Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:11 PM

336 posts, read 697,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Since you feel the need to nitpick the difference between migrant and immigrant, I'll let you have your moment of glory. Feel better now?
Coming from someone who nitpicks people to death...thanks for
accepting some well deserved nitpicking in return...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'on View Post
LOL, real loud. I was thinking the exact same thing Terri722!!

I plan on checking out Colorado in January, hopefully Colorado Springs, moving from Scottsdale. I've lived in Scottsdale for 1.5 yrs. and am looking for a place that is more gracious towards nature. Any input about Colorado Springs?

Hey Travelin'on...we do not even live there (yet)...we will be making a
roadtrip next week to check out some houses... I have been to
Colorado quite a few times and just as recently as August...so I do
want to tell you that some of the negativity that you see on here is
not how you will be treated in person...I have never ran into anyone
who was rude to me while visiting Colorado...good luck to you...I hope
that you find a wonderful place...

Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM

Travelin'on...I found this on here...hope it's a little helpful...

Colorado Springs is quickly approaching a half a million in population. Traffic is the major complaint. Crimes stats here are lower than comparable cities. It is very dry and the altitude is sometimes an issue. I would suggest that you vacation here for a week and check us out. We have an awesome zoo. The Cog railway takes you to the top of Pikes Peak.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Since you feel the need to nitpick the difference between migrant and immigrant, I'll let you have your moment of glory. Feel better now?
Wow. Just wow. If you truly think there is no difference between third world Mexicans and Salvadoreans illegally crawling through the border, turning neighborhoods into slums, speaking an entirely different language, and then having half a dozen or more children per family creating whole new generations of poverty and gangs, and respectable middle class Americans from California moving to Colorado and contributing to the local economy and society [mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 11-05-2008 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: please - no rude comments!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,793,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Wow. Just wow. If you truly think there is no difference between third world Mexicans and Salvadoreans illegally crawling through the border, turning neighborhoods into slums, speaking an entirely different language, and then having half a dozen or more children per family creating whole new generations of poverty and gangs, and respectable middle class Americans from California moving to Colorado and contributing to the local economy and society, if you call that different "nitpicking," then you are so twisted you are beyond hope.
No I don't see much of a difference between migrants and immigrants besides their legal status as a 'citizen'. I made a typo and said immigrant when I meant migrant. If you go look up migrant in the dictionary, you'll find that a Californian moving to Colorado would properly be termed a migrant.

Thanks for the post though. I got a little chuckle over the 'pilgrim' making disparaging remarks about immigrants.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:35 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
No I don't see much of a difference between migrants and immigrants besides their legal status as a 'citizen'. I made a typo and said immigrant when I meant migrant. If you go look up migrant in the dictionary, you'll find that a Californian moving to Colorado would properly be termed a migrant.

Thanks for the post though. I got a little chuckle over the 'pilgrim' making disparaging remarks about immigrants.
Congratulations! You have just become the first person to appear on my ignore list!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,831 times
If you frame your new CO license plate with a bronco's frame, it'd be tough for people to suspect anything, they'd accept you more openly, It's like your already family. Throw on an avs bumper sticker and your invited over for thanksgiving.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Don't ever apologize for where you're from! It's nothing to apologize for!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:44 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
While the Broncos license plate frame would be a nice touch, it's totally unnecessary. Now that I'm living in Colorado for the third NFL season, I find myself rooting for the Broncos in most matchups. There are however a few teams that I am still loyal to above and beyond the Broncos. I'm a pretty loyal guy. I don't stop rooting for a group of players simply because I change my geographical location. Only when those players move on, will I stop rooting for their current team. Meanwhile back at the ranch, the Broncos are growing on me. It's a blast watching games with my local friends who are all die hard Bronco fans, especially when the Broncos are playing one of my old teams. We have alot of good natured fun about the whole thing. They all have the maturity and the inner security not to feel threatened by someone rooting for another team. In no place that I have ever lived, have I spent much time with anyone who takes the local team or die crap too seriously. The team either grows on me or it doesn't. I've always been somewhat of a Broncos fan, so this is an easy adaptation for me.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-02-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Relax everyone. What goes around, comes around. In the late 60's - early 70's I remember my oldest brother bringing home friends from college for Thanksgiving & such. They were the out of state students who came to CO to ski, er, I mean go to school on their parents' dime. Every single kid was from Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. When I was in high school in Denver in the late 70's, I started meeting a lot of Massachusetts natives & New Yorkers - that's how I ended up in NY in fact That was around the time the "native (license plate)" bumper stickers started showing up.

When I moved to NY, all I heard was "why on earth would you leave CO to live here?" And now I hear it about almost any state. People always want what they can't have; they always want to think the best about their own anything & they are always going tel you there is a better way. I took a justified amount of ribbing from my own family every time I came home to visit & couldn't shut up about "in NY we have (insert anything) that CO doesn't" ........

My previous work took me through a lot of the U.S. & I'm happy to say I found something to like about everywhere. People are nice if you give them the opportunity to be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado