Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 79,147 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I’m thinking on moving to Colorado. I’ve tried to do some research about Colorado and how different it is from North Western Pa. I hope I can make a trip out there in a few weeks. I was working in Montpelier Vermont, but that area just wasn’t working for me . Before I moved to Vermont I was debating on Colorado and Washington since I like the outdoors, hiking, biking and winter season. I’m curious how the winter season and summer seasons compare to Pennsylvania. Any info, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have 2 cats, would they experience and elevation sickness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM

137 posts, read 400,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheez73 View Post
Hi,

I’m thinking on moving to Colorado. I’ve tried to do some research about Colorado and how different it is from North Western Pa. I hope I can make a trip out there in a few weeks. I was working in Montpelier Vermont, but that area just wasn’t working for me . Before I moved to Vermont I was debating on Colorado and Washington since I like the outdoors, hiking, biking and winter season. I’m curious how the winter season and summer seasons compare to Pennsylvania. Any info, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have 2 cats, would they experience and elevation sickness?
Colorado is a big place. It might be helpful, in answering some of your questions, to know what part of the state you are looking at? If its the front range than winter in Denver will be a lot nicer than Pennsylvania or Vermont. You will be surprised at the amount of sunshine and warmer temps. The outdoors is amazing. The cats will be just fine. Just make sure you drink a lot of water and take a few days to get use to the elevation.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Air is dry here. Most days are primarily sunny. Very little rain except for summer T-Storms and some snow which melts off quickly along the Front Range, aka the I-25 corridor. Not gray or overcast for weeks or months like some people claim is true back in PA, etc. Year round sports. Mountain areas are very cold with 200-400 or more inches of snow per year. Cheaper than Seattle, generally.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
And way more expensive than western PA. The mountains are "real" mountains, big old things with snow on the tops, unlike the rolling hilly mountains of PA.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:31 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Hi, I’m thinking on moving to Colorado. I’ve tried to do some research about Colorado and how different it is from North Western Pa.
Haha, Colorado is SOOOO much better than NW PA. I should know...I grew up in Venango County (Franklin/Oil City) and I have been to CO a ton of times.

In Denver the summers are hot and dry. The winters are weird and unpredictable. One day you will get a bunch of snow and the next day it all melts away. One thing that is constant...sun. It is sunny and beautiful all of the time. It is a misconception that Denver is in the mountains. It is actually in the high plains next to the mountains. The elevation is not terribly high in the Denver metro. Your cats will be fine.

[ mod cut ]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-07-2010 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Not appropriate for this forum.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I actually moved back to north central PA and I don't regret it so far.

In terms of the climate and topography, depends on what part of Colorado you want to live in. Most of the state by volume is high altitude prairie or desert. The main adjustment I find is the altitude with the intense sun and dry air. Works fine for me, but some don't like it.

There is plenty of hiking, biking and skiing but all depends on where you live as to how accessible some of that will be. If someone decamps in Denver things like hiking and skiing are a long drive away and wont be things you'll be doing after work.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM

529 posts, read 1,325,520 times
Quote:
Hi,

Before I moved to Vermont I was debating on Colorado and Washington since I like the outdoors, hiking, biking and winter season. I’m curious how the winter season and summer seasons compare to Pennsylvania. Any info, thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
One thing to be prepared for is all the people. Hiking at the close-in places and even those places relatively close like Mt. Bross can see up to 300 or 400 people or even more on a summer weekend. When I lived in Denver I used to go hiking west of Boulder a little. I had to park almost a mile down from the trailheads there were so many cars. That was 10 years ago. Colorado in general is not as green as PA. So, if you like crowds, and elbowing your way up the peak, Colorado is definitely the place to be. Also, the Front Range is pretty much an oligopoly from CO Springs to Fort Collins (Over a hundred miles of continuous development and sprawl.)

It is true that the sun is out over 300 days per year and the cold in Denver is not bad because of the low humidity. Be prepared for a tight job market. A couple of my friends up there have out of work for over a year now but that's anywhere.
Don't know a lot about WA state except that NM (where I live) has a lot of transplants from there.

Good Luck on your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado