U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:18 AM

91 posts, read 222,394 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Trinidad because of his job. We are extremely liberal but will befriend anyone with different beliefs. Well....while living here we are finding that no one wants to befriend us. We were invited to a neighborhood party. We realized that we were different but that didn't bother us. It bothered them. Five minutes after coming to the party a man turned to us and said " I bet you voted for Obama" We laughed and said yes. You could have heard a pin drop. From there we had the venom of the extreme right side thrown in our faces and no one there tried to stop it. I told him that I am not the face of the entire left wing and to quit attacking me. It didn't stop. Needless to say we got out of there feeling quite shell shocked and now knowing that our neighbors hate us for their IDEA of who we are not because we did anything. (None of our neighbors were from around here. Texas, Oklahoma, and Pa ) I've never had a problem making friends or being friendly with neighbors that were different from me. We are here for awhile and it would be great to find some friends. Any other liberals down here in Trinidad looking for friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:38 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,080,549 times
If you haven't read it yet, pick up a copy of "The Big Sort" by Bill Bishop. He explains how political polarization is now becoming much more geographical as folks are moving more now to places where others share their beliefs. One funny observation he made was that conservatives have neater garages so if you drive around looking for neighborhoods with lots of messy garages, that tends to be where you'll find more liberals (assuming they leave the doors open of course).

Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,617,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you haven't read it yet, pick up a copy of "The Big Sort" by Bill Bishop. He explains how political polarization is now becoming much more geographical as folks are moving more now to places where others share their beliefs. One funny observation he made was that conservatives have neater garages so if you drive around looking for neighborhoods with lots of messy garages, that tends to be where you'll find more liberals (assuming they leave the doors open of course).
Now that is cute!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 AM

Other than politics, how do you like Trinidad? I take it you are in town. Other than the poltics you mentioned, it has to be friendly, I sure can't image block parties in my area.

Another question, how could they tell you are of a different party. I have friends in both parties and we all seem similar.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM

I just went to the Trinidad site which they have given out 2010 stats for. Right now there is 52.68 registered Democrats and 45.64 registered Republicans.

What kind of city are you looking for, that looks like a very good mix of both.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM

Yes...I thought that as well when I saw the stats when we moved here. It is not what I am experiencing. We have a landowners association. There was a meeting on our community water system. At that meeting it was announced that a homeowner was having a happy hour and we were all invited. I'm not too sure how he pegged us either. I even asked him. He replied "it is written all over your face" My reply was "Why because I say hello to you when I see you drive by?)" and he said "YES!". .....( I am an artist. I suppose I have a certain style to me but I don't dress over the top or loud.) We didn't engage in the "conversation" if you could call it that. He even asked my husband how he was staying so calm because if someone was in his face like that he wouldn't hold his tongue. My husband's reply was "I see that you are an extremnist and I am not going to change your mind so why try" .....I have never in my life experienced such a scene!!.......You asked what kind of city I am looking for. I'm not looking...can't. My husband has too good of a job and we aren't going anywhere for awhile. I have to make the best of it. We already know where we want to be but like I said it will be later on down the road. I have such a great life and friends all over CO that we visit or ones that come visit us. I am a social person so not having friends close by is hard for me. I was feeling a little hopeless on my situation so I thought why not put it out there on this site. Perhaps there were others in my same situation

Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 AM

I've met artist in the Trinidad area. I am not, I would like to retire in Trinidad. It is possible that you just met a weird group and the rest are not that way. unless you were dressing like someone out of the 60s in San Francisco I can't imagine what was written on your face. I will say times are bad right now. I've never seen politics like they are now. I've lost or been on the wrong side of how races have been won and I get over it in a day or two but right now it is very decisive how things are. Maybe it will change.

On another subject tell us about the water rights. I am looking at the 35 acrea type parcels around Trinidad.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,279,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco2007 View Post
Yes...I thought that as well when I saw the stats when we moved here. It is not what I am experiencing. We have a landowners association. There was a meeting on our community water system. At that meeting it was announced that a homeowner was having a happy hour and we were all invited. I'm not too sure how he pegged us either. I even asked him. He replied "it is written all over your face" My reply was "Why because I say hello to you when I see you drive by?)" and he said "YES!". .....( I am an artist. I suppose I have a certain style to me but I don't dress over the top or loud.) We didn't engage in the "conversation" if you could call it that. He even asked my husband how he was staying so calm because if someone was in his face like that he wouldn't hold his tongue. My husband's reply was "I see that you are an extremnist and I am not going to change your mind so why try" .....I have never in my life experienced such a scene!!.......You asked what kind of city I am looking for. I'm not looking...can't. My husband has too good of a job and we aren't going anywhere for awhile. I have to make the best of it. We already know where we want to be but like I said it will be later on down the road. I have such a great life and friends all over CO that we visit or ones that come visit us. I am a social person so not having friends close by is hard for me. I was feeling a little hopeless on my situation so I thought why not put it out there on this site. Perhaps there were others in my same situation
That's terrible that you were treated that way! Please don't let that redneck butthead tarnish your view of Colorado!

I'm an left winger myself living in a VERY conservative small town up the interstate from where you are (Canon City) but I have NEVER experienced that type of venom in person - only by annonymous posters on chatrooms forums like this one!

Most of my friends here are conservative politically and religiously but we all respect each other and have enough common ground to have strong friendships despite our differences. Plus, there is a sizable artists community here so I am saved by that and people here have learned to live together in peace & mutual respect, with a few glaring exceptions (like the dude who lives at Field & Central with the ten commandments out front and nasty, racist anti-Obama signs)

anywho... my advice would be to seek out the people whom you have things in common with (people with kids? dog park folks? art groups?)
and avoid the others!

best of luck to you!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Thank You Sesame Kid!

It hasn't changed my view of Colorado at all. I have lived here since 1993. I was living outside of Boulder for 14 years. As you can imagine this part of Colorado is quite a change. By the way I am quite familiar with Canon City and I know exactly the house you are speaking of. I suppose what is most scary to me is that type of hatred behind those views.

I do believe that the political climate is dividing everybody. It seems if you aren't on a particular "team" that you are the enemy. People think they have you all figured out just because of your party affiliation. I don't know what happened to simple ettiquette (sp?) of not talking politics or religion at a party, especially one where not everyone knows each other.

Oh well....I guess time will tell. I do see that no one answered my question "Are there any progressive liberals in Trinidad" or perhaps I got my answer....NO! LOL

Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM

Cisco you told me once that you were making friends once you started to use the grocery store in town and that you were working or volunteering in Trinidad. Mayby you found one (or a couple) bad apple in the bunch. There are bad apples on both side of the aisle. Having friends in both parties I have seen hatred or what you have experienced; we're all doing fine so I am hoping you just had a bad water board meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado