Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 PM

287 posts, read 766,424 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating. My husband would work for the university and could possibly need to work out of both Boulder and Denver at times.

What communities would you recommend for a large conservative middle income family (college age to pre-school)?
Here are our needs:

Housing: 4-5 bedroom home under $400,000. Would like at least 3000 sq ft.,
Safe family friendly neighborhood reasonably close to schools.

Schools: Kids are all high achievers. All have had 3.9-4.0 GPA All have participated in soccer and/or cross country and track, and band. Three kids currently on advanced track math. High school recommendations?

Church: We're LDS

I NEED mountain views! LOL We grew up in Utah, but we've lived in MN for the past 8 yrs. I've been mountain deprived!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 05:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,353,212 times
I would suggest Arvada. This is a city that is close to Boulder and Denver. It has many homes in your price ranges, great neighborhoods. I would look at the Western Part of Arvada.

An good specific area would be on West 72nd, west past Ward Road. This area has a large LDS church and right across the street is arguably the largest and newest recreation center in the state, under North Jeffco Recreation District, it is the Apex Center North Jeffco Park & Recreation - Home of The Apex Center (http://www.northjeffco.org/facilities/apex/ - broken link)

There is at a greenbelt area that extends and meaders through many homes that would be a good fit. In addition, the area is served by Jefferson County Schools, some of the best in the area. A new high school is being built completely replacing the older Arvada West High School. There are also other LDS Churches in Arvada and I find them to be very friendly and helpful--contacting the local Stake should get you much help.

Western Arvada is in Ralston Valley and is a hidden area that many newcomers do not know about. Good family area, good access to shopping and many open space areas and parks. I have lived in the area, and my aged parents live there now.

So you know, I am an confirmed atheist but I am very impressed with the social support of the Mormon Church and have been to many facilities including the cannery, where I did work for a day. I see no reason that atheists can not respect and live in side by side with god believers and I see nothing wrong in referring people to churches that I know.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Not to diss Arvada, but I would add Louisville to your list of possibilites. You will have mnt views virtually anywhere in the metro area, so don't worry about that.

Louisville has good schools, highly rated (as has been discussed many times is somewhat meaningless, but anyway), offer lots of advanced classes, middle schools and high school offer multiple sports plus lots of sports clubs around; there is an LDS stake center right near my house; anywhere in Lsvl would be reasonably close to elementary and middle schools, the high school is 4 1/2 mi. from my house and our neighborhood is farther away than any other in town.

Louisville is closer to Boulder (by far) than to Denver, but Denver is about 35-45 min away depending on where you're going in Denver.

Another good option would be Broomfield. Also has large LDS church near the high school, slightly lower housing prices than Louisville, high school boys' soccer team won state championship last year. A little farther from Boulder than Lsvl, but closer to Denver. Geographically, probably the best option.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:40 PM

Katiana loves Louisville and I agree,

Louisville is an excellent choice and the commuting to Boulder and Denver is easy via Public Transportation. It has a beautiful old town and the plans are in place to place a commuter rail line just to the east of Main St.

Any of the Towns near there would be nice including Broomfield, Lafayette, Superior and areas of Westminster. Good Housing values and good transportation to Denver and Boulder.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-12-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,298 times
I am going to be moving to Colorado, here coming next summer, and I am curious what towns and areas of those towns are near the public trams? I was informed by some family members that if you possess an student ID they would give you some sort of a discount or free transportation. Would be much easier on me and my boyfriend, considering his university is in Boulder and mine is stationed in Denver - Thank you!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmweis View Post
I am going to be moving to Colorado, here coming next summer, and I am curious what towns and areas of those towns are near the public trams? I was informed by some family members that if you possess an student ID they would give you some sort of a discount or free transportation. Would be much easier on me and my boyfriend, considering his university is in Boulder and mine is stationed in Denver - Thank you!
The discounts depend on the university you will attending but I believe Boulder provides a pass or discount to the students. I assume you are European as word "tram" is not used. We do not have streetcars or trolleys in Denver but we do have buses and a light commuter rail system. The total 'public transit" system is currently being greatly expanded under the Regional Transportation District http://www.rtd-denver.com/

The transportation between Boulder and Denver is only by bus. The bus is excellent, frequent and runs day and night. The bus runs by the campus in Boulder into Downtown Denver and stops at Market Street Station. You can easily get connection from there to many other locations. If you are going to the Auraria Campus, Downtown--you can take a bus or walk. Other colleges are also conveniently located on bus/rail.

The Bus for Boulder/Denver is BV/BX and this is the schedule (with an American Hard C) : (just a little whimsy)

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules...=12&routeId=BV

You can easily live in Boulder, Denver or in between near one of the many stops for this bus.

Livecontent

Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
^^Yes, it is true that CU-Boulder students get an "Eco-Pass" to ride the buses for free. Of course, it's not really "free", as you pay for it with your student fees, but it's free at the point of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado