U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 21,801 times
Default Thnking of a move to Colorado. Suggestions?

Hello to all who currently live in Colorado and thanks for looking at my post. We are a family of 5 and have lived in Alaska for the past 18 years. I am not writing about weather concerns as I realize snow and cold will be part of the deal and that's OK with us. We are hoping to increase our sunshine factor and are looking for a litle bit of land(2-5 acres or more) to have a small family farm. So, I'm going to put our hoped for desires out there in the chance someone may have a suggestion for us.

I am not looking for trendy high priced areas, but we do need proximity to an airport(within about an hours drive). Somewhere relatively safe(few or no sex offenders a big plus) and a place with a number of small farms. I want to stay away from large farming operations as they probably use things on their crops I do not want to have in my air, land or water. Think organic here. Schools are not as important as we currently home school though we may at some point use a high school. A small town outside of a larger city where we can utilize the necessary services there when needed(doctors, hospitals, minor shopping).

So, if you have any real ideas on a place that might fit this picture, please post a reply and I will look at the place more in depth.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 AM

17,098 posts, read 23,337,775 times
Okay, you do not want to be in the high country of COLO, long cold snowy winters, short growing season, outrageous prices for homes and land.

That leaves you large areas to pick from:

- Western Slope, aka Grand Junction and environs; desert-like, warm, sunny, affordable, known for orchards, etc.

- Front Range, aka the I-25 corridor. Not much affordable land near I-25, but if you go east 5-10 miles you get onto the plains where acreage is affordable and the growing season is longer. You can go quite a ways east in fact, as it's largely flat for 150 miles from I-25 to Kansas/Nebraska; about 40% of COLO lies on these eastern plains where a lot of corn, ranching and feed lots fill much of this sector. There's also a good deal of agriculture down in the S.E. corner of the state, known for cantaloupes and other field crops, plus corn. Towns like Rocky Ford, La Junta, Springfield and more. The area around Canon City is warmer and milder and might be just your ticket. Much to choose from.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM

299 posts, read 490,856 times
Take a look at an area like Brighton. Its a small community located about 2 miles northeast of Denver but still has all of the amenities that you're looking for. You might have to look to buy a property outside of the city limits, but as far as I know, there is plenty of space out there.

I'm not to familiar with the farming tactics that are used throughout Colorado, so someone else will have to answer that question. As for proximity to the airport, any of the eastern suburbs of Denver will provide you with that.

Another area you might want to look at is Falcon (East of Colorado Springs). The area is growing very fast, is located on the plains, and is pretty close to the Colorado Springs airport. The CO Springs airport doesn't offer all of the options that DIA does, but it is still a good regional airport.

Good luck with your search and if you have any other questions, ask away.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM

13,017 posts, read 11,690,669 times
Good suggestion by goyanks 57. Was through Falcon and earlier this year and yea, there is a surprising amount of growth there. First time I've been east of the Springs in a long time. The storms can get a tad active out there, if memory serves a tornado touched down north of there near Elbert just last week. But hey, it happens out there on the plains.

An area that doesn't get mentioned a lot on the forum is the Fowler/Olney Springs area. It is about the halfway point between Pueblo and Rocky Ford on U.S. Hwy 50. An agricultural area for sure, but close enough to Pueblo (I'm thinking 20 miles) where you still have the major retail stores for shopping. And if you want to take a one day trip to the mountains, the Rye-San Isabel area against the Wet Mountains is post card pretty. And then there are the Sangre De Cristos. Awesome!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-24-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM

23 posts, read 52,333 times
I DO NOT recommend Grand Junction/ Western Slope area if you are looking for affordability. The home prices are outrageous here and pay is LOW unless you are in a highly specified field. This town is known for " boom and bust" due to the oil and gas industry. Unemployment is really high right now, with hundreds of applicants for each available job opening. I want to move and plan to soon, once the housing market is better. If Colorado is your choice, I would stay on the Eastern Side of the state.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM

3,762 posts, read 4,915,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Sh3llB3ll View Post
I DO NOT recommend Grand Junction/ Western Slope area if you are looking for affordability. The home prices are outrageous here and pay is LOW unless you are in a highly specified field. This town is known for " boom and bust" due to the oil and gas industry. Unemployment is really high right now, with hundreds of applicants for each available job opening.
This is absolutely correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado