U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM

20,124 posts, read 37,349,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
...Another way you tell the rural folks from city-slickers is when either gets stopped in rural Colorado by a flagman for road construction. The city folks usually sit in their cars, windows rolled up, and fume about the delay. The rural folks will frequently strike up a conversation with the flagman while waiting. If the delay is long enough, some of the folks (usually the rural ones) will get out of their cars and have a little informal roadside chat with one another while waiting....
We always wave hello to the flagmen and women as we go by. Those folks are there to keep me safe and their job must suck; standing in the heat or cold for hours with a mind-numbing line of cars cruising by.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM

331 posts, read 860,199 times
I grew up driving in Texas. Around Houston, traffic was pretty packed and bumper-to-bumper, but we still managed to go 70mph (the speed limit at the time). So I agree, Texans tend to tailgate. I used to do the same until I moved to the northeast, where people seem to drive pretty curteously. I haven't been here in CO much more than a month, but the drivers here are awful. I'm moving recently from Vermont, where people drive pretty slowly, but the front range so far is just ridiculous.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
I grew up driving in Texas. Around Houston, traffic was pretty packed and bumper-to-bumper, but we still managed to go 70mph (the speed limit at the time). So I agree, Texans tend to tailgate. I used to do the same until I moved to the northeast, where people seem to drive pretty curteously. I haven't been here in CO much more than a month, but the drivers here are awful. I'm moving recently from Vermont, where people drive pretty slowly, but the front range so far is just ridiculous.
Same/same in the DC area. At 5:30AM on weekdays I was on I-66 in NASCAR style close quarter driving, four lanes wide, 70MPH, hellbent for DC. We called it combat driving; take no prisoners, give no slack, leave no room for people to cut in. Don't miss it a bit. We were in COLO SPGS for THREE months before we heard the first horn blow. IMO, drivers here aren't that bad, but when it gets crowded, people revert to survival-instinct driving.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM

1,025 posts, read 2,605,660 times
I agree that drivers along the Front Range can get pretty crazy. There's alot of territory to cover, lots of people competing for little space on the road, and hence, lots of aggressive driving. I see lots of speeding, tailgating and cutting off around here.

I think that as others pointed have out, this area's population grew too quickly and the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the growth. The highways are often crowded and congested, and with the increased population comes a more pressure, less considerate driving, and crazier drivers. This is the case in almost every large city and in major population centers like thee Front Range urban corridor. When you leave the populated areas of Colorado and visit (insert name of small Colorado town here), most people drive slower and less aggressively.

Personally, I'm a bit of a lead foot myself so the more fast paced driving style around here doesn't bother me at all. It's the drivers who drive below the flow of traffic in the fast lane that drive me nuts! What are they thinking??!!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We always wave hello to the flagmen and women as we go by. Those folks are there to keep me safe and their job must suck; standing in the heat or cold for hours with a mind-numbing line of cars cruising by.
Speaking of flagmen/women, one was hit by a drunk driver today in COLO SGPS.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,081,072 times
I've noticed that drivers are awful in every city, not just Denver.

In Boston drivers seem so angry. It's like everyone on the road is in a huge rush and they all have major road rage. People practically try to run each other off the road.

In CA people drive as fast as possible at all times. Cops will pass you going 90 on the freeway. One time I was on the freeway and a stack of plastic patio chairs fell out of the back of a truck and not one person even slowed down. Those patio chairs were shredded to bits by all of the cars barrelling through them at 70-80 mph. It was really scary for me but the drivers around me seemed completely unfazed.

In South Texas I noticed people like to drive extra slow in the fast lane, like 40 mph kind of slow.

In Denver I notice a lot of people running red lights.

It's bad everywhere. I avoid the highways at all costs and always double check before proceeding through a green light since I know at least 5 people will run the light before it's actually my turn to go.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM

299 posts, read 780,635 times
Quote:
Aside from metro driver stupidity and road rage, of which there is plenty, I ascribe it to two main factors:

1. It is way too easy to get and keep a driver's license in Colorado. You have to be real idiot or a habitual drunk to lose your license in this state--and even then, you probably won't be without it for long. Driver's license testing is too lax, and driver's education for young drivers is inadequate.

2. Lack of enforcement. I give law enforcement credit--they are trying, but law enforcement, especially the State Patrol, is badly undermanned. The population of Colorado has more than doubled in the last 30 years, but the number of State Troopers has barely grown at all.
These are 2 excellent points. If the state would beef up its state patrol force, people might think twice about driving like maniacs on the interstate.

Younger drivers are having to jump through more hoops to get there license these days. My sister got hers about a year and a half ago, and in addition to having X amount of hours of driving with an adult in the car, she also had to have X amount of classroom hours and hold her learner's permit for 12 months. 5 years earlier, I only had to hold my permit for 6 months, turn in my hours and pass the written test.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:
Aside from metro driver stupidity and road rage, of which there is plenty, I ascribe it to two main factors:

1. It is way too easy to get and keep a driver's license in Colorado. You have to be real idiot or a habitual drunk to lose your license in this state--and even then, you probably won't be without it for long. Driver's license testing is too lax, and driver's education for young drivers is inadequate.

2. Lack of enforcement. I give law enforcement credit--they are trying, but law enforcement, especially the State Patrol, is badly undermanned. The population of Colorado has more than doubled in the last 30 years, but the number of State Troopers has barely grown at all.

As a native Coloradan, I freely admit that the lack of driving courtesy in this state--especially in the metro areas--is a disgrace. When I lived in Wyoming and I would see some driver doing some "stupid human trick" on the highways there, it was almost always a "greenie" (as Wyomingites call Coloradans because of the license plates). I loathe driving on the Front Range with the fools and idiots there, to the point that I now avoid going there if I possibly can. In decades of living in rural Colorado back when license plates were county-coded, if I saw some idiot driver in the rural areas of the state, about three-quarters of the time it would be a car with metro Denver or Colorado Springs plates. Even my buddies on the State Patrol would comment about that.
Thanks for an explanation. I have yet to get a Colorado drivers license, so I don't know how easy the process is. I have, however, witnessed the lack of State Patrol on the freeway. Even when State Patrol is on the freeway they're either sitting in plain enough view to give speeders ample time to slow down or they just let people pass them going 85-90 MPH without jumping out after them. I have gone up to Cheyenne several times since moving here. I have seen the Wyoming Highway Patrol ticketing drivers on the short stretch of the freeway from the Colorado line to Cheyenne every time I have gone.

I have no idea why the freeway between Longmont and Fort Collins isn't 3 lanes in each direction. It is always uncomfortably clogged. When you get to the wider portion in Longmont it feels a lot safer and traffic flows smoother. Also, I have no idea why the speed limit on Denver area freeways is mainly 55 when the roads are wide and straight. There is even a stretch of I-25 in Pueblo with a speed limit of 50. That kind of toomfoolery also causes some aggression from motorists.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
OP (new2colo) also complains about how Colorado law enforcement enforces traffic laws, in this post, in this thread:
Yes. There is a difference between people going 47 in a 45 and people going 61 in a 45.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM

1,025 posts, read 2,605,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I have no idea why the freeway between Longmont and Fort Collins isn't 3 lanes in each direction. It is always uncomfortably clogged. When you get to the wider portion in Longmont it feels a lot safer and traffic flows smoother.
I-25 between Denver and Fort Collins has to be the most aggrivating stretch of interstate in Colorado IMO. There simply isn't enough lane capacity to carry the traffic, which leads to congestion and lack of smooth traffic flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado