U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM

64 posts, read 93,723 times

Advertisements

I've heard wonderful things about CO being a great place for raising a family. The snow is my primary concern. What areas have less snow?

I'm trying to meet these criteria:

-I'm tired of the bugs and humidity of VA Beach, so a place that doesn't have many pests, low humidity, rarely goes above 90, sunny, clear days, but just enough rain that things are green, and experiences the Fall season

-A population under 200k with houses not exceeding 300k and houses that aren't right up on their neighbor (.25 acres+)

-Good schools, low crime, sense of community, fairly friendly, nearby recreation (bike paths, trails, boating/lakes)

-Near bigger cities, not rural

-Near IT jobs

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 PM

81,411 posts, read 92,175,058 times
Nothing near the big cities of Colorado has "less snow". Colorado Spings has marginally less snow than Denver, but those are the only "big" cities in CO. Denver has an average of 33 days of 90+ weather each year. Sometimes it's a lot more than that. Colorado Springs has an average of 18 days >90 degrees/yr.

Weatherbase - Records and Averages for United States of America

.25 acres is considered large both in metro Denver, and from what I've seen, in Colorado Springs. You might find some places east of COS that have larger lots, but the price range may not work.

Schools are good just about everywhere. Most family areas are low crime. There is a current thread with crime stats on one of these CO forums.

Plenty of bike paths and trails everywhere, not so much for the boating/lakes. I know some will disagree with me on this, but the little reservoirs we have here are nothing compared to what you are probably used to.

Job situation is bleak, but not hopeless, for IT.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM

529 posts, read 1,090,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Job situation is bleak, but not hopeless, for IT.
I'd say the job situation is pretty hopeless for all professions except medical. My chosen career is IT too.

In my own experience, the three interviews I had in Colorado this year, one in Durango, another in Canon City and a third in the Springs, all (potential) employers advised me they had hundreds of applicants for the positions. Actually the one in the Springs had over 300. I don't know how many were qualified. Also, the jobs didn't pay a whole lot but I could have made a living on them.

If the OP has a job currently, I'd advise that person to stay put.

I don't know what kind of lot and house you could get for 300K but it won't buy much in mountain CO. Also the only city I know of on the Front Range not part of the Denver-CS-Fort Collins oligopoly is Pueblo. Pueblo, might be, a culture shock.

ps. I agree with everything else in your post.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM

7,737 posts, read 15,757,784 times
lady757....my wife and I moved to Grand Junction - CO 4 years ago. Prior to that we lived in the Great Neck Estates subdivision of Virginia Beach for 16 years, so I genuinely understand your wanting to get the heck out of there. We lucked out with the timing aspect and sold our home in 2 days...full price offer, with no contingencies. Ah those were the good ole days! We made the move with no job prospects in sight, but those were different times. I don't think I'd make a move today with no job confirmation, but everyone has to make that decision for themself.

Grand Junction gets very little snow, but the 4 winters I've been here have been very cold, and even the few inches of snowfall that accummulates stays on the ground for several months. But the past 4 winters have been quite a few degrees colder than the long term norm, so I'm hoping the cold is just a short term abberation. Grand Junction is considered to have a mild winter by Colorado standards, but that hasn't been the case since I've been here. It was alot warmer in Boulder when I lived there back in the 70s, but it snowed more frequently with bigger accumulation in Boulder the winters I spent there.

Unfortunately, the Grand Junction economy is in the pits right now, and jobs of ANY kind are hard to come by. Real estate values have taken a dive in the past few years, so you could easily find what you are looking for with regards to housing in your price range.

The climate here in the desert is sunny and dry, with little to no humidity. It's almost the exact opposite of Virginia Beach, but there are many more 90 + days than you get in Virginia Beach. But that's not a bad thing, because 90 degrees in this dry air is actually quite comfortable....roughly on par with 80 degrees in Va Bch. Earlier this summer we did have a streak of 6 consecutive days of triple digit highs. But again, the air was dry and it wasn't that bad. Nothing at all like a 100 degree day back in the rain forest of Virginia Beach. We don't even have an air conditioner in our house. Swamp cooolers work quite well in the dry climate and they consume only about 20% of the energy that an AC requires...so you are likely to see your energy bills drop considerably.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-09-2010 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM

5,596 posts, read 19,354,202 times
Want to live in Colorado, need IT jobs... that most likely means living on the Front Range, most likely Denver metro area.

Norfolk, VA average annual snowfall: 7in
Denver, CO average annual snowfall: 60in

You will have to bump up your tolerance for heat and snow and wacky weather in general... and give up the 1/4+ acre requirement to find what you're looking for.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM

19,557 posts, read 35,709,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady757 View Post
I've heard wonderful things about CO being a great place for raising a family. The snow is my primary concern. What areas have less snow? I'm trying to meet these criteria:

-I'm tired of the bugs and humidity of VA Beach, so a place that doesn't have many pests, low humidity, rarely goes above 90, sunny, clear days, but just enough rain that things are green, and experiences the Fall season

-A population under 200k with houses not exceeding 300k and houses that aren't right up on their neighbor (.25 acres+)

-Good schools, low crime, sense of community, fairly friendly, nearby recreation (bike paths, trails, boating/lakes)

-Near bigger cities, not rural

-Near IT jobs

Thanks for any help
We came to COLO SPGS in 2005, we understand your wishes to escape the bugs, humidity, high prices, etc.

You will most likely have to compromise on some of your wish list.

I'm partial to COLO SPGS, the city is 400K and with EL Paso county thrown in gets up to 600K.

Not a lot of boating here, but Lake Pueblo (reservoir) is an hour south.

Some IT jobs here, especially if the IT person has a DOD clearance as there is a huge military presence here at the USAF Academy, Peterson AFB, Fort Carson and tons of contractors all over town.

Denver metro area, 3M people, is 60-90 minutes north and has anything we don't have in COLO SPGS.

Schools here are excellent. Crime is low, especially on the north ends of town. Tons of home here under 300K. Home lots of 1/4 acre can be found, though many are a bit smaller because landscaping here isn't cheap; if you want grass you have to water a lot because we only get 13 inches of rain per year. I've no problem with 1/5 acre. Lots of sun here and with the dry air even winter days feel mild. Snow tends to melt quickly in the bright sun and dry air, but we do get a blizzard every so often but it's light powdery stuff not that eastern slushy stuff.

All in all, you can't go wrong anywhere along the Front Range from Fort Collins to Colo Spgs, along the I-25 corridor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 PM

4,529 posts, read 8,353,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady757 View Post
I've heard wonderful things about CO being a great place for raising a family. The snow is my primary concern. What areas have less snow?
Western Colorado - Grand Junction, Montrose, Delta. Has the least snow of anywhere in Colorado.

Quote:
You'll find all of this anywhere in Colorado, except for the "green" part. Most of the state, except for some areas in the mountains, are usually dry and brown. This is the southwest, it's an arid area.

Quote:
Grand Junction, Montrose, Cedaredge, Rifle (Western Colorado)
Fort Collins, Longmont (Eastern Colorado)

Quote:
True for most of Colorado with the exception of a few neighborhoods in Denver that experience more crime

Quote:
-Near IT jobs
The only places where there's IT jobs are Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs. If IT jobs are a requirement, then you'll have to look at towns around these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado