U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

17 posts, read 19,960 times

Advertisements

Currently live in NJ, about 30 min from NYC. In our mid 30s, no kids (not having any, we prefer dogs over kids). We visited last summer, stayed with friends in Lakewood. Loved Denver, Boulder, Co Springs. We like checking our sporting events, live music, the outdoors. Would like to be able to get to Denver in under 1 hour, but be far enough away where we can have a decent sized property.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 29,431,570 times
We have no idea of what decent means to you.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:59 PM

17 posts, read 19,960 times
i'd like at least 1 acre of land. to put it in perspective, our current home is on a 50' x 150' lot, stacked in a line of homes, and we pay about $6,200 in taxes. and our taxes are considered cheap for northern nj. i'll pause for a moment while everyone throws up.

ok, so i'd like to be in a town where i am not stacked up against my neighbors like a sardine, and have at least an acre of land. price range under $250K would be nice. we sometimes talk about just buying some land, and sticking one of those pre-fab solar houses on the property. that would be cool too.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,688 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Berthoud or rural spot near Colorado Springs (I don't do 'traffic lights')

BTW, It is currently cheaper to buy than to build. Find a trashed mobile home on nice acreage if you want a cheap lot with future potential. Or get a lot with mobile home that you could live in while building, and sell when done. Don't do a prefab on a nice country lot. You need some "structure" and strength for winds and winter. Getting water, septic, power, roads... is not cheap.

Build a Rastra / Apex (ICF) or panelized foam passive solar. Read the book 'low-tax-building', as my taxes went from $800 to $12,000/yr, (not Colorado this time), but it isn't pretty either. We were also forced from our ranch in Colorado due to tax burdens brought by immigrants back in the 1970's.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,052,369 times
CO Springs is a little over an hour to Denver, so you might want to think of the Monument or Palmer Lake area. I'm not sure if you'll find a house with an acre of land for the price you are looking for. But I will tell you that my property taxes on my 300K house is under 2K a year, and I"m in the "city" of Colorado Springs and pay more than the county taxes.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM

299 posts, read 809,635 times
Look into the areas around the Palmer Divide (Monument, Palmer Lake). It would be about an hour from Denver and you'd still be close enough to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. in Monument and northern Colorado Springs.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM

5,888 posts, read 9,505,258 times
Castle Rock
Littleton (not the city but the mountainous outlying areas with Littleton addresses)

Old 06-17-2010, 02:49 PM

57 posts, read 104,168 times
I agree, just north of Colorado Springs, Monument, Tri-Lakes area, Palmer lake, Larkspur. You can get a nice house, land, and still not have to drive forever to get somewhere.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:16 AM

726 posts, read 1,871,894 times
My suggestion to is to compare other bills too when setting you're housing budget. When we moved all we knew were the taxes were so much lower (than NY) but we were pleasantly surprised to see our electric and gas bill together is a third of what it was in NY. Our cable is a little cheaper, auto ins cheaper, gasoline cheaper, less income taxes mean we take home more pay and depending on the location less sales tax. All of these things add up tremendously. We definitely could have afforded a better house than what we bought but at least we get to sock money away. I might be wrong in assuming your bills are the same as what we had in NY but I think NJ and NY are pretty similar in COL. BTW the only thing more expensive that I've come across is water. You should check out the water rates of anywhere you plan to move to because they can vary greatly, we pay about 25-30 a month for water but I know someone one town over from us who says she's had bills over $100 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado