Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 10:28 AM

9 posts, read 39,449 times

Advertisements

I'm from Indiana moving to Denver for college, I just got my Learner Permit yesterday in Indiana, and by the way I will be turning 18 in two weeks. So yeah when I move to Colorado, how long will I have to hold?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 39,449 times
I read this page twice and didn't find info on what I asked for.

Can you please point out where exactly is it?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 PM

53 posts, read 201,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaqeeli View Post

Thanks

If you can't figure it out, 5 years.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:

Thanks
I understand your confusion because it says for 16-21 you need a minor instruction permit. But then all the details apply when you are under 18. Such as holding the permit for a year and logging hours.

I'm not completely sure what the benefit of just a learners permit is at 18 in Colorado if you don't have to adhere to those requirements or have someone in the car with you. Maybe it's just being able to put off the actually behind the wheel test?

I would call the DMV if I were you to fully understand. It's possible you will need to get a learner's permit issued here in Colorado as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:

Thanks
First normally as a student, you would continue to use your home state license.

However I think I understand what you are trying to do. First you should get a much driving practice as you can on your Indiana permit, and read the Colorado Drivers manual.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

So you understand the Colorado laws. Hopefully you will be ready to take the Colorado written and drive test when you arrive in Colorado.

When you arrive in Colorado, go to the DMV. Give them your Indiana permit and tell them you want to apply for a Colorado Drivers License. Most likely they will have you take the written test. If you pass that, they will issue you a Colorado Learners Permit, and they will set up an appointment for you to take the drive test. You go back on that date and take the drive test. If you pass that, you'll have your Colorado Drivers License.

I see no rule that says you have to use the Colorado Learners Permit for any certain period of time. So hopefully if you are ready, it will go pretty fast.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
First normally as a student, you would continue to use your home state license.

However I think I understand what you are trying to do. First you should get a much driving practice as you can on your Indiana permit, and read the Colorado Drivers manual.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

So you understand the Colorado laws. Hopefully you will be ready to take the Colorado written and drive test when you arrive in Colorado.

When you arrive in Colorado, go to the DMV. Give them your Indiana permit and tell them you want to apply for a Colorado Drivers License. Most likely they will have you take the written test. If you pass that, they will issue you a Colorado Learners Permit, and they will set up an appointment for you to take the drive test. You go back on that date and take the drive test. If you pass that, you'll have your Colorado Drivers License.

I see no rule that says you have to use the Colorado Learners Permit for any certain period of time. So hopefully if you are ready, it will go pretty fast.
From what I know, the "how-to" advice in this post is OK, but it ignores the "should I" questions that OP should be asking. I recognize the eagerness of the OP to get a driver's license, however, the course outlined above requires him or her to establish Colorado residency. That may or may not be a good idea, depending on other circumstances. For example, if he or she is getting financial aid for school that requires her to be a dependent of her parents in his or her home state, establishing residency in another state could jeopardize such aid. I'll give you an example from way back in my younger days. A guy I knew from out-of-state got a scholarship to attend a Colorado university to study in a field that no college in his home state offered. He lost his driver's license in his home state one summer when he got several tickets while home on summer break. He thought he would be smart, so when he went back to college in the fall, he changed his residency to Colorado, registered to vote in Colorado, and went and got a Colorado driver's license. What he didn't do was read the fine print of his scholarship that said if he or his parents moved legal residence from his home state, his scholarship (funded by that home state) would be canceled--which is exactly what happened.

The OP should carefully consider ALL of the ramifications concerning in what state he or she declares permanent residency, then worry about the driver licensing issue.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Jazzlover has a really good point. If I were you, I would get your drivers license in Indiana. Colorado does not require out of state students who are only in the state for the purpose of attending school to have CO drivers licenses. You always want to leave that door open to come back to Indiana and get in-state tuition rates at a public university there-- just as a backup, a "plan B." I went to college in Arizona and I had a friend from New Mexico that tried to become an AZ resident in an attempt to get reclassified for in-state tuition, but was denied anyway-- but then was no longer considered a New Mexico resident when he wanted to go back.

Is the issue that when you are ready to take your drivers test, you'll already be in school by then? Do you need to drive a car your first semester? If not, is it possible to wait until you come back to Indiana for Thanksgiving or winter break and do it then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: