U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM

299 posts, read 474,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not only do we control our own water but we control a large part of the front range water supply and eastern plains.

As far as jobs that is and has been a issue here especially since the late 70's but is slowly changing with the university and developments like Pueblo Springs and the Colorado Energy park and the new industrial park south of town as well as the airport industrial park.
Until those jobs get here, Pueblo will be in a world of hurt. And unfortunately, there is no end in sight despite the growth of CSU-Pueblo and the "talk" of all of these new developments.

As for the rest of the front range, how many of the people who moved to Colorado does everyone think are refugees from California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 17 days ago)

9,820 posts, read 10,390,610 times
This map from Forbes tells you where the people are moving from. I have it set to Pueblo but you can look at any county.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM

877 posts, read 764,092 times
As someone who lives in Douglas County, formerly from Oklahoma, I honestly don't think the population growth is as terrible as ya'll are making it out to be. Face the facts here, in Colorado we have beautiful mountains that can be fully viewed from Pueblo all the way up to the Wyoming border. People are going to want to live here where we have these views. You can't really do anything about that. What do you want me to say - "I'm sorry that my mother missed the Colorado mountains (she lived here before I was born) and relocated us here in 2006."? We have an attractive state, and honestly I'm proud that we're a magnet for people who want to relocate.

Now, I have to agree about the problem of sprawl. Here in Castle Rock, it takes me 15 minutes to drive to Walmart. One of my best friends lives 20 minutes away, the other lives 40. The roads here curve all over and about and there is no direct route to anywhere. I know that with all the hills, it's not exactly possible to put a grid system like in Denver proper, but honestly, you would think that planners would be more intelligent about conservation of fuel and time.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 17 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
As someone who lives in Douglas County, formerly from Oklahoma, I honestly don't think the population growth is as terrible as ya'll are making it out to be. Face the facts here, in Colorado we have beautiful mountains that can be fully viewed from Pueblo all the way up to the Wyoming border. People are going to want to live here where we have these views. You can't really do anything about that. What do you want me to say - "I'm sorry that my mother missed the Colorado mountains (she lived here before I was born) and relocated us here in 2006."? We have an attractive state, and honestly I'm proud that we're a magnet for people who want to relocate.

Now, I have to agree about the problem of sprawl. Here in Castle Rock, it takes me 15 minutes to drive to Walmart. One of my best friends lives 20 minutes away, the other lives 40. The roads here curve all over and about and there is no direct route to anywhere. I know that with all the hills, it's not exactly possible to put a grid system like in Denver proper, but honestly, you would think that planners would be more intelligent about conservation of fuel and time.
That is my problem, not with the growth but how most cities grow. Sure there will be some sprawl but anymore most cities do not try to keep it at a minimum and I think that is sad. As Pueblo grows I hope we learn how not to grow from cities like Colorado Springs. We will see.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
It's spelled Arapahoe. I can't attest to why nearly as many people left Arapahoe county as moved into it, but it might be taxes. Sales tax is high. It's not a bad city: it's not hard on the eyes, the traffic is no worse than any other part of Metro Denver, so the mass exodus is hard to understand. As for so many moving INTO the metro area in general, I think it's because the economic hardship hitting other parts of the country haven't hit Colorado too hard - YET. I'm temporarily staying in a long-term motel in Aurora, within Arapahoe county, until I buy a home for my retirement. This place is PACKED constantly. I'm sure many of them are visitors on vacation, but I have an impression many are here looking for work. Feels like the book/movie "The Grapes of Wrath" around here!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:12 PM

619 posts, read 1,095,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris5747 View Post
It's spelled Arapahoe. I can't attest to why nearly as many people left Arapahoe county as moved into it, but it might be taxes. Sales tax is high. It's not a bad city: it's not hard on the eyes, the traffic is no worse than any other part of Metro Denver, so the mass exodus is hard to understand. As for so many moving INTO the metro area in general, I think it's because the economic hardship hitting other parts of the country haven't hit Colorado too hard - YET. I'm temporarily staying in a long-term motel in Aurora, within Arapahoe county, until I buy a home for my retirement. This place is PACKED constantly. I'm sure many of them are visitors on vacation, but I have an impression many are here looking for work. Feels like the book/movie "The Grapes of Wrath" around here!
The OP had the numbers wrong and one of the next posters corrected them. There was something lost in adding the incorporated and unincorporated areas versus looking at only the populations. Arapahoe County grew quite a bit during this time period.

Sales Tax in Arapahoe County varies from city to city like anywhere else in the metro area. In fact Arapahoe County cities such as Littleton and Centennial have among the lowest sales tax rates in the metro area, lower than Denver city.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:16 PM

7,817 posts, read 14,663,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post

Believe what you wish, but when the true unsustainability of Douglas County becomes apparent in years hence, it will be neither an attractive nor practical place for much of its population any longer, nice views notwithstanding. Of course, those slimy developers won't care--they made their bucks and will be long gone. The festering environmental, water, and transportation problems will be left for the feckless people to who didn't get out soon enough to try to deal with. Poor them. I will say this, Douglas County, before development and sprawl screwed it up beyond hope, was one of Colorado's prettiest places--and I'm old enough to remember that. No more.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Believe what you wish, but when the true unsustainability of Douglas County becomes apparent in years hence, it will be neither an attractive nor practical place for much of its population any longer, nice views notwithstanding. Of course, those slimy developers won't care--they made their bucks and will be long gone. The festering environmental, water, and transportation problems will be left for the feckless people to who didn't get out soon enough to try to deal with. Poor them. I will say this, Douglas County, before development and sprawl screwed it up beyond hope, was one of Colorado's prettiest places--and I'm old enough to remember that. No more.
You are against growth more then anyone I know and have lived in Colorado a long time yet even you have not been able to stop the growth. Thus, that tells me that its impossible to stop growth so then the best policy is to manage the growth that will come the best way possible. So what we should do is more the conversation forward to discuss the best way Colorado can manage future growth so we can continue to be one of the best states to live in.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:33 PM

12,956 posts, read 11,322,794 times
Daniels Park was one of those pretty places in Douglas County. It really saddened me when I came through there one day and saw rows and rows of houses.

And then there is the highway you turn off from to get there, U.S. hwy 85 near Sedalia. I've seen more ugly wrecks on that stretch than I care to count going back when I left that area in 1993, especially the area surrounding the Matchbox Bar, near Louviers. That highway was meant as a two lane road, and the amount of traffic that pounds that part of the metro area is completely nutsy. I lived in Arapahoe County for nearly four decades, I know.

I'm not bonkers on development, am absolutely against development where you have cities double in size year after year. But at least have a plan for your infrastructure before you build. All I was, and am is a dumb lunch box carrying blue collar worker, and even I know that.

Every time I am on C-470 between Wadsworth and Santa Fe I always see this green sign that says "Governor Romer's Smart Growth Award", for Douglas County. Hmm. I'd hate to see what stupid growth is.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 07-22-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM

^

That is why I am a advocate of planned comminutes. That way a city can plan out how the new development will be with the needed infrastructure before a single house or business is built. Pueblo is doing that with Pueblo Springs and it will be the largest planned community in the country with the states largest tech park. Since we are doing that now before it gets developed we know where the major streets will be, mass transit and how it will connect the new tech park to the current downtown, university and airport. This will hopefully create a nice new living area that people want to live in with limited sprawl, there will always be some. Then we have Thunder Village that is a planned "new urban" development around CSU Pueblo, the states fastest growing university. When complete it will help make a great atmosphere for college students to live work and play while they attend CSU Pueblo.

I am excited for this recession to fully end so I can see if what the city has worked on for the past 2 years will actually pan out with these great developments that will hopefully be the standard for other cities to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado