U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:22 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,327,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarweasel View Post
I never grew comfortable with the excessive number of phds (creating a prohibitive job market to break into), ... the introverted/passive deameanor of the locals,
Hmmm... think there's a connection? ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:32 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,028,942 times
80 keys, I use to hike with some freinds all of the time in the winter. There`s nothing really that you need to prepare for except water, maybe some food and the right clothes. Matter of fact, i use to get so hot that I had to take off of my layers. I`ll have to disagree with your opinion.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:43 PM

9,810 posts, read 18,077,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarweasel View Post
, the introverted/passive deameanor of the locals,
I found that as well. Everyone seems to be numb and without emotion. Some of the weirdest people I have come across in the 47 states I have been to.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:59 PM

4,527 posts, read 8,327,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
80 keys, I use to hike with some freinds all of the time in the winter. There`s nothing really that you need to prepare for except water, maybe some food and the right clothes. Matter of fact, i use to get so hot that I had to take off of my layers. I`ll have to disagree with your opinion.
Well, the clothes is the thing. It's not like you should go hiking in your jeans in the snow.

A person needs some basic education on proper clothing for winter hiking. I would also argue it's more critical in the winter to carry the proper survival gear.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM

535 posts, read 1,308,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
My wife and I live in western Washington and we just got back from our vacation in Colorado (Denver, Fort Collins, Boulder, Colorado Springs). The mountains were beautiful but there are not many water bodies. The trees were decent, but not size and quantity like the trees in western Washington (not even close). Colorado definitely seemed less expensive overall than western Washington.

On the other hand, western Washington has beautiful mountains AND plenty of water bodies (including ocean). Western Washington has better air. Western Washington has tons more trees and much bigger trees than Colorado. Western Washington has islands, Colorado doesn't. Western Washington also has a unique northwest culture and style, whereas Colorado just seems to be kind of a midwestern/western/southwestern mix with no real uniqueness of culture or style.

That being said, Colorado is definitely beautiful (although not more beautiful than western Washington or Washington state in general). We really enjoyed our trip to Colorado and it's a wonderful state. However, my wife and I have decided to stay in Washington because we like it better.
I think the unique "Colorado Culture" is probably in the fringe areas of the state that most people doubtfully visit. The rest is really mixed up since many people move to the state, in the end that mix becomes pretty much just a common, consumer culture consistent with most places in the U.S.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 PM

9,810 posts, read 18,077,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
I think the unique "Colorado Culture" is probably in the fringe areas of the state that most people doubtfully visit. The rest is really mixed up since many people move to the state, in the end that mix becomes pretty much just a common, consumer culture consistent with most places in the U.S.
I think Colorado has a distinctive culture but one that has different facets to it. There is no one stereotypical culture that signifies Colorado but a blend of several.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,406,289 times
Viper,
I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to Colorado. There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking where you live better than where you visit, so it's good for you that you enjoy your home in Washington better than Colorado.

Denver is home to me, but I've lived in some great places in this country, including Washington D.C., Los Angeles, San Diego, and currently Monterey, California. I've passed through many more places in addition to those, and there isn't anywhere I've seen that I'd pick over Denver and Colorado. I'd walk away from anywhere at any time to live in Denver again, and in a few years, my family and I are heading back.

It's a great thing to love your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado