U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,721 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My fiance and I (25 and 29, no kids) are looking into moving to CO. I see a good amount of questions about the Denver area, but we are looking to move to the western part of the state. We dont want to live smack dab in a big city (we're coming from Phoenix metro so we want pine trees, mountains and snow!!), but we want to be close enough for work and evenings out. Also, being close to areas with good winter sports available is very important. Nothing too expensive, too dodgy or too desolate...maybe Im being picky, but just wondering what my options would be, thank you all for your input in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Most work in COLO is in the Denver Metro Area (DMA) of 3M people, or various cities along the I-25 corridor from Fort Collins to Pueblo.

Consider places on the east side of the mountains, like these:
- Golden, at the foothills on the far west edge of the DMA and an easy drive into Denver for tons of things to see and do.
- Estes Park, gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park and well away from the DMA.
- Boulder, at the base of the Flatirons, rather expensive in most areas, though you might find something to your liking.
- Colorado Springs, at the foot of Pikes Peak and Pike National Forest.
- Canon City, nice small town close to mountains and very affordable.

On the western side there are a lot of fine towns, but work is harder to come by.

In the mountains themselves the weather is tough in winter, few jobs, can be very expensive in the ritzy ski areas. But the Durango area might be just the ticket, though it can be a tad expensive.

Lots to pick from. We always suggest a visit to check it out. There are tons of threads in the forum, try the search tool, it's great.

Evenings out are best enjoyed in the DMA.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaluv711 View Post
Hello all! My fiance and I (25 and 29, no kids) are looking into moving to CO. I see a good amount of questions about the Denver area, but we are looking to move to the western part of the state. We dont want to live smack dab in a big city (we're coming from Phoenix metro so we want pine trees, mountains and snow!!), but we want to be close enough for work and evenings out. Also, being close to areas with good winter sports available is very important. Nothing too expensive, too dodgy or too desolate...maybe Im being picky, but just wondering what my options would be, thank you all for your input in advance!

To have pine trees, mountains and snow you'll need to be above 7000 and more realistically 8000 ft and that really limits your options to a number of ski towns.

The wealthy people want the same as well with pine trees and snow and mountains and nights out, so that's where they tend to cluster and where any decent jobs are as well. Of course the cost of living is expensive. But as I always say, there are no free rides. To get that mountain sports lifestyle you have to pay up and keep paying. You'll likely be living in a condo you can spin your arms around and touch all the walls and be working well past 40 hours a week in the winter. I used to average around 80-110 hours a week for work in winter. Daily average was usually around 13 hours, 7 days a week.

There are countless previous threads in the Colorado forum here about all this so I'd take a couple of hours and read through some of what is already out there, digest it and then come back with some pointed questions.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM

WANNEROO - I figured as much about wanting all the best the state has to offer, EVERYONE wants that so why not charge a ton for it right?? I giggled about the condo living situation in those areas, Im sure you're probably right about having to live in tiny quarters. We're use to living in good sized homes being in AZ they're not ridiculously expensive so that wouldnt work for us, we'd feel like hamsters and fight like cats and dogs!....MIKE FROM BACK EAST - thank you for the insight that is very helpful! Im going to check some of those suggested places out, I was thinking about Durango as well.

PLEASE PEOPLE MORE SUGGESTIONS!!!!! WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM

4,875 posts, read 9,619,939 times
lolaluv, you say you want to live somewhere "close enough for work". Do you know what kind of jobs you will be looking for? As Mike said, most of the work is along the Front Range corridor.

Why do you want the western part of the state? Most of the ski areas are centrally located and, as others have said, living anywhere near the ski areas is prohibitively expensive.

PLEASE REVIEW THE COUNTLESS PREVIOUS THREADS ABOUT THESE ISSUES.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM

DREAMING OF HAWAII - our families are in AZ and we want it to be within driving distance, basically 8-10 hrs away. I work for Matson Navigation (maybe you've heard of us being from Hawaii )and work remotely if that was made available to me. I also have a degree in Tourism Development so I could realistically get a job at a number of hotel and resorts. My fiance, however, is starting his career as a financial planner. He's more the one who would need to be near a larger city.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
WANNEROO - I figured as much about wanting all the best the state has to offer, EVERYONE wants that so why not charge a ton for it right?? I giggled about the condo living situation in those areas, Im sure you're probably right about having to live in tiny quarters. We're use to living in good sized homes being in AZ they're not ridiculously expensive so that wouldnt work for us, we'd feel like hamsters and fight like cats and dogs!....MIKE FROM BACK EAST - thank you for the insight that is very helpful! Im going to check some of those suggested places out, I was thinking about Durango as well.

PLEASE PEOPLE MORE SUGGESTIONS!!!!! WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET!
It's pretty simple.

The pics you see of Colorado with trees, streams and maybe snow are all high elevation, rugged areas that industry neither gravitates to, nor do people due to the harsh conditions. The habitable, available areas are limited and expensive and have few industries to draw upon.

The towns that have the mountain sports and jobs are pretty much ski towns with skiing as the main industry and 2nd home and vacation real estate as a secondary industry. Both industries are doing so so and have had some cutbacks in recent times.

If you can bring your job with you great, because in these towns it is very competitive. Yes there are some good jobs, but you have to earn your spurs as a "local" and network. Personal services like real estate agents, financial planners, ski instructors, fitness trainers, massage therapists are all dime a dozen due to everyone and their brother wanting to live "in the mountains". Most of these people have 2nd and 3rd jobs.

As I said, there is a wealth of info already previously pounded in the ground about this subject on this forum. Do some digging and read. And then you'll be able to barf up more specifics than "I want cheap, well paid living in mountain paradise with skiing all day and parties all night" because that is a fantasy that doesn't exist unless you are independently wealthy to the tune of millions.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM

529 posts, read 1,167,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's pretty simple.

The pics you see of Colorado with trees, streams and maybe snow are all high elevation, rugged areas that industry neither gravitates to, nor do people due to the harsh conditions. The habitable, available areas are limited and expensive and have few industries to draw upon.

The towns that have the mountain sports and jobs are pretty much ski towns with skiing as the main industry and 2nd home and vacation real estate as a secondary industry. Both industries are doing so so and have had some cutbacks in recent times.

If you can bring your job with you great, because in these towns it is very competitive. Yes there are some good jobs, but you have to earn your spurs as a "local" and network. Personal services like real estate agents, financial planners, ski instructors, fitness trainers, massage therapists are all dime a dozen due to everyone and their brother wanting to live "in the mountains". Most of these people have 2nd and 3rd jobs.

As I said, there is a wealth of info already previously pounded in the ground about this subject on this forum. Do some digging and read. And then you'll be able to barf up more specifics than "I want cheap, well paid living in mountain paradise with skiing all day and parties all night" because that is a fantasy that doesn't exist unless you are independently wealthy to the tune of millions.
I'd agree with what Wanneroo says; if you want to have a good time and enjoy the Western Slope, bring a bank account with lots of zeros to the right of the postive number. There hasn't been any 'cheap' mountain living in probably 30 years.

I can definitely verify Wanneroo's other claims of competition for jobs. I have had a couple of job interviews on the Western Slope this year. The employers advise me they had dozens and dozens of applicants for jobs (in one of the cases over a 100).

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
DREAMING OF HAWAII - our families are in AZ and we want it to be within driving distance, basically 8-10 hrs away. I work for Matson Navigation (maybe you've heard of us being from Hawaii )and work remotely if that was made available to me. I also have a degree in Tourism Development so I could realistically get a job at a number of hotel and resorts. My fiance, however, is starting his career as a financial planner. He's more the one who would need to be near a larger city.
Small world! When my wife and I worked for the Army and/or GSA back in DC, yes, we dealt with Matson.

Colorado's ONLY 5-star resort / hotel is the Broadmoor, is here in COLO SGPS, busy year-round. Most financial work is in Denver, the big dog of cities for hundreds of miles in any direction (Salt Lake City is 500+, Kansas City is 600+ etc). I see your best bet as the Front Range.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM

529 posts, read 1,167,199 times
Yes, I'd have to agree with Mike FBE on that assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or