able to find jobs.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM

14,132 posts, read 25,519,684 times
One of the reasons employers prefer younger workers is lower health care costs. Now with the new health care bill young people can stay on parents insurance until 27(?) That makes that age group a lot more appealing to hire out of. Until we get national health insurance people over 50 are going to have a tough time in the job market, just for that reason.

Perhaps older workers could make themselves more attractive to employers by offering to buy insurance themselves.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM

4,550 posts, read 8,566,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanskills View Post
Hello

I am a journeymen electrician and am getting seriously pissed off now.

I am a journeymen Electrician with 10 years experience from projects all over the world and the only people getting hired are people with 1-2 years experience.

I dont get it, why the hell would you want to have a bunch of young kids who dont know what they are doing working for you?

Every day i go on craigslist and see "1-2 Apprentices ONLY!"...i just dont get it
Not suprising to me. I keep getting criticized on here for saying that the job market is poor, but it's the truth.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
One of the reasons employers prefer younger workers is lower health care costs. Now with the new health care bill young people can stay on parents insurance until 27(?) That makes that age group a lot more appealing to hire out of. Until we get national health insurance people over 50 are going to have a tough time in the job market, just for that reason.

Perhaps older workers could make themselves more attractive to employers by offering to buy insurance themselves.
Starting in September (I believe), young adults can stay on their parents' insurance until age 26 if they have no other option available. I do not know how this is going to be monitored, but having had to deal with college students on my insurance, I can almost guarantee they won't just take your word for it.

Older workers offering to buy their own insurance makes no more sense than offering to take a pay cut. While statistically older workers "cost" the insurance company more, that is not true of every individual person.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Starting in September (I believe), young adults can stay on their parents' insurance until age 26 if they have no other option available. I do not know how this is going to be monitored, but having had to deal with college students on my insurance, I can almost guarantee they won't just take your word for it.
That one is easy. They'll happily take your premiums and write a clause into the contract saying that the policy is void if another option was available but not taken. If anybody in that age range files a big claim, the insurance companies will start an investigation and refuse to pay the claim until the person can prove no other insurance was available.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,023,662 times
Didn't Obama pass some bill last year that everyone was praising him for - giving tax cuts to those who hire folks 16-25 years old? It was given a LOT of praise, here on CD... perhaps those threads could be searched and people with short memories, or newbies could read how wonderful the Democrats version of a tax cut is.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Didn't Obama pass some bill last year that everyone was praising him for - giving tax cuts to those who hire folks 16-25 years old? It was given a LOT of praise, here on CD... perhaps those threads could be searched and people with short memories, or newbies could read how wonderful the Democrats version of a tax cut is.
I sure as heck don't remember that; maybe you could provide a link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
View detailed profiles of: