Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 49,062 times

Advertisements

What areas have the toughest, most thorough police officers/department?

I have an overprotective friend who is looking to move into Colorado, but she's worried about her kids and crimes and wants to move to an area where the police take care of business and are good at proactively investigating before crime occurs. She's doing research on the other moving factors but couldn't find much on this topic and asked me since I live in the state, but honestly haven't had too much experience with the police and have met officers from only a few big departments.
Here's the ones I know of so need not mention them, but would like to see others I don't know described, doesn't have to be city can be county too:
Colorado Springs - In my experience, I see a lot of cruising and while they do take care of things I notice they typically don't stop or check out vehicles with hazards on or on the side of the roadway and I've called a few times on possible DUI drivers and a couple times was kind of dismissed and I never saw an officer respond despite seeing officers running radar nearby. I live in the springs so kind of have a good idea on what to expect from them. Generally they are pretty good though.
Denver - Busy department obviously so some small stuff seems to be usually skipped over such as the vehicles stopped on the side of the road or with hazards on stopped, once was stopped at a restaurant and could see a car on a decently busy road in the middle of the night stopped with its hazards on for over and hour and even though 5+ officers passed none stopped. Again, generally pretty good.
Canon City - I had a flat while driving through Canon City once, not even on a main road, and I was shocked at how quickly an officer houdini'd his way to me and was very helpful. Had another encounter with a speeding violation(oops) at another time, and have driven through several times. Out of those departments I've met(more than listed), Canon City ranks highest with me, seem like a good and thorough bunch so, so far Canon City is the best I have to recommend my friend including other factors.

Any comments will be passed along so feel free to say whatever. The other factors will be researched by her so I'm just trying to help her out with this one since it's harder to find information like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:42 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,611,557 times
I recently moved to Fort Collins and have heard that the Larimer County Sheriff's Department is pretty tough. I have heard that since there is very little crime in Larimer County that the officers often have a lot of down time that they use harrassing people for very minor offenses.

I do see squad cars all over, waiting to pull people over all the time.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 AM

50,133 posts, read 23,792,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I recently moved to Fort Collins and have heard that the Larimer County Sheriff's Department is pretty tough. I have heard that since there is very little crime in Larimer County that the officers often have a lot of down time that they use harrassing people for very minor offenses.

I do see squad cars all over, waiting to pull people over all the time.
I guess I don't quite understand what you are saying. Are you saying they are falsifying data and unfairly arresting or ticketing people? In what ways are they "harassing" people?

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,143 times
The methods typically used by bored police to harass people who are not really threatening the social order are pretty basic and well-understood.

Nonetheless, I'm still wondering how "proactively investigating before crime occurs" is even possible. Perhaps some Colorado department has hired...what's that TV infomercial psychic's name....oh yeah - Madame Cleo. Or Jeanne Dixon? Of course, Nostradamus is long dead, so he's outta the runnin'.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 AM

5 posts, read 49,062 times
Okay maybe I worded that weird, what I mean is that even when a crime has not occurred they are still out there patrolling and have a good level of communication/interaction with the public. A pro-active police department has a very clear presence and a lot of times that is enough to deter some crime.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:25 PM

420 posts, read 764,920 times
Boulder cops are tough. They beat and tased the **** out of me when I was sleeping in front of my apartment drunk . They awoke me, I was confused and tried to walk away and two big ass guys let me know that I wasn't going anywhere. So yeah, move to Boulder and the kids will be safe ha.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM

108 posts, read 377,439 times
With the current economic conditions, priority is not fighting crime -
it is collecting revenue. DUI's and speeding tickets put more money in the local coffers
than assisting motorists or preventing crime.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,063,645 times
I live in Canon City and , I think our law enforcement is awesome. We did lose one of our best a year ago...Johnny Valerio. He was wonderful and one that talked a LOT of jumpers that go to the Royal Gorge to,...well, ya' know?... Anyway,...it's a great little town that's close to everything and has many wonderful things around. What criminal would want to stick around with a TON of prisons and guards as neighbors...? Oh yeah, stupid ones (which most of them are) but, safe nonetheless!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,086,692 times
The Denver cops have almost always been rude and confrontational. They are also the subject of several wrongful death lawsuits. I know that they have tough areas to patrol, but they are no tougher than some of the areas of Lakewood. In my experience, Lakewood has the best police force in the metro area. They are extremely professional, helpful, and thorough. They beat Denver's police force by a mile (or two). I have also had good interactions with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

It also seems that the smaller the department is, the more they tend to focus on traffic infractions (revenue) or "suspicious" people. Everyone I know that has to drive through Sheridan or Englewood on a regular basis has been stopped. I also know quite a few people who were driving through Bow Mar, Greenwood Village, and Cherry Hills have been pulled over for DWB because they did not fit the same demographics of the area.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,483,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
Boulder cops are tough. They beat and tased the **** out of me when I was sleeping in front of my apartment drunk . They awoke me, I was confused and tried to walk away and two big ass guys let me know that I wasn't going anywhere. So yeah, move to Boulder and the kids will be safe ha.
Unless your kid is JonBenet!

Hahahahah...Boulder cops aren't tough. They are idiots who want to treat every minor infraction as if it is a felony but couldn't solve a murder case if they watched it happen. You're kids will be safe from those dangerous jaywalkers, crazy driver's who go 38 in the 35 zone, and inebriated college kids who pass out on the lawn, but they won't be too safe from murderers or rapists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado