U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2006, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 5,533 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Ft. Collins/Loveland area. My concerns are: mosquitos, ethnic diversity and population size. We are looking to move out of the LV area, where we love the weather (dry heat NOT HUMID, great winters), but hate the traffic, over crowding, and pollution. I just love going to work and seeing the brown haze hovering over the city

What does Ft. Collins/Loveland have in comparison? What's the population size, the polluction/air quality like? Most importantly: is the area plagued with mosquitos similar to Louisanna? I wonder since the area has lakes. As a child my summers were spent visiting my relatives in Louisanna and being bitten by mosquitos. I still have mosquito marks on my legs to this day.

Also, is the area ethnically challenged? What about jobs? What's drives the economy? My husband currently works for the city in the plans & permit department.

Thank you for your response

chicchickk
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 AM

11 posts, read 63,262 times
ive killed maybe 50 mosquitos in the last 16 years and I lived in Evergreen, so no not many...

Old 12-07-2006, 03:01 PM

615 posts, read 2,721,801 times
I can't speak specifically for the Ft. Collins/Loveland area, but in general there is not much diversity in CO. However, there is not much racial tension either. Some areas are more diverse, like Denver proper, Colorado Springs (due to military) and Greeley (from what I hear).

I wouldn't worry about mosquitos much. CO has far fewer bugs than down in Louisiana (and no termites).

Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,512,833 times
Hi, I'm a former Fort Collins resident, so I hope I can answer your question.

mosquitoes: You won't notice a lot of bugs around because early and late frosts tend to kill them off. But... a few years ago Fort Collins did have the highest rate of West Nile anywhere. It was a perfect storm sort of event where there was lots of rain, then lots of sun, right when the infected mosquitoes flew in from the east. I doubt this will be repeated but if you're worried about this you should know.

population: Fort Collins: about 120,000 Loveland: about 60,000

pollution/air quality: a little smog blows in from the south at times, not much.

lakes: there are a few lakes in and around Fort Collins/Loveland. The most noticable one is the lake right in the middle of the town of Loveland. By eastern standards these lakes are more like ponds, however.

jobs: The largest employer is Colorado State University. After that, there's a group of tech employers on the southeast side of Fort Collins: HP, Agilent, Intel, and a few others. I would say that the area tends to be vulnerable to tech downturns as there is a huge concentration of jobs in a handful of companies.

Ethnically challenged: The area is predominantly caucasian, if that's what you mean. There are some international students who go to CSU and some international workers at the tech employers, as well as a growing Hispanic population.

Despite the fact that I sound negative here, and I hope I don't, I can give a strong recommendation to Fort Collins. I think it's a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or