U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 PM

9,816 posts, read 18,996,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I read the OP's post over and over and didn't conclude he was looking for those things.

How about around Granby?
They asked for an opinion on what our perfect town would be and my opinion is that there is not one. If you have a price is no object mindset... I have a few ideas for that.

Granby is less than 2000 people and due to the pass it can be a drive. I think if you are prepared for long winters and that works for you, it can be an option. Boulder I am guessing when all is said and done, it about a 2 hour drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:32 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,220,516 times
Also check out Glenwood Springs, a town with about 8,500 residents. It's 86 miles from Grand Junction and 157 from Denver. It has a mall with a JC Penneys and other shops and is 41 miles from more stuff in Aspen. Also has Amtrak service. It's beautiful around there.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 AM

4,889 posts, read 8,885,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodsonx View Post
This is my first post - now I need your advice. Recently retired, my husband and I would like to relocate to the wonderful climate in Colorado. We have been enduring 100+ degrees with high humidity all summer here in South Arkansas. Our interests are hiking, biking, watching the wildlife, and perhaps snowmobiling (we've never done that, but it looks like it would be so much fun). We love the mountains and lakes!
Snowmobiling is a blast! It's one of the funnest things I've ever done.

Quote:
We would like to live in a small to medium-size town (15K to 60K population), but be located within an hour's drive to a larger city.
This means you're limited to the Front Range of Colorado: the I-25 corridor. The rest of Colorado consists of a lot of very small towns with a lot of driving distance between them.

Towns you might consider:

• Littleton
  • Golden
  • Fort Collins
  • Castle Rock
  • Evergreen
  • Louisville
You can't go wrong with any of these choices.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM

529 posts, read 1,136,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Towns you might consider:

• Littleton
  • Golden
  • Fort Collins
  • Castle Rock
  • Evergreen
  • Louisville
You can't go wrong with any of these choices.
I agree with 80skeys. These ARE nice places.

However, you are coming from Southern Arkansas and you're probably used to some separation between cities. These are all part of the Front Range Blob with no real separation except for a tiny bit between Castle Rock and Highland's Ranch and it's really not that separated. You better go for a visit before you decide on these areas. The Fort Collins-Denver-CO Springs is really just one big area. The exception is Evergreen but it is more expensive, generally than the Denver metro area.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM

11 posts, read 15,475 times
I haven't been online for a couple of days, so I'm just now reading all of your comments. They are all really good suggestions that I will check out. My husband just told me that he really prefers a smaller town. I'm not sure if he would be content on the Front Range with so many cities all bundled up together. Yes, most cities in Arkansas are separated by a few miles. As you have all suggested, we will need to visit, visit, visit. Maybe I should scratch off the requirement to be located near a big city.....We will try to make a 3-week visit after Labor Day to get a feel for the type of area that we would enjoy most. It takes a lot of time to research all of the places that you have suggested, but I will definitely see what each one has to offer. Any further discussion and suggestions are certainly welcome. Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,779,781 times
We were moving from a small city, 5,000 but had lived most of our working lives in and around big cities. We looked at the front range because we felt the western slope was too remote and neither of us could take the longer winters in the mountain towns. I ski and I wouldn't want to live at altitude.

We settled on Loveland, it's about 55,000, an hour to Denver, 15 minutes south of Fort Collins and it is a "self-contained" city. No need to shop outside for anything, unless you're looking for a luxury/import car. We feel very safe walking at night, we can bicycle downtown, good schools (although we're retired we recognize the necessity of schools), low cost of living, excellent medical facilities, two colleges within 20 miles (UNC is in Greeley, CSU is in Ft. Collins) which gives some other cultural outlets.

Overall we've been very pleased with Loveland in the 2+ years we've been here. We run out A/C a couple of days each summer but prefer the open windows. Last winter was a bit colder and longer than the normal but statistically that means that the next couple should be shorter and warmer, right?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 AM

529 posts, read 1,136,847 times
One other thing, Louisville will be a lot more expensive than Southern Arkansas. Depending on your budget, you'll need to investigate what you can afford to spend. I see on realtor.com that 230K will buy you a condo in Louisville but not much in the way of a house.

I know one thing; you'll enjoy the tax break in CO (for now) versus AR where they tax everything.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:36 PM

11 posts, read 15,475 times
Thank you, golfgod, for recommending Loveland. I am not so sure that we would enjoy the remoteness and long winters on the western slope either. Good point! Low cost of living and excellent medical facilities would be a plus, for sure. Do you agree with Ziasforever about the tax break in CO? Yes, AR gets their share alright.

Ziasforever, I'm beginning to think that any place in CO will be more expensive than AR. Is that your thinking, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or