U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,277 times

Advertisements

thank you jazzlover for your post....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,991,970 times
My husband and I just moved to New Castle. He makes 90000 a year in the construction field (he drives to Aspen). I dont work now and we are doing great here with our 3 kids. Honestly our bills didnt go up much from AZ, in fact our car insurance went down. Rent went up 400 a month and our utilities are cheaper surprisingly!! Love it here.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 12,277 times
Thank you,Nea1 for your response...give us some hope...Can someone give us some information regarding high schools in this area>
thanks,........samaria

Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 20,919 times
Uhhh there is no "gridlock" here, not sure where you heard that...

As far as crime, it is on the rise. Read the Post Independent to get that info...(Perhaps compared to Denver or other large cities the crime is lower, but things like schools closing because of racial threats written on portapotties is happening more often)

Affordbale housing... nope. Unless you consider a trailer, maybe. The majority of homes here start at 350k (small and not very nice) and go up QUICKLY. There really is not much available(unless you are ok with townhomes/condos) under 500K.

And...coltoncity, why would you think you could not get to Aspen "because of the roads".. Do you think we just close up shop come winter? LOL. I wish

GWS does NOT have a new WalMart. It is small and dirty. Rifle has the new WalMart.

This area is not somewhere to just try out. It is EXPENSIVE and very very little available housing. PLEASE read our local papers before just showing up

postindependent.com
aspentimes.com

Old 05-16-2007, 03:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Bluntly, I don't like Glenwood. Real estate is overpriced. I used to have to go there frequently on business. To me, it has the feel of a high-priced tourist trap. That's unfortunate--many years ago it was a very nice community. That all changed when I-70 was put right through the middle of it. The area towards Carbondale used to be nice, too. Now, it's just a suburbanized trophy-house ghetto.

Working people are slowly getting forced out of Glenwood, just like they got forced out of Aspen and Basalt starting 20 years ago. More and more "worker bees" are having to live in Silt and Rifle, and make the commute to Aspen or Glenwood.

Many native Coloradans call the strip from Denver to Glenwood "the I-70 sacrifice zone," meaning they think it's too screwed up to save. Maybe they're right . . .

Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM

I live in New Castle just moved here from Chandler AZ. We love it, cant beat the people or the views. Love the small town schools as well. . We are in Castle Valley Ranch and have a 1900 sq.ft home for 364,000.00 with great views near the schools. I did the big home less money before. Hated where we lived, big city high crime crappy schools, too many big box stores, strip malls. I love it here, only two Walmarts and no Home Depot!! I will say I am not used to the low property taxes here in New Castle. Ours a year is 900.00, where as in AZ we paid 300,000 for a 1400 sq.ft home and had 2500 in yearly prop taxes!!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaria View Post
Thank you,Nea1 for your response...give us some hope...Can someone give us some information regarding high schools in this area>
thanks,........samaria
My oldest will be attending Coal Ridge high school outside New Castle, new one. then there is Glenwood Springs high and Rifle high as well. My kids love the small schools. Their last school was 1500 kids. now it is 400!!! We are buying a home in Castle Valley Ranch in new Castle. Great place with great schools.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 97,834 times
Awesome post MoutainQueen!! Although if you want to try something then rent for 6 months or so before you make an expensive mistake.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 AM

404 posts, read 542,427 times
I've been to GWS many times on vacation. Usually stayed there a week. The worst time to be on the road is between 4 and 6 PM. The street is a parking lot from the Red Mountain Inn all the way to Aspen it seemed. It was so frustrating went I accidentally went shopping and got stuck in the traffic. I've always been in "rush hour" traffic went I drove from Aspen to Glenwood Springs. Argh....

It is very bike and pedestrian friendly, (except during rush hour). My favorite place there is Hanging Falls. The first time I saw in like in 1999-2000 it was like a major flood. In 2005, Grizzly Creek was barely flowing, and Hanging Falls was not very impressive. The bike trail through the canyon is cool. In either direction, coming and going it never felt as it I was biking uphill. It was like down hill in both directions. May I was just in a good mood.

I was also lucky to see a brown bear at the Amtrak Station.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 26,992 times
Default Glenwood Springs

My husband and I have been wanting to move to Colorado for a few years now, my husband grew up in Ouray, and only wants to live on the western slope, so I have been looking into several cities out there, I was looking at Glenwood Springs, it looks nice, does any one have any information that might help, and any other suggestions would be nice, we have two small children and want to live somewhere family friendly! Thanks for all your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or