U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM

20,321 posts, read 37,832,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
.... Also, planning continues for the projected 2013 date of world famous artist Christo's Over The River Installation which will be just west of Canon City along the Arkansas River. It is good to see the city and business leaders get behind this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity....
Paper reports that the BLM recommends the project and has released its final environmental impact statement for public comment. The date has moved out to 2014 for the event.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 13,671 times
My wife and I lived in Canon City for several years and developed some severe arthritis. We also lost a beloved dog to a fast growing form of cancer. Just a coincidence? Maybe but after being away from the area (and the water)for five years our symptoms have subsided. I really believe there is more to the pollution there than is being reported. I would not trust the local government to be honest about the situation....it would kill their tourism business. Toxic town in my opinion!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 AM

486 posts, read 1,236,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpro View Post
My wife and I lived in Canon City for several years and developed some severe arthritis. We also lost a beloved dog to a fast growing form of cancer. Just a coincidence? Maybe but after being away from the area (and the water)for five years our symptoms have subsided. I really believe there is more to the pollution there than is being reported. I would not trust the local government to be honest about the situation....it would kill their tourism business. Toxic town in my opinion!
Just curious... what part of Canon City did you live in?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,463 times
Take a look:
Issues at Cañon City uranium mill (Colorado)
and
http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/
RP

Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Just curious... what part of Canon City did you live in?
Just west of town. I also forgot to mention we had several friends with teenage daughters and they were plagued with ovarian cysts that required many surgeries. I believe that any resident of Canon City that believes they are immune from the past problems at Cotter are just kidding themselves. I would NEVER live there again!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:12 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,465,200 times
jetpro wrote:
I also forgot to mention we had several friends with teenage daughters and they were plagued with ovarian cysts that required many surgeries. I believe that any resident of Canon City that believes they are immune from the past problems at Cotter are just kidding themselves. I would NEVER live there again!
Unfortuantely these types of crimes against nature are taking place all over the country, and so are the coverups that go along with the crimes. In the small PA town where I grew up.....duing the late 80s and early 90s, a very high percentage of the residents were dying of Cancer. My mom was included in that unfortunate group, as was the one of the next door neighbors on either side of my dads house and two other people on the same block. They all died of cancer in a two year period. When the possibity was raised that one of the factores in town might be contaminating the H2O, the local politicians vehemently denied that possibility, and chalked up the unusually high death rate to coincidence. Then lo and behold, in the early 2000s, it was divulged that the water was indeed contaminated and the town water was declared undrinkable. The offending company was responsible for providing bottled water ( among other things ) to all city residents until the contamination could be cleaned up ( YEAH RIGHT! ). In 2010, the water was declared safe to drink. Personally, I can't imagine any one in town who might be foolish enough to drink water out of the tap, but then again, idiocy knows no bounds.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Just west of town. I also forgot to mention we had several friends with teenage daughters and they were plagued with ovarian cysts that required many surgeries. I believe that any resident of Canon City that believes they are immune from the past problems at Cotter are just kidding themselves. I would NEVER live there again!
Just a thought... if you lived WEST of town (upstream, uphill and upwind from the Superfund site) you really should not have been affected from the contamination. Not to say that some people in town may not be suffering effects - expecially those people who lived in Lincoln Park and have well water.

But you living west of town should not have been affected by Cotter's mess. Now, did you live near Talahassee? That's a whole 'nother story.

I am not defending Cotter - I can't stand them and their toxic crap! But you do sound a tad alarmist. People get cancer and cysts all over the world. And there are many people in Canon City who don't have cancer or cysts or arthritis.

There are also many superfund sites around Colorado. Please don't make Canon City sound like some freakish cesspool. The history of Colorado is tied to a mining past and so many of us live in places that bear the residual effects of that industry - not JUST Canon City.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,621,463 times
Here's some good maps of the groundwater situation. I wouldn't live in Canon either.
http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/cotter/111102gwppt.pdf
RP

Old 02-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Just a thought... if you lived WEST of town (upstream, uphill and upwind from the Superfund site) you really should not have been affected from the contamination. Not to say that some people in town may not be suffering effects - expecially those people who lived in Lincoln Park and have well water.

But you living west of town should not have been affected by Cotter's mess. Now, did you live near Talahassee? That's a whole 'nother story.

I am not defending Cotter - I can't stand them and their toxic crap! But you do sound a tad alarmist. People get cancer and cysts all over the world. And there are many people in Canon City who don't have cancer or cysts or arthritis.

There are also many superfund sites around Colorado. Please don't make Canon City sound like some freakish cesspool. The history of Colorado is tied to a mining past and so many of us live in places that bear the residual effects of that industry - not JUST Canon City.
Sesamame Kid, I notice that you are always the first to defend Canon City on this forum. Are you really so naieve as to think that the pollution in CC is just isolated to one area? It isn't just the water, the high winds in that area have spread the uranium tailings far and wide. Just because you don't live in Lincoln Park does not mean you are immune. That said, if you love it there so much then good for you. Ignorance is bliss

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Sesamame Kid, I notice that you are always the first to defend Canon City on this forum. Are you really so naieve as to think that the pollution in CC is just isolated to one area? It isn't just the water, the high winds in that area have spread the uranium tailings far and wide. Just because you don't live in Lincoln Park does not mean you are immune. That said, if you love it there so much then good for you. Ignorance is bliss
Yes, and the sky is falling.

Get real. Canon City is not the root of all evils and ailments. You sound simply shrill in your claims. (your dog died of cancer and you got arthritis??) And that's Canon City's fault?
Gee, dogs don't die from cancer anywhere else in the country. And I've never heard of anyone getting arthritis anywhere else

Everyone who lives in the western world is contaminated in SOME way.
If you have such valid claims specific to Canon City, then why don't you hire a personal injury lawyer and sue Cotter, the City of Canon City, the state of Colorado and the federal government?

I'm curious to know where you live now that is so supremely toxicity-free and healthful???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado