U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2010, 12:17 PM

331 posts, read 531,344 times
Default Advice for snowboarder junkie? - Epic Pass

Hey all,

I'm getting an Epic Pass this year, will probably be riding Vail most of the season, and have a few questions about how to schedule my weekends in the winter. I'm hoping to move to Boulder within the next couple of months, and currently live in Denver.

A bit of background:
In the summer, I love to go mountain biking, bouldering, longboarding / skateboarding, and hang out in parks / on trails. So Boulder sounds like the perfect place for me in the summer.
However, summer is nearing an end, and I'm preparing for snowboarding season. I tend to go snowboarding every weekend, and generally dont mind driving about 2 to 2.5 hours to get to the mountains. I've heard that living in Boulder tacks on about another 30 minutes or so to my drive to Vail.

Being as I don't know how to ice climb, and will be wanting to spend most of my winter snowboarding, should I stick it out in Denver for now and move to Boulder next summer when it's time for summer mountain sports again? Is it really not that bad of a drive from Boulder compared to Denver?

Also, I'm hoping to get full days of riding in at Vail, so should I plan to leave my house around 5am to include traffic? Not sure what time slopes open. 5 isn't too bad for me to leave, but definitely wouldn't want to leave any earlier. I've also heard it's $25 / day to park at Vail. Is there anywhere else I can park for cheaper or free and just hike up the road a ways to get to the resort? $25 / day for parking seems a little steep, and I don't know too many people around Denver to ride with to share parking / rides and whatnot. Still working on that though.

For those that like to ski / ride multiple times a week, how do you go about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 PM

54 posts, read 97,923 times
In reality you are not better off in Boulder.

If you like the mountains, move there, stop being a tourist on the weekends.

Go somewhere you can walk out the door at 8:30 and still get first chair.

Best advice I can offer.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 PM

446 posts, read 968,830 times
If you want to ski Vail.....DO NOT MOVE TO BOULDER........it is going to take you FOREVER to get there in the winter, instead of 2-2.5 your looking at 2.5-3hrs..........Are you going on Weekends, please say NO....it really is that bad on I-70 on the weekends

Yes the parking garage is $25.....I hate vail for this reason and don't ski there, but I think that you can park in East Vail and ride the shuttle bus????

Personally I would just get a Colorado Pass or ever better a Loveland Pass

The slopes open @ 8:30-9.....different days, different times

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM

9,692 posts, read 11,397,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breaksraver13 View Post
If you want to ski Vail.....DO NOT MOVE TO BOULDER........it is going to take you FOREVER to get there in the winter, instead of 2-2.5 your looking at 2.5-3hrs..........Are you going on Weekends, please say NO....it really is that bad on I-70 on the weekends

Yes the parking garage is $25.....I hate vail for this reason and don't ski there, but I think that you can park in East Vail and ride the shuttle bus????

Personally I would just get a Colorado Pass or ever better a Loveland Pass

The slopes open @ 8:30-9.....different days, different times
Basically if someone wants to ski Vail frequently they should probably live there. I don't think many locals really relish skiing on the weekends, weekdays are better.

All the time on this board we have people talking about the "mountain lifestyle" in regards to Denver and realistically almost all people that live on the Front Range never spend the time in the mountains they think they will. It's not like you can ditty bop up to the mountains after 5PM after work and go skiing or biking. Some overly technical people would say yes with the foothills but realistically most decent outdoor opportunities are 1-4 hours drive from the Denver urbanblob area.

The Vail parking garages are filled on the weekends by 730 AM, 8 AM at the latest and all the parking after that is along the Frontage Road. There is a tiny commuter lot in East Vail, but there is no really no parking over there, so don't bother.

The other option if you are going all the way to Vail, may as well go to Beaver Creek/Bachelor Gulch/Arrowhead, 15 minutes down the road. It's all connected now and while BC can be busy, even on Saturdays, BG and Arrowhead can be quieter.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 PM

446 posts, read 968,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The other option if you are going all the way to Vail, may as well go to Beaver Creek/Bachelor Gulch/Arrowhead, 15 minutes down the road. It's all connected now and while BC can be busy, even on Saturdays, BG and Arrowhead can be quieter.
I ski BC all the time, never the crowds, free parking with a 30sec shuttle.........I have a full unlimited Vail pass skied 125 days this season, and not one of them was spent at Vail............Vail is big but that's the only thing going for it..........Personally I'm just going to come right out and say it.........I think it's a way over-hyped/crowded/flashy ski area, the terrain there you can find at any other ski area, and while they do get some good "dumps" everyone hordes there like it is the end-all-be-all place and you end up waiting in huge lines anyways....

-this is one person mere opinion so take it with some salt!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado