U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM

226 posts, read 668,485 times

Advertisements

Sorry for cross-posting this. Initially posted it in the Ft Collins forum by accident:

Sorry if this is an ignorant question. I realize many outsiders view the entire state of Colorado as a covered in snow in the winter, but there are actually some areas that get almost no snowfall. If I had to regularly make trips between Cheyenne, WY and Colorado Springs, CO would this be doable in the winter? Should I expect a large number of days where this is undrivable? I would possibly need to do this commute twice a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 AM

4,881 posts, read 9,630,006 times
There are many times when I-25 is closed between Wellington (north of Ft. Collins) and the Wyoming border. However, it doesn't stay closed for long. As long as you can chose your travel days, you will probably be ok. Maybe Colorado Department of Transportation has exact number of closure days; check their website.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,887,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odie91 View Post
Sorry for cross-posting this. Initially posted it in the Ft Collins forum by accident:

Sorry if this is an ignorant question. I realize many outsiders view the entire state of Colorado as a covered in snow in the winter, but there are actually some areas that get almost no snowfall. If I had to regularly make trips between Cheyenne, WY and Colorado Springs, CO would this be doable in the winter? Should I expect a large number of days where this is undrivable? I would possibly need to do this commute twice a month.
You would have two major areas of concern in the winter. The first is Monument Hill (just north of Colo Spgs). The snow there can get pretty bad, and the highway may not close, but driving conditions are very treacherous.

The second area would be near Wellington (north of Ft. Collins). While it is true that the interstate is closed there from time to time, it is more because of wind blowing the snow and creating hazardous conditions.

Since these two areas are about 100 miles apart, it is possible to have a problem in one area, but not the other. Of the two, I think you would have more problems with Monument Hill. That area is snowier than Wellington.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 AM

34,258 posts, read 41,302,530 times
Buy yourself some dedicated snow tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks so you have the best grip possible in snowy conditions,All season tires are not very effective when the snow starts falling.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,797,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You would have two major areas of concern in the winter. The first is Monument Hill (just north of Colo Spgs). The snow there can get pretty bad, and the highway may not close, but driving conditions are very treacherous.

The second area would be near Wellington (north of Ft. Collins). While it is true that the interstate is closed there from time to time, it is more because of wind blowing the snow and creating hazardous conditions.

Since these two areas are about 100 miles apart, it is possible to have a problem in one area, but not the other. Of the two, I think you would have more problems with Monument Hill. That area is snowier than Wellington.
I agree with this. The two problem areas mentioned have different challenges. As noted, I-25 north of Wellington can get severe blizzards at times in the winter. When they happen, the road usually closes. Some years see few or no closures and those that do occur don't last long. Other years see more frequent closures--with a couple that may last a day or more.

Monument Hill can be an absolute mess. Winter conditions can be arduous, but it the sheer amount of traffic--much of ignorant or idiot drivers with no winter-driving savvy that turn the thing into a demolition derby in a winter storm. Those conditions caused by the fools can occur all the way from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs in a bad winter storm.

I no longer have to drive that road other than very occasionally, and I'm damned glad of it. It's a nightmare drive from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs-full of idiots day or night, year-round. It sucks.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 PM

16,511 posts, read 20,925,746 times
The worst part of Monument Hill is between the Greenland exit and Tomah Rd. There's just something about the storms in that spot that are just gawdawful. And I agree with Jazzlover regarding the drivers. A five mile backup in either direction regarding accidents on that stretch happens from time to time, absolutely not a rare occasion. I have 2 sisters who live in that area, one off the old 85/87 (now called Spruce Mtn Rd.) and another on 105. Was visiting them over the weekend and my brother in law and I went to the Bronco scrimmage at Invesco. Sat. afternoon this travel trailor separated off a Travelall. Went flying forward, had the right two lanes northbound blocked and you couldn't get around on the shoulder either as it was a 20 footer. Fortunately no vehicles were hit by it but it snarled traffic for maybe an hour and a half at the Castle Pines exit. Listening to KOA traffic reports the backup behind us stacked another three and a half, maybe four miles. What a mess.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,746,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
My spouse drove over Monument Hill everyday for several years in a regular front-wheel drive sedan without snow tires during rush hour. I think he called the drive off once because of treacherous conditions during the horrendous winter of 2006. Can it be bad? Yes, but most of the time the drive will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado