U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
Hi there! My husband has taken a new job in Glenwood Springs and we are to move from Michigan in January. We have a 2 1/2 yr old boy and also 2 teenagers that will visit! Need a nice family area w/activities and some in town activities hopefully w/some charm and culture, as well as some mommy and toddler activities. Subdivisions are good w/other families around...where should we go?? also need a local Catholic parrish! Any advice would be great, it is so difficult to get the big picture from the web! thanks much! Teri and Steve from Michigan

I have moved around the US quite a bit as it relates to my job, and I discover something each and every time I wish that I had researched before I moved to that area. I do not know if this is something that you would be concerned about, but I would definately check out the demographics of that area and make sure you are ok with everything.

I had no choice but to send my children to private school out there because of a huge problem that area has. The level of education in the public school system in the Glenwood Springs area is horible. I would recomend researching this as well.

I wish you the best of luck with your move though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 02:16 PM

56 posts, read 152,630 times
Aspen has awesome public schools & I know there are kids who commute to Aspen from GS. I have family who attends school in Aspen. Maybe that's why the kids commute.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,342 times
Default Relocation Packet

I am looking at moving to Glenwood Springs also. I noticed Coltoncity mentioned a relocation packet. Who do I contact to obtain one?

Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 AM

377 posts, read 1,402,662 times
I believe I got it through the Chamber of Commerce and I am sure almost every place charges for them. BUT ... this was a wonderful relocation packet. (Haha reading that last sentence I realize how old I am!)
From what I understand Rifle which is an area I was interested in is much more expensive now because there are people from gas companies moving there. I guess looking to drill. So what exactly happens to an area when they do that? They just put in a new High School between Silt and New Castle. Parachute and Battlement Mesa is more affordable by far and if commuting to GS I woulndt hesitate but to Aspen would b e different. 50 more miles of traffic. Battlement Mesa (970 285 9050) doesnt have a council but instead has a home owners association that meets. They have bumper stickers, 'Ask me about Battlement Mesa'. Parachute (970 285 0292) is supposed to be a nice little town too though and you might try there. Its perfect distance to GJunction and Utah which is a very short drive to everything else. You reach this main artery in Utah and head South very quickly. The rest of the area seems tooooo blocked in. Carbondale is the keep up with the Jones' place from what I am told. I was once told Dotsero but not sure about it ... Vail direction and cliffy drive. HTH and if anyone has something to add please do. What do the kids doing there for fun? OH ya the thing I was told about GS real estate! If they are the victorian houses downtown and about 250,000 or so the foundation probably is going and many are sliding into the river. Heads up!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 PM

6 posts, read 16,159 times
The "new" WalMart is in Rifle. The one in Glenwood Springs is very small and not very clean.

Denver is, thankfully, much further than one hour away 2.5-3 hours.

Dotsero is just down I70 heading east from Glenwood about 25 minutes and no cliffs lol. It is FLAT except for the mountains surrounding it. You drive thorugh the gorgeous Glenwood Canyon, but there is no danger of driving off a cliff... There is not very much there at all. Some trailers and small houses and that's about it.

Carbondale is not what I would call "keeping up with the Jones'". Need to watch the Tom Brokaw special before considering moving here. It is expensive, not a LOT of jobs, and the illegal immigrant situation is rapidly growing out of complete control.

If you think we do not have hot weather, guess again. During July typically, there are weeks of over 100 degrees. Cooler in the shade yes, but if you don't have A/c, be prepared lol.

It gets cold during winter, not as cold as I would like! Some people just cannot handle months of 20 or lower every day.

There is a lot to consider before moving here. Too many do and then find things out they didn't bargain for, then they sit and complain

The speed limit through the majority of Glenwood Springs is 25 mph. A trip from one end of Glenwood to Aspen is not just 30 minutes, especially if you are driving upvalley(towards Aspen) or downvalley during peak driving hours (morning and afternoon "rush hour"). It may be just 40 miles, but the speed limit is not all 60+ mph, there are many miles that are 25, 35, 45, and during the winter, you can sometimes double that. Small mountain roads with lots of snow= SLOW driving. Those that don't get into accidents. (I wish people would obey the speed limit!)

This area is growing, I personally wish it wasn't. I like the small town feel and lifestyle and too many move here bringing their cellphone driving habits and get outta my way attitude which really sucks. Then they complain about no shopping available (We do NOT have malls! GWS Mall consists of KMart and JC Penny, a few cheapy clothing stores and a Staples, the "new" mall is Target, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond and a handful of small stores), not much night life (not as much as big cities anyway, I grew up in SF so I know city life) and the weather! It offends me when people who live here do nothing but complain. MOVE somewhere else then lol.

Last edited by MountainQueen; 03-08-2007 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,596,293 times
glad you pointed out that Denver is well over an hour away!! 3 hours. But then that can add up Don't travel into Denver on a sunday!! You'll be sitting for up to an hour at the tunnel.
Grand Junction is an hour west and your biggest town. Mall, lg Hospital etc....
Rifle and Paracute are small towns...have you been there?
Battlement Mesa... Is a development, golf couse and lots of retirees. Last I knew there wasn't even a grocery store up there. They had to come into Parachute for everything.

I love Glenwood. Rafting through the canyon it so much fun. ACK the speed limit through the canyon and entering Gleenwood...they LOVE to give out those tickets...SLOW DOWN!!

Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 PM

8,186 posts, read 21,430,088 times
I hope your husband's new job is paying close to 6 figures if you're planning on living in or around Glenwood Springs and buying a home there.

It's a very expensive area to live in, and housing/utiliies are costly.

GS is a tourist/resort area, and much of the pricing is targeted to that. Even dumpy old small motels (old "car courts") charge nightly fees which would be pricey in a big city 4-star hotel. "High" season runs summer, fall, and winter through because of beautiful mountains around, hunting season, and winter sports activity.

It's a friendly kind of town where a known "local" will get discounts at restaurants and will get accomodated in the "private -- no parking, tow away" zones posted at a lot of facilities.

Your major shopping will be to go to Grand Junction or Denver. Clear road driving time to Denver, off-peak traffic hours, is about 3.5 hours. In the winter, it can be much much longer and problematic with heavy storms and lots of snowfall. It's actually easier to drive when it's snowpacked and not "black ice", which can happen with a strong sunny day on I70 in many areas. The toughest part of the road is Glenwood Canyon, but it's pretty tame these days with the 4-lane interstate compared to the old 2-lane highway.

There are times where localized storm conditions will shut the road down. I've driven this many times, and don't know of any "cliffs" on I70 unless they imported them in sometime in the last few weeks.

The closer you get upvalley to Aspen, the more expensive housing will become, even a "tear-down" in Aspen is running beween $1-2 millon. The centi-millionaires have forced out the mere multi-millionaires in the area. To some extent, the centi-millionaires are being forced out by much wealthier people. There is a great deal of "competition" between the folks to flash all of their wealth in Aspen ... it's a place to be seen and admired.

You'll see more million $+ high dollar collectable cars in a summer day in Aspen than Palm Beach or Naples or Beverly Hills ... just tooling around for a quick trip to the market or to show off .... LOOK AT ME! no seriously, LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! as they drive casually around like it's no big deal. I've seen more MB 300SL's and AC Cobra's and Ferrari's and Lambo's and MB600's and RollsRoyces/Bentleys and so on there in a day then you'll see at a BarretJackson auction .....

I had a friend who used to teach in the Aspen HS, for many years. His family had been there since the mining days and were well established, owned multiple homes, etc. He left after trying to teach so many transient families kids ... you know, the affluent ones who take time off during the school year to visit family for a month in Europe or South America. Or, (good as the skiing is in Aspen) need to take a family ski vacation in some high dollar Swiss or Italian ski resort. That's how strong the snobbery and one-upmanship is there ... money simply doesn't have any meaning in the conventional sense there.

The whole aura spills over to the rest of the valley ... and the little "towns" between Glenwood and Aspen have all been "discovered" years ago as less costly alternatives to Aspen. But even the trailer parks along the highway leading to Aspen are expensive.

The GS housing problem has been compounded because the energy boom/extractive industries in the region have driven up the prices on the far outlying towns as more workers are brought in for those businesses. Most of those lower cost "bedroom" communities are in areas that are nowhere near as picturesque or as desirable a place to live ... harsh terrain, viscious micro-clmates, stark vistas .... as the more expensive locations in the mountains.

I don't mean to discourage you about GS, but the bigger benefit of living there is the close access ... right off your doorstep ... to a multitude of spectacular outdoor activities for most of the year.

Good luck with your relocation.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM

10,010 posts, read 11,930,397 times
Default Glenwood springs area info

My husband just accepted a job in Aspen. that being said I know we cant live in Aspen. How do I go about finding housing ( rentals) in the area. I cannot find much info about it online.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,117 times
Cool glenwood springs area...

my husband has the possiblity of working in colorado in an electrician field. we still dont know the wage yet but we know that the location is in the Glenwood Springs area. from our research we found out that this area is expensive. can anyone tell me what the ideal income per month should be to be able to live decently in this area? (after taxes)

- thank you

Old 05-03-2007, 08:26 PM

7,995 posts, read 15,575,362 times
Glenwood Springs is only reasonably priced if you compare it with Aspen. It used to be be that people who worked in Aspen could afford to live in Glenwood. Now, more and more of those people are having to live in Silt, Rifle, or Parachute. $300K won't buy you much in Glenwood. As for wages, they're not that great, either. Gas is outrageous there. In short, the "affordability index" stinks, just like it does in most all of "resort" Colorado.

I've posted this so many times that I know people who regularly read this board get sick of it, but it's true: If you actually are going to have to depend on wages or local income for your living and you're not bringing a pot of money with you, resort Colorado really isn't an affordable place to live. But, there is always someone who thinks that they can do it, even after the last hundred who tried to make it couldn't make a living after they moved there and wound up leaving. It's called the "Paradise Syndrome," and I watched it for about 30 years in Colorado. I'd look someplace besides Glenwood . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado