U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 PM

122 posts, read 191,347 times

Advertisements

WHEN WILL IT STOP? I AM SO FLIPPIN TIRED OF BEING SCREWED.
DON'T YOU FEEL THE SAME ?
IF YOU'RE AS TIRED AS I AM OF XCEL ENERGY TREATING US AS THERE CASH COW ?
THEN PLEASE, LET IT BE KNOWN HERE. JUST LEAVE A SHORT COMMENT, MAYBE WITH ENOUGH IT WILL START TO GET SOME ATTENTION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,350,179 times
Had a great experience with Xcel recently. Turns out that thirty years ago, the builder of my house poured the concrete footers for my fence posts directly on top of a natural gas trunk line. An Xcel emergency response crew arrived less than an hour after I called for assistance and safely removed the concrete at no additional charge. The crew was friendly and professional, So, no, I'm not at all upset with Xcel, though clearly that's not the response you were hoping to receive.

As an aside, last year my bill for June/July was $60. This year, it was $54, even though the average daily temperature was six degrees higher. I hear all sorts of people complaining about getting screwed, but I just don't see it. Could it be that this is all terribly overblown?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-14-2010 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 AM

5,091 posts, read 12,961,313 times
My current bill is $47 for my house, gas and electric. That includes some extra power drain, that is not normal, for construction that I am doing. I just received quickly two rebates for energy saving installations that I did. The power outages have been much less than the past and are fixed quickly. It is a public utility; by nature it is what it is, and not so bad here in Denver.

So what is the problem? Instead of an empty, loud, mooing complaint, why do you not be specific about what is troubling you. What is wrong--can't pay your bill? Using too much energy? or are you having a bad energy day. Surely you do not expect us to rally behind your blank placard.

Livecontent

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 AM

7,744 posts, read 16,206,164 times
Even though it is hotter in the summer and much clolder in the winter, my energy bills for a 1950 sf home are significantly LOWER in Colorado, than they were for a 1300 sf home in Virginia. Certainly I wish the bills were even lower, but I have no serious complaints with Xcel.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM

20,015 posts, read 37,057,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Even though it is hotter in the summer and much clolder in the winter, my energy bills for a 1950 sf home are significantly LOWER in Colorado, than they were for a 1300 sf home in Virginia. Certainly I wish the bills were even lower, but I have no serious complaints with Xcel.
Same here in COLO SPGS, I've TWICE the house, but our utility bills from city-owned COLO SPGS Utilities (CSU) are the same or LESS than with Dominion Resources back in Fairfax, VA. CSU rocks! Our every experience with CSU and their people has been super good.

PS: This website is NOT for consumer complaints, it's in the TOS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM

122 posts, read 191,347 times
So I guess that give them the right to raise rates whenever they feel?
My average utility for a hosehold of 6, and a 2400sq ft house is 200.00 a month. Winter it goes up to about 250-275.00. And that now that we might use more than they say we should, we are going be punished by higher rates.
It's the same in the winter, watch and see. Gas will go up again and again. And we are left with no other choice but to take it. If any of you kow of another option , let me know. Atleast for phone service, I can pick who is scre_ _ _ _ me. Sorry if you all don't feel it, but seems everytime I turn around some sorts of rates are being raised. Except for us folk in the construction industry, I have seen my labor prices drop ay aleast half of what they were 2 yrs ago. I guess I just got a giant chip on my shoulder. MY BAD

PS: A note to LIVECONTENT, I am glad to hear all of us haven't been affected by the economics status of this country!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-16-2010 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Read the TOS.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 PM

5,091 posts, read 12,961,313 times
Now, we at least know your complaint. I would say with the large size of your house and the size of your household, your rates are normal and not out of range. Comparatively, over the many decades that I have seen, your rates are not much more per dollar value than times past. It is interesting to note that when I was a kid people had more children and raised them in smaller homes. Now, people have less children and have huge homes, with cathedral ceilings. People forget that you do not heat and cool square footage; you heat and cool cubic footage. How much cubic feet, do have to maintain?

Unfortunately it is difficult to provide a competitive environment in electric and gas delivery, in many situations. That is why we have a regulated public utility which cannot raise rates when they want to do it. They have to apply to the State for a review and it is not always approved.

I know some of you are going to mention phone service. The monopoly of the AT&T company was broken up and formed independent regional regulated public utility that delivered phone service. However, phone service was not really competitive until technology and some forced regulations allowed competitive service.

It does not mean, you loss control. You can built so you are off the energy grid. You can use other ways to heat and provide electric current. You can install solar, wind or other technologies to minimize your dependent. You can install energy saving appliances, insulation, windows etc. Also, we are now benefit from federal monies that are added to the local utility to give rebates to encourage these energy savings.

Let us not forget that in some situations wood, coal, and other petroleum products can be used besides natural gas which the local utility provides.

What have you done to gain some independence and reduce your costs? Have you taken advantage of all the new current rebates from federal monies that are administered by the state? Have you installed any energy savings that will give you a rebate from the utility? You can also take advantage of federal tax savings with energy saving installations.

Obviously, my bill of $47 should give you a clue that I live in a small house with one resident. Yea, with just normal ceilings. I do not have air conditioning because I have tried to use other less costly means to keep cool. Yes, I am affected by the increase costs because I am a disabled senior on a fixed income and comparatively, I have more problems than you. I am considered poor by all standards. I have not worked for 15 years because of severe disabilities and my medical cost are very high.

Only way, I can do to free myself from cost of utilities, is to reduce my costs. I just received rebates for energy savings installations. In addition, my water heater is set on a warm setting. In the winter, I lower the heat and wear a sweater. Yes, I have all the energy saving light bulbs--do you??

I take the sailor shower, lather up and then turn on the water to save money on water heating--do you do that? I wish I could do more like hang clothes to dry, but I have a problem raising my arms and standing. I am now looking into installing a new energy efficient furnace with my hard earned savings.

I do not go to restaurants; I have not been to a movie in about 9 years. I do not go to overpriced sports or entertainment events. I rent no movies. I have no cable. I take no vacations. My car is 16 years old. All that frugality, I will use to buy a new furnace. Are you as frugal as I?

What is your lifestyle? What appliance do you use? Have you tried anything to reduce your cost. Tell me, what do you think you should pay for energy delivery to your home. Do you think it should be free. It can be, if we provide it all with government control and increased taxes. Do you want the federal government to run the utility?

You say you work in the construction industry. Well, you have many more skills than I. So, use some of the skills and make your home more energy efficient, or built a new home, totally off the grid. If I had the talent; I was younger and healthier, I would think about it.

You cannot have it all. Some places you have to economize and many places you just have to pay that cost. If you want it all--then earn more money and then you will not have a problem.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-15-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,350,179 times
I can understand your frustration, but your choices are limited. The rates went up for tier-two usage, and you either have to pay it or learn to live with less energy. I went the second route. You've got a houseful of children, so it's not necessarily going to be easy. I suggest sitting down as a family, spelling things out for them, and asking them for their ideas about reducing their consumption. My kids have been a tremendous asset in our quest to cut our bills. They're better at remembering to turn off the lights than I am!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:51 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,197,070 times
Big family, big house means a big utility bill. How many TV's, computers, phones, chargers, loads of laundry, and on and on. I moved here from Va. and my bill dropped to $25 a month. I don't conserve, but I don't waste. Perhaps with conservation you can pull it down to $150.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:12 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,696,419 times
Here's a bit of interesting trivia:

Xcel charges their customers in Colorado more per therm of natural gas than their customers in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado