U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 AM

10,306 posts, read 11,748,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
I'll be honest, Josseppie. In my 4+ years at CSU-Pueblo, I've only met a handful of students who are not from Pueblo or Colorado Springs. Many of these students are attending the school on athletic scholarships. I also personally know 4 people who came to school here from other parts of the state last year and decided to transfer elsewhere because CSU-Pueblo doesn't give them a good bang for their buck. It's not because the school is bad, its because Pueblo just isn't a very desirable place for college students. At some point, college students need to have something to do outside of the campus.

When I was in high school, if I would have been offered a full-ride scholarship to play football at Adams State and had no other offers on the table, I probably would have accepted it. But if not, there is no way I would go to school there, because Alamosa isn't a place that I would have any desire to live. If I did decide to go to school at Adams State, I would probably transfer somewhere else after a semester or two. anyways.

If Pueblo were a desirable place for college students, things might be different. But as it is right now, the city has a long way to go.
That was true 10 years ago but not so true today and it will be even less so by 2020. In fact if this was the 90's I would not be nearly as excited about the university as I am now. Pueblo is quickly becoming a college town and CSU is the reason along with the fact Pueblo has the best weather in the winter in the state. I suspect that is why Denver did not want Pueblo to have a major university because they knew what would happen in time if we got one and now the time is here. Sure its debatable now as things are getting going but I suspect in as little as 5 years defiantly 10 years the debate will be moot as CSU Pueblo will be over 10,000 students on its way to 15,000 and eventually 20,000 students and not only the talk of the state but given national attention much like CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins are now. Especially once they win a few national championships in sports like Football.

In fact I predict the next generation will look at CSU Pueblo just like they look at CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins as all will have over 20,000 students, major sports programs and great degrees. The big difference is CSU Pueblo will be in a city with a warmer climate in the winter yet close to great skiing and that will be a draw for many students.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-06-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 AM

6,795 posts, read 4,224,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
At this point there is no difference between a degree from Colorado State University Fort Collins and Colorado State University Pueblo as they are governed by the same board with the same system president. In fact I would say that CSU Pueblo's campus has more potential then CSU Fort Collins campus because unlike in Fort Collins its foot ball stadium is on campus so as it grows along with Thunder Village it will really create a great college atmosphere only found at CU Boulder in Colorado.
Sorry, Joss, I'm just not buying it. CSU Pueblo is not the same as CSU Fort Collins. Just as UCCS and CU-Denver are not on the same level as CU-Boulder. CSU is the flagship campus in the system, and a full fledged land-grant university with over 60 areas of bachelor's study, and nearly 60 more in graduate study. You'll never be able to convince me me that a satellite campus offers the same level of academic experience. In many cases larger universities expand in order to open up their system to students of lesser income or lower GPA, as the tuition is usually less and the admissions requirements are not as strict as the flagship campus.

Even having the stadium on campus is hardly a difference maker here. Fort Collins is much more a college town than Pueblo, and if you gave just about anyone who is a fan of college football where they would rather watch a game, Hughs Stadium/Fort Collins would win it running away. You can't create a vibrant college atmosphere out of this air. It isn't something that is manufactured, but develops over time. Thunder Village (which doesn't exist yet) by your description sounds like an attempt to manufacture that environment. But because the school is on the very edge of town, this area will likely have a suburban feel to it. Contrived.

PS: Having more potential is a poor basis for comparison. Why compare what CSU Pueblo COULD BE to what CSU Fort Collins IS?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Sorry, Joss, I'm just not buying it. CSU Pueblo is not the same as CSU Fort Collins. Just as UCCS and CU-Denver are not on the same level as CU-Boulder. CSU is the flagship campus in the system, and a full fledged land-grant university with over 60 areas of bachelor's study, and nearly 60 more in graduate study. You'll never be able to convince me me that a satellite campus offers the same level of academic experience. In many cases larger universities expand in order to open up their system to students of lesser income or lower GPA, as the tuition is usually less and the admissions requirements are not as strict as the flagship campus.

Even having the stadium on campus is hardly a difference maker here. Fort Collins is much more a college town than Pueblo, and if you gave just about anyone who is a fan of college football where they would rather watch a game, Hughs Stadium/Fort Collins would win it running away. You can't create a vibrant college atmosphere out of this air. It isn't something that is manufactured, but develops over time. Thunder Village (which doesn't exist yet) by your description sounds like an attempt to manufacture that environment. But because the school is on the very edge of town, this area will likely have a suburban feel to it. Contrived.

PS: Having more potential is a poor basis for comparison. Why compare what CSU Pueblo COULD BE to what CSU Fort Collins IS?
While UCCS and CU Denver are both satellite campuses of the main campus in the system, CU Boulder, CSU Pueblo is not a satellite campus of CSU Fort Collins. CSU Pueblo has its own history as it was started over the objections of Denver who did not want Pueblo to have its own university by a senator from Pueblo in the 1960's as Southern Colorado State College then as it grew it became the University of Southern Colorado however it was a joke so it became part of the Colorado State System and then took on the name Colorado State University Pueblo. In fact today CSU Pueblo has a campuses in Colorado Springs that is doing good and its main campus in Pueblo has its own sports programs, UCCS and CU Denver can't say that. So as it grows in the next 10 years, not some distant possibility, CSU Pueblo is becoming just as prominent in the system as CSU Fort Collins is. That is good for Colorado as we are becoming like the larger states who have more then one prominent school in the system like UCSD and UCLA in California.

I agree that they should of built CSU Pueblo near downtown but they are making up for that by developing a urban center around the university known as Thunder Village that should give the school a urban feel by 2020. At this point that is the best we can do.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM

299 posts, read 513,075 times
Quote:
That was true 10 years ago but not so true today and it will be even less so by 2020. In fact if this was the 90's I would not be nearly as excited about the university as I am now. Pueblo is quickly becoming a college town and CSU is the reason along with the fact Pueblo has the best weather in the winter in the state. I suspect that is why Denver did not want Pueblo to have a major university because they knew what would happen in time if we got one and now the time is here. Sure its debatable now as things are getting going but I suspect in as little as 5 years defiantly 10 years the debate will be moot as CSU Pueblo will be over 10,000 students on its way to 15,000 and eventually 20,000 students and not only the talk of the state but given national attention much like CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins are now. Especially once they win a few national championships in sports like Football.

In fact I predict the next generation will look at CSU Pueblo just like they look at CU Boulder and CSU Fort Collins as all will have over 20,000 students, major sports programs and great degrees. The big difference is CSU Pueblo will be in a city with a warmer climate in the winter yet close to great skiing and that will be a draw for many students.
You're still wrong. Let me list a few cities and you tell me what is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the name:

Tuscaloosa, Alabama:
Norman, Oklahoma:
Lawrence, Kansas:
Lubbock, Texas:
Berkeley, California:

Now, tell me what comes to you're mind when I mention these cities:

Youngstown, Ohio:
Sioux Falls, South Dakota:
Eau Claire, Wisconsin:
Odessa, Texas:
St. Cloud, Minnesota:

Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
You're still wrong. Let me list a few cities and you tell me what is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the name:

Tuscaloosa, Alabama:
Norman, Oklahoma:
Lawrence, Kansas:
Lubbock, Texas:
Berkeley, California:

Now, tell me what comes to you're mind when I mention these cities:

Youngstown, Ohio:
Sioux Falls, South Dakota:
Eau Claire, Wisconsin:
Odessa, Texas:
St. Cloud, Minnesota:
What?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM

299 posts, read 513,075 times
Quote:
What?

You made the point that you felt that Pueblo was turning into a college town, so I went ahead and listed 5 communities (Tuscaloosa-Berkeley) that fit the stereotype of "College Town" to a T. In those cities, the university is the biggest part of the fabric of the community and is what gives the city it's identity.

The next 5 communities (Youngstown-St. Cloud) are all towns that have populations that are close to Pueblo, and they all have small (but good) 4-year universities. None of the universities in those cities are as big of a part of the fabric of the community as they are in real "College Towns," and thus, the university is not what gives the city it's identity. I think its fair to group Pueblo in with those cities, which means that the argument that Pueblo is turning into a "College Town" doesn't hold much ground.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
You made the point that you felt that Pueblo was turning into a college town, so I went ahead and listed 5 communities (Tuscaloosa-Berkeley) that fit the stereotype of "College Town" to a T. In those cities, the university is the biggest part of the fabric of the community and is what gives the city it's identity.

The next 5 communities (Youngstown-St. Cloud) are all towns that have populations that are close to Pueblo, and they all have small (but good) 4-year universities. None of the universities in those cities are as big of a part of the fabric of the community as they are in real "College Towns," and thus, the university is not what gives the city it's identity. I think its fair to group Pueblo in with those cities, which means that the argument that Pueblo is turning into a "College Town" doesn't hold much ground.
I admit I am just making a educated guess but it will be interesting to see the kind of impact CSU has on Pueblo once the school gets to around 20,000 enrollment with a major football team and Thunder Village is built enough to where the students can live, work and play. As well as a R&D park that attracts major companies that work with CSU Pueblo. I have a feeling the kind of impact on Pueblo will be profound and surprise everyone here including me.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM

6,795 posts, read 4,224,694 times
Quote:
I admit I am just making a educated guess but it will be interesting to see the kind of impact CSU has on Pueblo once the school gets to around 20,000 enrollment with a major football team and Thunder Village is built enough to where the students can live, work and play. As well as a R&D park that attracts major companies that work with CSU Pueblo. I have a feeling the kind of impact on Pueblo will be profound and surprise everyone here including me.
When do you think that will happen? It's going to take years, if it even reaches that point at all.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM

138 posts, read 202,604 times
Well it wont happen if josseppie ever wakes up, then his dream will be over

Old 08-06-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
When do you think that will happen? It's going to take years, if it even reaches that point at all.
I would say in 10 years the schooll will be well on its way to that vision. The university might not be at 20,000 students by then but I would be willing to bet they are over 15,000 students and Thunder Village as well as the R&D park will be going strong as both are starting now. Also, by 2020 its likely the football team will be a power house in division 2 and most likely would have won at least one championship and that will have a great impact on the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado