Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM

177 posts, read 485,149 times

Advertisements

I brought my old van through the rockies from Denver to GJ in May, now I am moving to Denver permanently and have to make at least one, but probably two trips from GJ in my old minivan to get things moved.

What is the route that will put the least strain on the old van? I don't mind driving some extra to go easy on the vehicle, and I am not concerned with the most scenic route. I was thinking about doing hwy 50 through Monarch Pass, which looks like there isn't nearly as much mountain driving, except that rather high peak at Monarch.

What route would be best? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times
Man all I can say is that will be a beating. You're not going to find any route where you won't have to go over at least one pass.

The most gentle and lowest-elevation route between Junction and Denver is over 500 miles long and takes you through Wyoming. The highest elevation is around 9000 feet just east of Laramie.

Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO - Google Maps

Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Man all I can say is that will be a beating. You're not going to find any route where you won't have to go over at least one pass.

The most gentle and lowest-elevation route between Junction and Denver is over 500 miles long and takes you through Wyoming. The highest elevation is around 9000 feet just east of Laramie.

Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO - Google Maps
I may actually go with this option for hauling the bulk of my stuff and the cats. Or if I can squeeze everything into one trip (which would weigh the van down quite a bit) it might be worth it to not overheat in the mountains. Piling it in and doing it in one trip would be less time than making sure it isn't weighed down too much and making two trips via I 70.

I would end up leaving Friday afternoon/eve and doing a considerable chunk of that route at night. But I don't think deer are too big of a risk this time of year are they?

Or maybe even get a motel in Rawlins Friday night then finish Sat

Old 07-28-2010, 09:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 14,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
I may actually go with this option for hauling the bulk of my stuff and the cats. Or if I can squeeze everything into one trip (which would weigh the van down quite a bit) it might be worth it to not overheat in the mountains. Piling it in and doing it in one trip would be less time than making sure it isn't weighed down too much and making two trips via I 70.

I would end up leaving Friday afternoon/eve and doing a considerable chunk of that route at night. But I don't think deer are too big of a risk this time of year are they?

Or maybe even get a motel in Rawlins Friday night then finish Sat
Deer will be a risk, yes, especially between Rifle and Rawlins. That area is notorious for muledeer and elk (and the occasional herd of pronghorn). Staying in Rawlins wouldn't be a bad bet.

If the van has relability issues to begin with, make sure you have a cell phone with you. The road is pretty desolate between Craig and Rawlins, and again from Rawlins to Laramie.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,719,747 times
Monarch pass will put just as much strain on your van as any of the passes on I-70. The only route which on which you can avoid the strenuous passes is to take 50 to Gunnison, then take 114 to Saguache. Then hit 50 to get to the Front Range. You'll pass over a couple "easy passes" on this route.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Monarch pass will put just as much strain on your van as any of the passes on I-70. The only route which on which you can avoid the strenuous passes is to take 50 to Gunnison, then take 114 to Saguache. Then hit 50 to get to the Front Range. You'll pass over a couple "easy passes" on this route.
This is a promising option.

Do you know if there are any LENGTHY grades of 6% plus on this route? Like 8-12 miles of steep upgrade?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Then take 285 in Sagauche to get back on 50 after Monarch Pass? And go through Colorado Springs?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM

This might be the "easiest" route...short of driving down to south New Mexico and crossing over. ;-)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=d&s...938354&t=p&z=8

Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,719,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPhoto View Post
This is a promising option.

Do you know if there are any LENGTHY grades of 6% plus on this route? Like 8-12 miles of steep upgrade?
No lengthy grades. I've taken that route many times.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,756,174 times
Why not drive to Eagle and then tow it behind a rental truck to Idaho Springs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado