Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2006, 09:36 AM

17 posts, read 127,493 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the article in MOther Earth News that lists Grand Junction as one of the 12 great places you've never heard of there is a picture of a father and son at the dino valley museum, states population at 44,693, mild dry sunny climate year round, 98.3 on the cost of living index with a median home price of 181,700. the article describes GJ in a broadstrokes, and mentions the wine industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 05:24 AM

827 posts, read 5,079,681 times
I didn't see the article Petenadi, but I know Grand Junction has a mild climate. Wine vineyards, peach trees, orchards galore are located there. It is in a desert though, I don't know if that is what you are looking for or not but it is a nice city.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:12 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
Keep in mind that GJ proper is 44,000+ but the metro area (was designated that the year I moved) has over 100,000 but don't let that scare you. It consists of GJ, Clifton, Palisade, Orchard City, Fruita and a couple of other small communities.

The winters are mild and very little snow. The altitude is lower than Denver but sits in a valley so the temps are cooler and don't lift to be very warm like it can get here on the Front Range. With that said though, the winds don't blow over there like they do here. They can but the biting cold isn't there.

It is the major retail hub for the Grand Valley. If you can't find it up in Glenwood Springs, Rifle, Parachute, Montrose etc...people typically make trip to GJ to stock up but the other areas are starting to grow up too.

Summers there can be harsh. 100+° F is not unheard of but most homes at least have evaporative coolers if not AC. It's very dry but in the summer the best time to get exercise is in the early mornings.

Great shot to Moab for various outdoors stuff along with the Grand Mesa which is excellent to go from 100s down to the low 80s or upper 70s. Sometimes cooler.

Housing is very reasonable and they do have modern and cultural things to do. They even have a Sam's club! haha.

Oh and the backdrop of the Colorado National Monument. Awesome.

If I could, I would move back in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado