U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,176 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to plan a early 2011 snowboarding vacation and I have a few Q's I'm hoping somebody is able to answer for me!

1) Is snowboarding extra if you are staying in a snowboarding lodge? Or does the rate per night include all activities?

2) About how much is it to rent gear per day? And are boots included in the gear or just the board and bindings?

3) Would it benefit me to shop around for cheapest everything, i.e - hotels, rentals, flights, dinners, activities ? or would any given package deal probably come out cheaper?

5) what are the best times to snowboard, which months? what months are cheaper and why? does it matter what month i pick?

4) does anyone know any good website for great deals?

5) any suggestions for a snowboarding vacation spot that would be just as much fun, maybe even less expensive would be welcome! i've heard copper, aspen.. ?

I know it sounds like I am a cheap skate, and I am lol .. I have to be! The gear alone is going to cost us a pretty penny! I'm not wealthy by any means and we're on a budget but of course it's a vacation and i want to have a good time!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM

884 posts, read 1,463,087 times
1. The rate per night is usually just the rate per night. Another thing - many lodges will make you pay for breakfast too. They charge you for everything they can up in the mountians, but if your lodge includes breakfast then that's great!

2. You have to rent boots as well as the board, and bindings come already attatched to the board. Boots usually go for around $20 per day I think, but I'm not sure how much the board will cost. Maybe $30?

3. Yeah, I would plan a flight ASAP to get the best deal. In the Breckenridge area, there is an actual town so dinners won't be a problem (there's one place that I forgot the name of.. But it uses MILF as a slogan, haha! Great burgers!) A packaged deal through the ski resort is probably the way to go - they include flight, hotel and lift tickets if I'm not mistaken.

4. The later in the season, the better. Early in the season (even around Christmas/New Years') the snowpack isn't very thick, and many trails are still closed. Even most of the open ones still have small, new-growth trees sticking out. However you can simply just run over them - they're that small. I would suggest late February or early March - the snowpack is really developed and it's early enough not to really be "spring skiing" (when temperatures in the afternoon can actually get pretty warm and uncomfortable if you bundle up heavily)

5. Any of the ski resort websites will outline deals for you - since you're considering Breckenridge, I would just google "Breckenridge Ski Resort" and their site should pop right up.

6. There are many! Winter Park, Keystone, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek are all in the same I-70 area (with the exception of Winter Park, which requires crossing Berthoud Pass just off of I-70 on US 40) However when it comes to an actual ski TOWN, I think Breckenridge takes the cake. There's also Steamboat Springs, but that is way up close to the border with Wyoming, however in ski season, flights are flown to their airport.

I hope I helped! I've got 4 years' experience living and skiing near Denver so I gave ya what I got!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 12,176 times
wow thank you so much for all the info! we have decided on Brek and thinking of renting a house because now there will be about 6 people coming with us. that may be the cheapest option being around $80-$100/night for each of us.

we are thinking of driving now so maybe you can answer a couple other questions for me?

will it be very hard to drive on hwy 70 in the Feb.-March time frame? Or do they pretty much have the roads cleared away for travelers? I've gone to Colorado every summer of my life since I can remember but have never been during that time of year.

also, since we are driving - would it be a better option to stay out of town like frisco or a bigger city at a budget hotel and drive into the slopes to ski? or would renting a house be the best option?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaselk View Post
wow thank you so much for all the info! we have decided on Brek and thinking of renting a house because now there will be about 6 people coming with us. that may be the cheapest option being around $80-$100/night for each of us.

we are thinking of driving now so maybe you can answer a couple other questions for me?

will it be very hard to drive on hwy 70 in the Feb.-March time frame? Or do they pretty much have the roads cleared away for travelers? I've gone to Colorado every summer of my life since I can remember but have never been during that time of year.

also, since we are driving - would it be a better option to stay out of town like frisco or a bigger city at a budget hotel and drive into the slopes to ski? or would renting a house be the best option?
I think staying in a house or condo I always find more preferable as they have stuff like a kitchen, dining area and a living area and you don't have maids barging in at 8 AM or making a racket out in the hall.

Will it be hard to drive on I-70? No one knows. It could be a raging blizzard nightmare or totally sunny and dry. Yes they clear the roads but that doesn't count for much when the weather is bad. A lot of people don't seem to realize I-70 passes over 11,000 ft in elevation and that's not exactly a temperate climate zone.

My advice is to time it to cross over during the day. I'd advise not driving at night in the mountains or coming up on a friday night or going back on a sunday afternoon down to Denver. I would also advise having snow tires. If you have all season tires I would not drive in bad weather. I would also have your vehicle stocked with various bits of gear which you may or may not need depending on circumstances but if you have an accident or breakdown or delay might come in handy.

Summit County is also plenty cold at that time of year and plenty of snow and ice is on the ground, so side streets WILL be slick and snowy. Use caution.

There is no other "city" nearby but you do have the towns of Frisco, Silverthorne and Dillon that have condos and lodging. It is an option. The rule of the thumb is closer you get the slopes the exponential rise in associated accommodation costs.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:50 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaselk View Post

The more you drive, the more you risk an accident if the weather gets bad, and the more likely you are to miss days skiing.

You should either get snowtires or chains. When the weather is bad, snowtires or chains are often required to travel up mountain passes (the state patrol will check).

You should also rent your skis/snowboard equipment here in Denver. You can get a weekly rate, so you can go to any resort you want without getting equipment every morning. It is also cheaper.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM

24 posts, read 34,376 times
When planning a vacation trip Don't get alone. Get unbiased opinions and volume discounts.

Work with a reputable tour operator that will:

a) Take the time to learn about your individual needs and give you honest assessments and recommendations for multiple resorts. Like a insurance broker, tour ops are not beholden to any one company, or in this case, resort. They are free to make sure you end up at resort that ensures you will have a memorable ski vacation. And, if that resort happens to be one that they don't offer, they will point you in the right direction.

b) Give you first-hand knowledge and insights from a staff that has spent time on the mountains, seen the lodging properties, and knows what is going on in the resort communities. They will know which resorts offer "kids ski free" programs, where the best nightlife can be found, and who has the longest intermediate cruisers. This is stuff you should not have to waste your own time finding by aimlessly surfing the web.

c) Most importantly, be able to offer discounts that you would not otherwise get by setting up each component of your trip by yourself. Tour ops normally send thousands of skiers each season to the resorts they offer, and in turn the resorts and their respective lodging communities give discounts for the volume that the operator sends their way. These savings can then get passed on, and it's a win-win situation for everyone.

toursdesport

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

331 posts, read 866,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You should either get snowtires or chains. When the weather is bad, snowtires or chains are often required to travel up mountain passes (the state patrol will check).
This is interesting. I live in the Vail Valley and do not have snow tires or chains. I've got all-seasons, and they work fine, given the driver knows how to drive in snow. I've never seen anyone pulled over with the officer looking at the person's tires, unless it is a commercial vehicle.

Not sure if you've come on your vacation yet, but i'd recommend grabbing a hotel / lodge in Frisco and just driving to Breck. It doesn't take very long to get there, and Frisco is a really cool little town.

Will you be taking lessons as well? If you are, I'd honestly recommend going to Keystone instead. Breckenridge is always crazy busy, especially on weekends. Even worse is that everyone seems to go on green / blue runs there, so you won't find many runs that aren't wicked busy. Keystone is stupid busy as well, but the runs are long. You may wait a little while in line (especially if you're keeping up with 7 people), but you'll be able to ride longer per run.

That said, if you're NOT taking lessons and are a decent snowboarder, I'd recommend hitting Vail or Beaver Creek. A ticket to Vail is only $8 more for the day compared to Breck / Keystone, and if you're going to be spending the whole day there, it's far worth it. You'll probably want to stay in Edwards or Eagle-Vail if you can find the lodging, and just drive the 15 mins down the freeway to get there.

Check out a local Sports Authority for rentals; it'll be a bit cheaper than renting on the mountain. As for meals, just look around at surrounding towns (again, such as Edwards or Frisco) for food. You don't want to pay $12 for a burger on the mountain. The only times I eat on / around the mountain are when friends are buying.

If you're flying into DIA, don't try to drive up on Fridays, and don't drive back on Sundays, as wanneroo stated. The traffic is awful, and you'll probably find cheaper flights on Wed / Thurs / Mondays anyway. I don't ever drive down to Denver on Sundays unless it's an emergency, and even then I leave at about 8 - 10am here to even have a hope of missing traffic.

Good luck, and if you've already come (since the original posting was in July, before haileykrants decided to copy/paste some spam into the topic) then hope you had fun!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM

948 posts, read 1,201,855 times
Here's a link to the Management company I use in Summit County. They never have done me wrong with the exception of a lost reservation that they fixed with in an hour of our arrival.
All Summit Accommodations - Summit County Colorado Rentals Property Management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado