U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 PM

6 posts, read 23,881 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly looking to relocate to CO from MI (depends on if I can transfer with my job??) and were wondering if some of you in CO could help us out with the pros and cons of moving out there.

I am someone growing up in MI that loves trees and water (which I know there is hardly any out there) and we are looking for a home that needs some updating as my husband is in the construction trades. He is looking to start his own business in remodeling, landscaping and any other home alterations needed. Is this a good business to get into in CO?? We were kind of looking in the Colorado Springs area and Black Forest Area?

I will be driving up to Denver for my job if I can transfer and was wondering what the commute is from colorado springs area?

Also what about the water resources out there, I hear they are getting really bad out there? Should we look for a home on well or city water?

Just need some insight as I am nervous to move out there eventhough the economy in MI sinks right now.

Please help!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 07:30 PM

86,897 posts, read 102,352,012 times
Quote:
I will be driving up to Denver for my job if I can transfer and was wondering what the commute is from colorado springs area?
Depends on where in COS to where in Denver. Could be anywhere from 1 - 1 1/2 hrs each way, in good traffic.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 43,986 times
The commute from Colorado Springs into Denver everyday could get old - figure in traffic over an hour and 15. As far as places to live - depends on your price range. Denver can be more expensive around 230,000 or higher. COS - cheaper. Construction is booming (not sure if it is the best thing). They are constantly building building building and not as many people seem to be buying? We have a very high foreclosure rate out here because of the extent of overbuilding and unregulated Mortgage industry. However... that said - your husband should be able to find work without hesitation. There is a major water situation as well - also due to overbuilding and not smart planning. If you are looking for a good are to fix a home - you may try looking into the suburbs - with the foreclosure rate - you may be able to find a good buy that needs a little work. I live in Aurora - seen houses in my area as low as the 140,000's (small 1000 sq ft 70's ranches - and so on).

Good luck!
Chris

Old 06-22-2007, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 23,881 times
Thanks for the information Chris! My drive would most likely be from the Black Forest area into Highlands Ranch (avaya) would that be a shorter commute than into Denver?

Well that is good to hear that my husband will have some work in the building trades, but I agree it is sad to see all of the cookie cutter homes going in I love nature and from when I visited Pikes Peak when I was about 10 Colorado has changed drastically.

So as far as the water situation goes is Colorado working on planning for the future and the increased water useage? with all of the new people comming in? The areas we were looking at all have wells and I was a little leary about looking at these since I read online that the people on wells may not have water in the near future. Is this true? Did not know if they have done any recent water tests on the Denver aquifer (I think that is where most of the groundwater comes from?).

Thanks again for you comments I can use all the help I can get!!

Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,794,220 times
You can search for my other posts about the Denver acquifer, so I don't have to repeat, but it's not in great shape. Is Colorado planning well for its future? No. For the most part, it has really no plan at all--just let the subdividers and developers have their way. The future is somebody else's problem.

Finally, in my personal opinion, the very LAST thing I would do is locate where I have a built-in lengthy commute. With the energy situation in this country what it is (and I am close enough to that industry to know how dire it is going to get pretty soon), there is no way I would tie myself into a lengthy auto-dependent commute. That lifestyle is going to go the way of the dodo bird--all across this country and probably sooner than most people think.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:42 PM

147 posts, read 560,388 times
Default Commute Time

Bently19 -

I made the commute for two years from eastern Black Forest to a company located in the same complex where Avaya is located. During the summer and in good weather it would usually take 1 hour. I would leave at around 6:30am to avoid the heavier traffic. Now in the winter time it's a different story. Mounument Pass is downright treacherous after a snow storm and I wouldn't advise going that route at all. I usually took Hwy. 83 north to County Line road and then west over to I-25. During the winter with bad roads you can easily add another 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to your commute.

If you don't have to live in Black Forest / COS, I would definitely try and live further north to avoid the commute (and save the gas $$).

Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Default Might consider Franktown, Elizabeth area

Bently-19,
You might consider the Franktown or Elizabeth areas. The terrain and forest is similar to Black Forest. I live in Elizabeth and love it. And yes, I am on well water. It tastes so much better than city water, especially some cities. We have a mixture of meadow and Ponderosa Pine trees on our little ranch, so we get to enjoy beautiful sunsets, yet have mature pines in our backyard!

The commute is much easier than having to deal with Monument Hill in the winter time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado