U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM

53,977 posts, read 70,781,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
The US is very weird. This would probably not happen in Canada. You're allowed free speech, and to even own guns. Laws banning guns are deemed unconstitutional.

Yet, it's perfectly fine for the state to decide how to allocate a man's hard-earned money. This is ridiculous.

Question for the OP:

Why don't you take the kids? You can argue that it's not safe for the kids to be around a ****ing coke addict. If you have the kids, then you'll pay way less money.

Another tip, you should move to Canada. Canadians value US work experience and you'll probably make the same amount of money, and even if you don't your quality of life wouldn't suffer because we have social health care and stuff.

Also, people should see the irony in the law. I think the law's intention is to protect women, yet what it's doing is basically lowering men's willingness to marry. I'll definitely not marry after hearing horror stories like this. If a woman asks me why I won't marry her, I'll just say I can't guarantee that you won't end up stealing half of my salary after the divorce!
good move. just in case you have not heard enough horror stories.
i scrubbed toilets for 3 1/2 years plus a high stress hostile day job to pay for my divorce, btw i did nothing wrong, except one day tell her, choose, me or visa. (big big spender) next thing i know a paralegal is sticking a summons up my nose in the driveway. just think what would have happened to me in CO!!
here is what i really dont like about the divorce scene, instead of ending up with a well informed public that avoids trouble and makes good decisions, we end up with an army of cunning bitter angry wounded people who do not promote love marriage and family.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-08-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,084,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
good move. just in case you have not heard enough horror stories.
i scrubbed toilets for 3 1/2 years plus a high stress hostile day job to pay for my divorce, btw i did nothing wrong, except one day tell her, choose, me or visa. (big big spender) next thing i know a paralegal is sticking a summons up my nose in the driveway. just think what would have happened to me in CO!!
here is what i really dont like about the divorce scene, instead of ending up with a well informed public that avoids trouble and makes good decisions, we end up with an army of cunning bitter angry wounded people who do not promote love marriage and family.
That's exactly the problem. That's what they want to happen, to destroy the American Family. Families are strong; individuals are weak.

Men and women need to stand up, together, and fight back...not bicker like fools.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM

10,945 posts, read 17,807,133 times
That is just sick. And just think of this, her half and your monthly payments will likely be siphoned buy him to by drugs. And in the modern era unless you work under the table somehow you can't stop it because they will take it out of your pay ahead of time probably.

And some call people like me who have friends with benefit sex as being immoral. And some women wonder why guys are scared of marriage and call them selfish. Her~ "oh no I am not like that".

I am the type that would find a way to make my life comfortable yet beat her, win over her. In your case I might move to some country and start over where she wouldn't get a frickin dime. Go to some south American country, get some chica to live with, live day to day. Get employment, maybe not great money but live free.

If faced with the law against me like this, and the prospect of her digging into me like that, I'd say F'em all and go away.......

Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM

18,856 posts, read 19,760,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
That's exactly the problem. That's what they want to happen, to destroy the American Family. Families are strong; individuals are weak.

Men and women need to stand up, together, and fight back...not bicker like fools.
I think you guys are on to something here. Marriage classes need to be taught in highscool with emphasis on the states divorce laws, field trips to attorney offices and court proceedings. Those applying for a marriage license should be required to pass a test on divorce law including child support, visitation and alimony.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,084,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think you guys are on to something here. Marriage classes need to be taught in highscool with emphasis on the states divorce laws, field trips to attorney offices and court proceedings. Those applying for a marriage license should be required to pass a test on divorce law including child support, visitation and alimony.
Well kind of...but that is complicated. That invites more GVT into our homes, and we want them out.

It's simple:
Two people want to get divorced because they fell out of love. Fine. Fill out a form online. If you guys both privately agree to the terms, sign it, send it and done.

If you don't agree...then obviously don't sign. Mediate through a church. Mediate through family members. Sue each other in Civil Court....I don't care. Just don't tie up the Family Court with this.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:37 PM

90 posts, read 258,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Question for the OP:

Why don't you take the kids? You can argue that it's not safe for the kids to be around a ****ing coke addict. If you have the kids, then you'll pay way less money.

The kids are grown and out of the house and are not an issue. They think she is totally whacked at this point. There are no child support considerations at all. Thank God for that, because I would be paying nearly $3500 a month if I had child support piled on top of the alimony.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM

10,945 posts, read 17,807,133 times
I swear if faced with that kind of BS, I wouldn't be right with myself until I found a way to beat her and the system. I'd rather live humble in some foreign land where they couldn't get to me and where she would never see a dime of my payckeck.

Thailand or some place like that would be sounding pretty good to me right now if faced with that.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM

547 posts, read 1,343,450 times
It's quite sad. I was looking at the data and...

Over half of the US states have "no fault" alimony rules. Personally, I think this is done only to help the women.

Men on average make more than women. So, the men would always pay regardless of whether they cheated or not. But, without "no fault" the women wouldn't get anything if they cheated. Therefore, the beneficiaries are mostly women.

http://www.abanet.org/family/familyl...09_alimony.pdf

And here are two reasons according to Wikipedia, why the OP has to pay so much...

Quote:
"In U.S. states that recognize a right of the spouses to live 'according to the means to which they have become accustomed', alimony attempts to adjust the incomes of the spouses so that they are able to approximate, as best possible, their prior lifestyle."
Quote:
"A spouse who is going to realize significant income in the future is likely to have to pay higher alimony than one who is not."
This is so ridiculous. That means that women get free retirements afte marrying someone rich. How disgusting.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,565,625 times
If you are a man with a decent job or the potential to get a future decent job...never get married. Ever. My father died penniless because the women in his life sat on their asses and took every dime he had. I will never let that happen to me.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM

18,856 posts, read 19,760,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Well kind of...but that is complicated. That invites more GVT into our homes, and we want them out.

It's simple:
Two people want to get divorced because they fell out of love. Fine. Fill out a form online. If you guys both privately agree to the terms, sign it, send it and done.

If you don't agree...then obviously don't sign. Mediate through a church. Mediate through family members. Sue each other in Civil Court....I don't care. Just don't tie up the Family Court with this.
But most are lost when it come time to split. Exactly why they get sucked in by attorneys. If they are already armed with knowledge before they marry they are much better off. An additional class or test isnt much govt interference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado