U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Status: "A subtle racist is still a racist" (set 25 days ago)

16,709 posts, read 7,954,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It is. Turning left onto an on-ramp with a left turn signal is safer than having less than 100 feet to speed up and merge with traffic going 65 or 75 MPH. If it wasn't, cloverleafs wouldn't be in the process of being ripped up all over the country.

Cloverleaf interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay, I read the article, but I didn't read that.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Well, at the risk of getting out posters very upset again, I was back up in Golden area again yesterday, and I want to clarify my complaint.

In regard to poor signage, I particularly tried to note signage along route C-470. Again, I find it odd that there are no signs to indicate major communities along the route such as Littleton and Golden, both incorporated communities. On the other hand there was signage for Dinosaur Ridge, but none as to where to exit for Red Rocks Park & Amphitheater...although once you passed the exit, you could see a small sign further down the ramp for which way to turn at the bottom of the ramp for Red Rocks.

Once in Golden, signage was excellent for the various sites and locations.

Then I drove the Lariat Loop. Here again, signage was inadequate and odd. There were places where it was a straight-away with no upcoming turns, and there would be a sign for Lariat Loop straight ahead. Then you would get to a t-intersection or the junction of two highways (for example), and no signage as to whether to turn right or left or which route to take. Again, to me this seems odd.

As I understand it, Colorado takes in over $10 billion in a year in tourist dollars. Perhaps just a little more signage would help everyone, including tourists.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,192,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, at the risk of getting out posters very upset again, I was back up in Golden area again yesterday, and I want to clarify my complaint.

In regard to poor signage, I particularly tried to note signage along route C-470. Again, I find it odd that there are no signs to indicate major communities along the route such as Littleton and Golden, both incorporated communities. On the other hand there was signage for Dinosaur Ridge, but none as to where to exit for Red Rocks Park & Amphitheater...although once you passed the exit, you could see a small sign further down the ramp for which way to turn at the bottom of the ramp for Red Rocks.

Once in Golden, signage was excellent for the various sites and locations.

Then I drove the Lariat Loop. Here again, signage was inadequate and odd. There were places where it was a straight-away with no upcoming turns, and there would be a sign for Lariat Loop straight ahead. Then you would get to a t-intersection or the junction of two highways (for example), and no signage as to whether to turn right or left or which route to take. Again, to me this seems odd.

As I understand it, Colorado takes in over $10 billion in a year in tourist dollars. Perhaps just a little more signage would help everyone, including tourists.
OK, I still think you want to make the signs too complicated. But you would probably like the highways signs here in California. They are somewhat similar to what you suggest. Let me ask you this. Here is an example of an exit sign near where I live. Does this look like a good sign to you?

El Camino Real
North Hwy 82 - Mountain View 1/4 mile
South Hwy 82 - Sunnyvale =>

Pretty clear meaning, right? First it has the street name. Second it has the highway number, directions north and south. And the names of the two closest incorporated cities. All good, right?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Does this look like a good sign to you?

El Camino Real
North Hwy 82 - Mountain View 1/4 mile
South Hwy 82 - Sunnyvale =>

Pretty clear meaning, right? First it has the street name. Second it has the highway number, directions north and south. And the names of the two closest incorporated cities. All good, right?
I don't know, because I don't know anything about Mountain View or Sunnyvale.

But the purpose of highway road signs ought to be to give those who don't know where they're going some basic direction. Most of the locals probably don't need the signs.

I would think significant incorporated communities along the highway ought to be recognized, as well as major places of interest.

As I mentioned previously, the Colorado DOT produces the official Colorado Highway map. They list exit numbers on the map. But they don't put any exit numbers on the highway signs on C-470. Somehow, that just doesn't make sense to me. They put exit numbers on I-25.

I know I sound like a complainer to you, but when I stopped at one of sights along the Lariat Loop, the docent asked if I had any trouble finding the place. I mentioned the signage issue, and she said that is a frequent complaint they hear. So it's not just me.

I'm not angry about it. I love living here and, overall, I think the highway system is quite good.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:00 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,192,680 times
Quote:
I don't know, because I don't know anything about Mountain View or Sunnyvale.
I was hoping you were going to play. My point was going to be, that some parts of Mountain View are on the Sunnyvale side of the freeway. So some people have to use the Sunnyvale exit to go to a place in Mountain View. And ignore the Mountain View exit, even though that where they are going.

Quote:
As I mentioned previously, the Colorado DOT produces the official Colorado Highway map. They list exit numbers on the map. But they don't put any exit numbers on the highway signs on C-470. Somehow, that just doesn't make sense to me. They put exit numbers on I-25.
You have a very interesting map, if it shows exit numbers on C-470. Because to the best of my knowledge, Colorado like most states only puts exit numbers on interstates. Not state highways.

Quote:
I know I sound like a complainer to you, but when I stopped at one of sights along the Lariat Loop, the docent asked if I had any trouble finding the place. I mentioned the signage issue, and she said that is a frequent complaint they hear. So it's not just me.

I'm not angry about it. I love living here and, overall, I think the highway system is quite good.
I think C-470 is really pretty simple. Each exit is signed with the road it exits at. 6th Avenue, I-70, Alameda Parkway, Morrision Rd., US-285, etc. So if you know what read you want to travel on, you'll be able to find your way. If you don't know the name of the road you plan to travel on, signs probably wont help you anyway. IMHO.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

I was hoping you were going to play...

You have a very interesting map, if it shows exit numbers on C-470. Because to the best of my knowledge, Colorado like most states only puts exit numbers on interstates. Not state highways.

I think C-470 is really pretty simple. Each exit is signed with the road it exits at. 6th Avenue, I-70, Alameda Parkway, Morrision Rd., US-285, etc. So if you know what read you want to travel on, you'll be able to find your way. If you don't know the name of the road you plan to travel on, signs probably wont help you anyway. IMHO.
Well, I'm just trying to make suggestions for a state that is very interested in attracting tourism dollars...I'm not really trying to "play".

The map I have is the DOT/Colo Tourism Office map. To be perfectly honest, having just looked at the map again, I was wrong. I was thinking of the highways that form the loop around Denver as being part of 270, and of course, they're not. And so, there are no exit numbers on the 270 portions. My mistake, I apologize for the error. So I'll revise my suggestion...why not have exit numbers?

I'm sorry that I've gotten you so upset about having exit numbers on expressways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado