U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 PM

349 posts, read 808,456 times

Advertisements

First, a little bit of background...

Me: Raised in San Diego, CA. Loved it there. Loved the weather, the people the attractions, the melting pot effect, etc.

Husband: Raised in SC. Loves it there. Loves the people, the weather?, and I guess he loves mosquitoes and not being able to enjoy the evenings outside... whatever. Hates dry climates and the cold... but I think it's just that he doesn't want to leave SC. He does however say that he is excited to move to CO because of all of the outdoor things we can do there.

We are currently in Myrtle Beach, SC. Our daughter is 3. We pay $980 a month rent for a 3 BR/ 2.5 BA 1800 sq/ft house with an office/playroom in a nice subdivision (nice except that it is a subdivision... blah.)

I am using my GI Bill to go to school online for my BS in Web Development (Class of 2012) and he works for Time Warner Cable (will most likely transfer). We have $1100 a month in other income guaranteed for the rest of our lives.

Hopefully within the next year, we hope to be in Colorado. We are looking at Colorado Springs and Denver right now and are wondering which one would be better for our family? Could we afford to live in a nice area? Are the taxes high?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,249,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
Hates dry climates and the cold.
And how did you choose Colorado?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 AM

14 posts, read 35,167 times
If you want cheaper rent, no subdivisions, a good place to raise your daughter and less taxes, look beyond Denver & Colorado Springs to the smaller rural areas. And like the previous poster asked...if he hates dry and cold weather...how did you come up with Colorado?

I am a small town gal...I like to visit the city, but the best part for me is LEAVING!!! I can't stand all the people, traffic and cars! If you are tolerable to that, than you will be fine. IMO, Colorado Springs is MUCH worse for traffic than Denver. I am just not a fan of Colorado Springs and avoid going there any time I can.

You will be hard pressed to find a descent place for $980/month rent in the city. Plus, the watering restrictions are horrible! Everyone's grass is dying/dead by mid June!

Take my advice with a grain of salt....we are moving out of CO next summer...to the warm moist green south east!

Good luck to you and your family though!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM

529 posts, read 1,215,525 times
Quote:
We are currently in Myrtle Beach, SC. Our daughter is 3. We pay $980 a month rent for a 3 BR/ 2.5 BA 1800 sq/ft house with an office/playroom in a nice subdivision (nice except that it is a subdivision... blah.)
You're going to find blah subdivisions on the Front Range blob as well. I am not sure you can get nearly that much house for 980 a month anywhere good in Denver. I don't know about CO Springs. A realtor aquintance of mine is renting her 2Bed/1bath bungalow for $1100 a month. I don't know where it's at in the Springs.

Maybe you can get that much house in Walsenburg for that kind of money but the job situation there reflects that as well.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:05 AM

9,840 posts, read 20,397,174 times
Quote:
Husband: Raised in SC. Loves it there. Loves the people, the weather?, and I guess he loves mosquitoes and not being able to enjoy the evenings outside... whatever. Hates dry climates and the cold...

For a few years when I lived in Colorado, I'd usually spend a month or a few months every year in the coastal south usually going back and forth twice a year.

It is a very significant change going from sea level and humidity to high elevation with thin air and intense sunshine plus dry air.

It sounds to me that you are driving this more than he is and he is pretty content staying at home in SC.

Again like I advise to everyone, before making such a big life change, visit and not as a tourist but with the view as what daily life would be like.

Also Denver and Colorado Springs are cities with tons of bog standard subdivisions and cookie cutter homes. If you are trying to flee suburbia by going to either, well, not happening.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM

9,840 posts, read 20,397,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvv4life View Post
If you want cheaper rent, no subdivisions, a good place to raise your daughter and less taxes, look beyond Denver & Colorado Springs to the smaller rural areas. !
That can be a great suggestion if you are independently wealthy or bring your job with you, but the problem with those areas are jobs, especially if it is a two income household.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Again like I advise to everyone, before making such a big life change, visit and not as a tourist but with the view as what daily life would be like.
Definitely. We've tried to do as much routine stuff as possible on our trips to get a feel for the place. Things like driving in 5pm traffic, visting Costco on a Sunday afternoon, and driving to the grocery store at 8pm when its 12 degrees. Its impossible to fully understand a place without living there but if you spend your entire trip hanging out at the hotel pool or at Garden of the Gods, you'll get a different impression. Not that you shouldn't enjoy yourself on a visit, but try to mix in some everyday stuff that you'll have to do when you live there.

I suggest making at least two visits before deciding anything. Spend a week there in January/February and another in July/August.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 PM

22,803 posts, read 41,740,818 times
I'm from back east, Baltimore-DC area, and know the humidity and bug issues of the east. I'm fine here in COLO with the dry air and the winter cold, thus I think anyone can acclimate to our climate and actually ENJOY it. Yes, you can do outdoor stuff here all year.

In a nutshell, employment is the key determinant of where you end up living; either Denver or COLO SPGS will do fine. Denver has more job opportunities, diversity, attractions, culture and pro sports, though is a bit more expensive. Either city has access to outdoor activities.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM

349 posts, read 808,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
And how did you choose Colorado?
i had to suffer through the heat and humidity of sc... so i figure it's his turn. lol, the winters aren't too bad right? and we are trying to live fuller healthier lives- and colorado seems perfect as far as that goes... you can't have everything right?

Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
i had to suffer through the heat and humidity of sc... so i figure it's his turn. lol, the winters aren't too bad right? and we are trying to live fuller healthier lives- and colorado seems perfect as far as that goes... you can't have everything right?
I've lived up the road from you in OC all my life. I've visited Texas, the Midwest, and the South in the summer and know I couldn't take the heat and especially the humidity either. How you handle Denver's winters will vary by person. Some people can't handle anything resembling cold while others love crisp air. If your husband really loves the swampy air of South Carolina, he'll probably find the dryness to be the hardest to deal with in Colorado. Of course it does snow in winter but the sun tends to melt it quickly. As one guy I met told me, "You'll be shoveling snow in short sleeves.". Then they occasionally get the kind of storm that shuts down the city for a couple of days.

I will say that from reading City-Data extensively and from spending a week in Denver in February, you have to recalibrate your notions of hot and cold when you come from a different part of the country. In the winter, Denver's low humidity, lower air pressure, and intense sun makes 30 degrees feel warmer than 50 does in SoCal. I remember I had to leave my cell phone in the car one morning while I went to the US Mint and when I retrieved it, it was like and ice cube. Of course it was about 30 degrees but I wasn't cold so I was puzzled at first as to why it was so cold. It a weird disconnect and hard to appreciate it until you experience it first hand.

In the summer, the low humidity and lower air pressure makes 90 degrees in the shade feel quite comfortable. Step into the sun and it gets hot though. And like coastal SoCal, summer nights are still cool enough to give you a break from the day's heat, unlike Texas where its still 80+ and sticky at bedtime.

Like I wrote above, check it out at the coldest and hottest part of the year, see how you both react, and be honest with yourselves about whether you can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado