Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 18,232 times

Advertisements

Looking at Glenwood Springs and am having trouble getting some info.Like what are the people like, are they conservitive, liberal, religious, that kind of stuff. Also how are the schools.. Thank you for any info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 11:07 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
Thumbs up I am looking there as well

Hi,

I have gotten the relocation packet and talked for quite awhile with a realtor there. Glenwood Springs sounds wonderful and crime is soooo low. The schools I believe are great. What I was conerned with is the atmosphere you get when moving to a place that has areas of such wealth.

When I asked about that he said there wasnt a real problem with it which sounds logical only when you think that when there is such a huge difference between the money of one group and another there isnt any competition. He said one kid at his daughters HS drove a Hummer. One kid drove a old VW van. He lived in the town between GS and Aspen. I was looking also at Silt and Rifle.

As for trans. it is gridlock at certain times but one woman who worked in Aspen and lived in GS said people drive in from Rifle etc. to GS and catch the public bus. It runs right down into Aspen, is very popular and to her faster then driving.

I was looking at a new homesite in Silt it was on a beautiful little waterway and very affordable. The roads going south I believe its 24 is closed in the winters they said and Grand Junction is a close place that has more places to shop etc.

GS has newer Walmart and a small mall. Very small. It was named one of the top 'walkable cities' in the nation though. Kids can go an hour or so away to CO. State. You can also come in from the eastern side ... I love this best but it is a cliffy drive and I have a teen. BUT its out to Eagle and Vail ... oooo ya!
Im not sure on altitude or temp. but it is definitely a place that needs several extra looks. Ill be going early pring or sooner to check out Durango up to Aspen hopefully. You ever looked into Montrose???

Old 11-08-2006, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 83,050 times
Default Pretty, but is it pricey?

Hi! We stopped in Glenwood Springs by accident, when our Land Rover needed a part replaced. It's a lovely town, and has the best Elk burgers (at Juicy Lucy's steakhouse). However, since it's been a resort for ever so long, it seemed that it might be expensive to live there. We looked into nearby Eagle, which seemed like a beautiful spot, but the prices were way too high!

Is there affordable housing in/around GS? What's Rifle like? We wanted to stop there, but didn't get the chance.

Thanks,

Blue

Old 11-10-2006, 08:09 PM

Im going to take a looong drive in Jan. from Phx. to hopefully Aspen. I dont know if I can get to Aspen though because of the roads leading in at that time. I would like to get an idea of Rifle myself and the distances between. I believe it is a very small town. Here is the link to the city w/ pics! ...
http://www.city-data.com/city/Rifle-Colorado.html
I cant wait to see it. Maybe fly into Denver and out of Phx not sure.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 42,504 times
Default HELP relocating to Glenwood Springs area

Hi there! My husband has taken a new job in Glenwood Springs and we are to move from Michigan in January. We have a 2 1/2 yr old boy and also 2 teenagers that will visit! Need a nice family area w/activities and some in town activities hopefully w/some charm and culture, as well as some mommy and toddler activities. Subdivisions are good w/other families around...where should we go?? also need a local Catholic parrish! Any advice would be great, it is so difficult to get the big picture from the web! thanks much! Teri and Steve from Michigan

Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM

I looked into Glenwood Springs and Rifle etc. myself and got a relocation kit. I was given a lot of info on some things especially getting around and the people. From what I gather several communities around are nice but I know Glenwood Springs was voted one of the number 1 walkable communities this yr in the USA. I know that the traffic can be heavy at times going in and out of Aspen. There is a bus that runs from GS to and from Aspens snowmass village that is widely used and I was told seemed quicker then driving. Going to the East toward Vail is comunities but the drive is more mountanous and cliffy, which I didnt want due to the fact my daughter will be turning 16 and icy conditions. But I think would be so very beautiful.

Going west you will find silt and Rifle. I found new houses being built in silt very affordable but not and nice a few for 'silt' hills of course. As far as GS they have a small mall and a new walmart ... thats kind of it. Down the road toward Aspen is Carbondale which of course is much more affluent. There is hardly any crime in the area and the schools even public are great. From what I was told about the difference & competition between haves and have nots (I was worried about my daughter trying to keep up) is that basically the people who have money have so much that there really isnt a competition.

The kids mesh well. He was in Carbondale and his daughter at the local High School. One teen drove a brand new Hummer and one kid drove an old VW bus. This may sound bad but as my Mother mentioned, " When one child has that much money there isnt a competition to keep up, it is not an issue. It is impossible and not thought of as much." This made sense.

The road leading up to Aspen is closed in the winter I believe its 25 or something from Crested Butte area. Grand Junction is a place to go shopping and has a lot more, it isnt too far a drive. I noticed a wonderful boarding school that had day school but too far $ wise out of our range. I emailed the school about grants and I think I might hear the roar of laughter still. Haha No Im sure they will get back to me.

I am Catholic as well and looking for a private more expreriential school ... while looking for that it seems there was at least 1 Catholic school around. But, it seems the private schools I find in either area I am looking in only goes to 8th grade. Keeping in mind that the crime is so low and schools so good that people who could choose what ever they wanted seem to go to public school there.

A lot of people live in GS and they seem to really love it. Aspen has many special events going on and if you go to their web site for chamber of commerce click calendar of events. I would think GS would flow into Aspens events but could be wrong.

Mild summers without what I would call nice warm weather is the only thing I am not sure of. You are very close if you look at a map of many wonderful places though as well ... even Denver is a bit over an hour but a world away.
Im going to pull out my relocation packet I stuffed away and look at it. If I find something else Ill let you know and maybe I can scan and send something as well.
If you hear anything about it as well please let me know!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:08 PM

Hi again,

You might want to call 800 277 7800 & get the Homes and Land of the Roaring Fork Valley. Also they have 16 parks,many spas, family fun says 17, bowling, ice skating, biking, hiking, hocky, kyaking and many more sports.

There is Yampah Hot Springs that also is for medicinal purposes. There is GS Center for the Arts, Summer of Jazz Festival, strawbery Days, Fall Arts Festival, Summer of Jazz, Symphony in the Vally and a Community Theater.

I see Oktober fest, many different tours that are unique and fun, A Community Christmas, Sunlight Mountain Ski Spree, and 4 more theater comapnies.

You might be able to find the documentary on immigration by Tom Brokaw that was in the fall. Some was taken in the Roaring Fork Valley discussing witMark Gould (Gould Construction) about complexities of the state/national immigration issues. The paper I have says Growth in Latino Population Expected. It is in GS Camber Quarterly.

Eagle county residents are more seasonal and Garfield county is more permanent residents. Roaring Fork growing slower. GS is the highest population but still small.

St Stevens Catholic Church is in GS which is also a school k-8. Also Columbine Christian School. One thing that struck me is the amount of organizations there is to join.

website for you is glenwoodchamber.com

Hope this helps.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 42,504 times
wow, thanks so much for the wealth of info! Seems like we have many nice options. I have discovered a town called Battlement Mesa, just west of GS toward Grand Junction. If you know anything about this town please let me know...seems up and coming?? Really appreciate your info about the schools, very pleased to hear public option is good if needed. Appreciate also your insight into the differentiation of classes. One of my teenage sons attends a very elite Catholic school here in Michigan where we face the same situation. What I have learned though is that the kids really don't care about the money, or lack thereof, it seems to be only the parents that notice the difference. That's the nice thing about children, they keep things in perspective most of the time. We all could learn from them, right?! :-) Thanks again for the info....blessings!!

Old 12-10-2006, 05:56 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
I used to live in Grand Junction and my job used to take me up to the Glenwood area a lot. I used to sell windows and doors and had a builder up there so I got a lot of travel in the Glenwood/Carbondale area and such.

There are some great housing opportunites on the southeast end of Glenwood, just on the north side of I-70. Very secure and very nice complete with soccer fields and the schools were pretty good from what I understand.

I miss going to Glenwood. I used to stay there over night before I moved to Grand Junction way back when and it's a nice community.

If you go towards Aspen there are some nice communities up there as well - around the Carbondale area. Good homes, good schools and such.

Battlement Mesa is nice but that's quite the commute to Glenwood on a daily basis. I know that some people that work in Aspen commute from there but that's a heck of a commute. If you can afford it stay in the area. Like I said the schools are good and the place is a nice place to raise a family.

I miss my builder and his clients. I had a grand time every time I drove up from Grand Junction to meet them and help them with their homes. Not a person up there was of wrong character when I was selling windows and doors.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:24 AM

You know what never hear about is the night life ... I would hear something about that. As far as the Battlement Mesa I have heard something about it I need to get my info out again ... I was thinking Rifle myself. I was also considering a bit further away at Steambpat Springs. Just cant decide which I want. Both have good schools I must be honest though I am still a bit worried about fitting in in a place near Aspen. I am so laid back. Also with a teen daughter it is just a bot harder with the money/clothes/keeping up thing. I wish I knew more about the area before making the jump. It is more affordable then much of Steamboat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado