U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 01:22 PM

148 posts, read 200,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Here's the grand experiment: take away all public subsidies of all forms of transportation in this country. Then see what survives.............. (Which, by the way, was predicted in another very good read--Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.)
Agreed, take away all subsidies. However, disagree that collapse will be the result. Having read all of Rand's books, I am afraid, Professor Curmudgeon, that the very human ingenuity celebrated in Rand's objectivist philosophy, will result in people finding a way to have their cake and eat it too (suburbia will go on).

Shuffler nailed this one. When driving, drive. No phones, no shave, no books. Grow up and drive.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM

2,755 posts, read 12,141,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
They're working on that. Didn't they only recently open the portion between 470 and Longmont within the past couple years? I'm sure they'll get it done all the way to Cheyenne when money permits.
This is called the I-25 "North Forty" project. They have gone all the way up to SH-66 from SH-7 in recent years, with a goal to go up to SH-14 / Mulberry Rd in Fort Collins. (I seriously doubt they'll expand beyond SH-14 since the traffic pretty much drops off completely after that.)

However, I don't think CDOT has secured any funding up till now to continue with the project, so I would expect it to be on hold until tax revenues recover.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM

42 posts, read 234,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, don't blame the Californians who came in the 90s. We came here in 1980 and I, in particular, thought Colorado had the worst drivers I had ever had to contend with, and I had driven in Chicago. No, no, no, it's not the Californians!
I agree don't blame the Californians, there might be a lot more traffic in LA but at least they know how to drive in it. I spent some time in LA, and noticed the drivers out there were a lot more courteous. Colorado drivers suck, relax I'm a Colorado native.

Last edited by bco24; 07-26-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,269,605 times
I love most things Boulder, but the drivers here really exemplify the term auto-pilot. I am truly amazed that this isn't the accident capital of Colorado." Horrible, horrible drivers!" Highlands Ranch area is top bannana in the jack ass driver department. imo HR is rude to the point of the extreme; if I lived there I would have to take the golf clubs out of the trunk before I got behind the wheel.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,366,669 times
Wink Miami

This thread got my attention as I was recently reading about the traffic in Miami, FL. They seem to take it to a whole new level:
A (non) Idiots Guide To Driving In Miami

As far as Colorado is concerned, drivers here do not seem overtly worse than many other areas I've seen. They do tend to drive fast in metro areas, although having nothing on a place such as Los Angeles, CA. Not coincidentally, most are surely more stressed in urban traffic.

What I would say, with Colorado hardly alone in this, that there are a lot of bad drivers out there. My definition of a 'bad driver' is someone who is not entirely focused on driving their vehicle, and courteous. Meaning it is as bad an idea to drive appreciably slower than the limit in the mountains, with a conga line of angry drivers behind, and not let them past occasionally, as it is to weave through traffic at high speed on I-25. Take your pick of those two or a good many other examples. Another would be yacking on your cell phone and otherwise doing everything but paying attention to the road.

While I'm on the subject, people should realize that sometimes there actually is a good reason for a slower speed limit, like it may denote someone's neighborhood. That would include the many hoons, particularly on motorcycles, who have the mistaken impression that their machismo is in direct proportion to how much noise they can make. Colorado actually does have a law on the books about how much noise a vehicle can make, although the police routinely ignore it. Entirely beyond me why everyone else would put up with such bad behavior for even a day without threatening their representatives.

But I digress. Check out Miami if you want to see some examples of truly creative driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado