Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2007 View Post
I do believe that the political climate is dividing everybody. It seems if you aren't on a particular "team" that you are the enemy. People think they have you all figured out just because of your party affiliation. I don't know what happened to simple ettiquette (sp?) of not talking politics or religion at a party, especially one where not everyone knows each other.
What's worse, if your politics doesn't fit neatly in the same box as someone else, you're often equally ostracized for not "playing ball." The notion that there might be a "third way" or that you might lean right on one issue and left on another is heresy.

Quote:
Oh well....I guess time will tell. I do see that no one answered my question "Are there any progressive liberals in Trinidad" or perhaps I got my answer....NO! LOL
I don't know Trinidad but it seems odd in Colorado where I tend to find a lot more independent thinkers than other places I've lived (Arizona, California, Kansas.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,832 times
Isn't Trinidad where they do the "operations?"

My dearly departed Granddaddy's millionare Texas friend who resides in LaVeta says most of the 'Texans' there made their career in Texas but are from somewhere else originally. Most native Texans, like my mom, can't bring themselves to leave their beloved Texas. I even have some relatives in OKC that are moving back to Dallas after spending 40 years there. This notwithstanding, I would have thought Trinidad would be pretty liberal because of the 'hospital'.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
If registration is any guide, Trinidad, and most of southern Colorado, is majority Democrat. Now, Democrat does not equal liberal, as I'm sure you know, but I'm sure if you mingle more you'll find your group.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 PM

91 posts, read 245,318 times
Democrat definately doesn't equal liberal. To be fair I suppose that is part of the problem. Debbie you mentioned "a San Francisco hippy from the 60's"...well I'm just a "Boulder hippy from the 90's"...it's different but the same. I suppose that is "weird" to some and endearing to others. I knew that I didn't exactly fit in but did not realize I stuck out like a sore thumb Also to be fair my strange encounters have been with out of state transplants. Most transplants in this area seem to be from Texas and Oklahoma. The people that I have met that were born and raised in the Trinidad area are truely some of the nicest people that I have ever encountered.

I was feeling a little homesick when this incident happened. I vented. I feel better. Life is good.Time to move on. I'm sure in time we will find our "group" of friends. Thanks everyone!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,870 times
Quote:
Democrat definately doesn't equal liberal. To be fair I suppose that is part of the problem. Debbie you mentioned "a San Francisco hippy from the 60's"...well I'm just a "Boulder hippy from the 90's"...it's different but the same. I suppose that is "weird" to some and endearing to others. I knew that I didn't exactly fit in but did not realize I stuck out like a sore thumb Also to be fair my strange encounters have been with out of state transplants. Most transplants in this area seem to be from Texas and Oklahoma. The people that I have met that were born and raised in the Trinidad area are truely some of the nicest people that I have ever encountered.

I was feeling a little homesick when this incident happened. I vented. I feel better. Life is good.Time to move on. I'm sure in time we will find our "group" of friends. Thanks everyone!

I am so sorry for saying San Francisco Hippie you see back in the late 60s I was a San Francisco Hippie. When I married my husband's job had us moving all of the place so I changed style some but that "San Francisco Hippie" is still buried somewhere deep. Now I tend to go conservative in my old age but I have friends and family that are both. My best girlfriend in California is a progressive and I love her dearly but we do have some interesting and lively discussion at time.

I am very sorry that jerk treated you that way. I live in a very Blue/Liberal area of Eastern Oklahoma. Really all my friends are of a different party and no one treats me badly nor do I thinks of them differently other that voting records.

I still am looking at a few different lots mid September. One in Santa Fe Ranch and the other in Trinidad Lake subdivision. I like the idea of the 35 ares because I will be selling a cattle ranch and am use to a bit of land surrounding me. I thank you for your time in giving me information on Trinidad in the past and am happy to hear that the locals are great.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Following this thread, I have to ask. I'm a real, live, 60's Boulder Hippie. Should I think about moving to Trinidad for retirement?

I've lived in and about Boulder and metro Denver for most of my life, with time off for school and the like, and travelled wordwide. I wonder where's next, knowing I have no great desire to leave Colorado. It starts to sound like Trinidad and environs might be interesting.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
It's always dangerous to generalize but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Hispanics probably account for a lot of those Democrats in the Southeasern part of the state including Trinidad while the Republicans are largely local Anglos supplemented by transplants from red states. However, these hispanic Trinidad Democrats aren't the same as the Democrats in Boulder, particularly on social issues. So Suzco don't expect some Boulder style retirement refuge in Trinidad.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's always dangerous to generalize but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Hispanics probably account for a lot of those Democrats in the Southeasern part of the state including Trinidad while the Republicans are largely local Anglos supplemented by transplants from red states. However, these hispanic Trinidad Democrats aren't the same as the Democrats in Boulder, particularly on social issues. So Suzco don't expect some Boulder style retirement refuge in Trinidad.
I would have to second that motion. Lots of nortenos are registered as democrat when in fact they are conservative on issues such as abortions or affection preferences. A lot here run on the democratic ticket for political office because of the saturation even though they are conservative.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Cava, I must ask. Do you think, when I asked that question, that you should make any assumptions about what I might be looking for in retirement? I'm Colorado born, well travelled.

If I were looking for what you might call Boulder style retirement, why would I ask the question, given that I live in Boulder? I just wouldn't leave. My friends, family; we talk a lot about it. We think, and talk about about, how places, and people, change over time.

I'm making conversation, talking with people. What assumptions are you making, warning that I shouldn't expect whatever you think is a "Boulder retirement"?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
If I were looking for what you might call Boulder style retirement, why would I ask the question, given that I live in Boulder?
Cost of living in retirement was my assumption as to why you were asking. Boulder is expensive, Trinidad less so. So, now I'm curious: why did you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado