U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM

228 posts, read 482,519 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Silverton the latter part of August and beginning of September. What can I expect the weather to be like?? Is snow a possibility?

Also, is there any "must see" or "must do" while I'm there? I've heard alot about a train ride, but I'm more interested in off road trails with atvs and/or jeeps.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,096,825 times
Snow is indeed possible in late August or September, though it seldom sticks. Nighttime temperatures will be at or near freezing. It's the tail end of the Southwest Monsoon, so afternoon thunderstorms are often possible.

Yes, there is a lot of 4-wheeling around Silverton, but much of it is unsuitable for flatlander amateurs. Trails that are considered mild in the San Juans would be considered hair-raising in many other places. The really bad trails should scare the living crap of anybody with common sense. I've been 4-wheeling that area for nearly 40 years and there are trails that I refuse to tackle. I've ridden with some local friends up there who prospect and the trails they drive on are just plain terrifying. On the more difficult trails, the pansy-ass SUV's that now try to pass for 4WD's are pretty much assured of sustaining some significant mechanical damage. Full-size 4WD trucks are often too wide to successfully or safely negotiate many of the trails, as well. It's always a hoot to watch numbskull flatlanders beat the crap out of their brand new Suburban on trails totally unsuited for both the vehicle and the driver's skill (more correctly, the lack thereof). By the way, if one rents a 4WD from one of the major rental companies, there often is a clause in the rental contract that voids any insurance offered by the rental company if the vehicle leaves the pavement. I've heard of a few folks that got their a**es handed to them over that when they damaged a rental vehicle in the backcountry.

For the record, I generally use an older 4WD with full skid-plates, locking rear differential, winch, and other modifications when I 4-wheel in the San Juans--not to be "cool", but because I really don't like to "hoof it" back to town after "dinging up" or sticking some poorly equipped 4x4. For reference, I consider the trail shown here to be a pretty mild trail by San Juan standards, the grade is only about 30%, the dropoff is only around 800', the trail is pretty wide by San Juan standards, and the trail is fairly smooth because it is used to access a state radio repeater communications site--it actually has had a bulldozer work on it in the last 5 years . . . Oh, and the elevation where the vehicle is sitting is just about 13,000 feet above sea level.
Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Silverton.....-img_2909-web.jpg  

Last edited by jazzlover; 07-22-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,157,967 times
What he said.
I was taken on a not-really-trail outside Silverton by an experienced 4-wheeler and it was kinda terrifying, even though I felt sure the driver had no desire to be killed or crippled, still, it seemed dicey. And nothing like a lightening storm at the top!
Well worth it, but be careful careful.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 AM

17,057 posts, read 22,369,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
I'm going to be in Silverton the latter part of August and beginning of September. What can I expect the weather to be like?? Is snow a possibility?

Also, is there any "must see" or "must do" while I'm there? I've heard alot about a train ride, but I'm more interested in off road trails with atvs and/or jeeps.

Thanks!
Well, at least you're not going through there through the winter. Silverton! Where the snow stacks up seven feet high in the winter!

I wouldn't blow off the Durango-Silverton train trip. I've been on it several times. One word describes it. Awesome.

Jazzlover makes a good point regarding rentals on 4 wheel drive vehicles. The rental companies look these vehicles over closely when you turn them in. You put any "dings" in them and they will make you pay!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:43 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,829,698 times
There's a nice little drive from Red Mountain Pass into Telluride called black bear road. Just a walk in the park. RP

Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 AM

12,061 posts, read 13,964,572 times
What jazz said. However....the trip east of of Silverton to Animas Forks and up to Engineer Mountain is fairly easy, and the road is good. You could spend a day wandering around Animas Forks. Was there a few weeks ago. Bring a jacket and rain slicker. Here's some info:

4X4 Adventures -- Silverton to Animas Forks

Silverton, Colorado – The Heart of the High Country

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What jazz said. However....the trip east of of Silverton to Animas Forks and up to Engineer Mountain is fairly easy, and the road is good. You could spend a day wandering around Animas Forks. Was there a few weeks ago. Bring a jacket and rain slicker. Here's some info:

4X4 Adventures -- Silverton to Animas Forks

Silverton, Colorado – The Heart of the High Country
True, but the road from Engineer down to US550 has deteriorated significantly in the last few years. Truth is, a lot of the 4WD trails in the San Juans are deteriorating. More traffic is one reason--more vehicles, especially when the roads are muddy, deepens the ruts and exposes more rocks. Both Forest Service and county road budgets are very tight now, which means even minimal maintenance on the trails may no longer be done (note: "maintenance" on these roads often means using a D8 Cat bulldozer, as anything less won't do the job).

As to the comment above about Black Bear, I've driven it numerous times. It is by no means the worst trail I've been on, but it is not any safe, easy trail.

Not my photo, but this illustrates it pretty well.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:35 AM

12,061 posts, read 13,964,572 times
That's why I said Silverton to Animas Forks to Engineer Mountain. I took Engineer Pass from Ouray and it was fun but I would never recommend it to someone who isn't 4wd savy. Honestly, I would recommend to anyone visiting to go to one of the Jeep tour places in Ouray, sit back and let them drive.

BTW last night a guy drove off Engineer Pass. It's been raining hard here and the back roads are not in the best shape.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 AM

99 posts, read 157,151 times
We drove the trail from Ouray up to Yankee Boy Basin on July 1st of this year. That was to see the wildflowers and to get some 4 wheeling in. It was easy for a novice and fun. I dont think any flowers will be out at the time you are going to be in the area. But the views are fantastic. The internet has lots of information about Yankee Boy Basin. We stopped at the visitors center in Ouray and talked with someone who spends time out on the trails and he recommended Yankee Boy Basin. Well done by the visitors center.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
We drove the trail from Ouray up to Yankee Boy Basin on July 1st of this year. That was to see the wildflowers and to get some 4 wheeling in. It was easy for a novice and fun. I dont think any flowers will be out at the time you are going to be in the area. But the views are fantastic. The internet has lots of information about Yankee Boy Basin. We stopped at the visitors center in Ouray and talked with someone who spends time out on the trails and he recommended Yankee Boy Basin. Well done by the visitors center.
Well, some buddies of mine went up to Yankee Boy a couple of weekends ago. There was basically a traffic jam up there. Both are old-line western Colorado residents and they were disgusted. That is the problem: if the trail is easy, it's crowded. If the trail is bad--well, no crowds, but you have to be able to drive a hazardous trail.

I used to go to the western San Juans a lot (around Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, etc.). I go much less now, mainly because I'm sick of too many vehicles (many driven by fools) on the trails, too much noise from trail bikes, etc. I have other far less known places that I can go, and still have peace, quiet, and solitude. And, no, I'm not going to write about them on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado