Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 PM

11 posts, read 22,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think you've been watching too much TV.

Colorado does have open carry laws, but most police will tell you to kindly put it away and get a concealed permit.
actually, the only news i get is a few minutes per week(at most) on certain political affairs. i don't even have TV connected. I have most of my concern from reading actual laws in CO. Sorry, but not having child safety locks on guns and allowing guns to be in possession of kids under 21 is just reckless. Also, the fact that anybody coming from another state does NOT have to get a permit for their gun. A weapon being concealed makes me more nervous then one that is obvious!
I do completely understand that people want to protect themselves or their livestock from animals or because they actaully use them for food, etc. And if i lived outside of an urban area i would be a bit concerned about my security as well. It seems u are trying to say that not everyone with a gun in CO is trying to protect themselves from their neighbor, etc. It's more of real threats where it is needed, perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 22,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Bellalove3 wrote:
i am concerned about the VERY relaxed gun laws, or rather, lack there of in CO
Would you elaborate on this? I think your concept of guns in Colorado is not based on fact. I've lived in Colorado for 5 years and I've seen very few guns. If you ever want to see alot of guns, take a trip to Vermont or Pennsylvania during deer hunting season.

here is a site with gun laws in Colorado. www.coloradoceasefire.org/Col-state.htm

their are really basic things that could be made law and help make the world a safer place and track criminals. for example, in Colorado: there is NO requirement for safety locks on firearms, safety locks, or registration. there are NO records kept on file of who bought firearms in the past that has become a criminal and is no longer able to possess a firearm. those are just a few. check out the website. Also, i heard in a online paper how a certain forest or National Park is getting destroyed do to freaks blowing the trees with their shooting. I guess there is a lot of freedom in national forests for people being able to shoot whatever they want. That's a bit alarming considering that any one of us could be enjoying an area of that forest untill a shot gets fired and it doesn't hit the target......if u catch my drift. It's sad that the state(and many others) doesn't put more restrictions for things like this. kind of belligerent. i know that is probably a small percentage of folk that are that kooky and unconcious I guess if one doesn't see weapons or see much violence around their city/town, it's easy to say that CO is not full of gun crazy folk. It is hard to say how many their are at all in CO, since their is no police record of guns that are sold in the state....I just don't like guns!!! But boulder seems like a much better alternative in soooooo many ways then so. Cal! I will be a single mama soon! Cali is pricey!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post
actually, the only news i get is a few minutes per week(at most) on certain political affairs. i don't even have TV connected. I have most of my concern from reading actual laws in CO. Sorry, but not having child safety locks on guns and allowing guns to be in possession of kids under 21 is just reckless. Also, the fact that anybody coming from another state does NOT have to get a permit for their gun. A weapon being concealed makes me more nervous then one that is obvious!
I do completely understand that people want to protect themselves or their livestock from animals or because they actaully use them for food, etc. And if i lived outside of an urban area i would be a bit concerned about my security as well. It seems u are trying to say that not everyone with a gun in CO is trying to protect themselves from their neighbor, etc. It's more of real threats where it is needed, perhaps.
Statistically the places in the USA with the most restrictive gun laws, have more crime. When bad guys are going to break into a home, a community that has a high percentage of firearms isn't going to give them great odds for success.

I won a national shooting title at 16 and 17 years old, so I don't think guns in the hands of kids is reckless if they are trained in their use and especially safety.

I would be more worried about car accidents which thanks to the weather, there are plenty of those.

Many states don't require permits on certain firearms.

Honestly I would worry about other things, it's not like ghetto cities like Detroit and New Orleans. I don't know how you could worry about concealed weapons as you don't know they are there, they are not out in your face posing an imminent danger.

Denver is like any area, there is crime and there are bad people out there, basic common sense, situation awareness and safety measures at your home, go a long way towards avoiding trouble. That would apply to any place you go.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
here is a site with gun laws in Colorado. Colorado Gun Laws

their are really basic things that could be made law and help make the world a safer place and track criminals. for example, in Colorado: there is NO requirement for safety locks on firearms, safety locks, or registration. there are NO records kept on file of who bought firearms in the past that has become a criminal and is no longer able to possess a firearm. those are just a few. check out the website. Also, i heard in a online paper how a certain forest or National Park is getting destroyed do to freaks blowing the trees with their shooting. I guess there is a lot of freedom in national forests for people being able to shoot whatever they want. That's a bit alarming considering that any one of us could be enjoying an area of that forest untill a shot gets fired and it doesn't hit the target......if u catch my drift. It's sad that the state(and many others) doesn't put more restrictions for things like this. kind of belligerent. i know that is probably a small percentage of folk that are that kooky and unconcious I guess if one doesn't see weapons or see much violence around their city/town, it's easy to say that CO is not full of gun crazy folk. It is hard to say how many their are at all in CO, since their is no police record of guns that are sold in the state....I just don't like guns!!! But boulder seems like a much better alternative in soooooo many ways then so. Cal! I will be a single mama soon! Cali is pricey!
What can I say, don't come to Colorado then if it worries you that much. My 4 generations of family has had enough of californian liberals trying to move in our state and tell us how to live our lives.

I don't need the state mandating safety locks on guns IN MY HOME. Or other BS.

Sure those guys doing the damage in the national forest should be fined and punished.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Quote:
... Also, i heard in a online paper how a certain forest or National Park is getting destroyed do to freaks blowing the trees with their shooting. I guess there is a lot of freedom in national forests for people being able to shoot whatever they want. That's a bit alarming considering that any one of us could be enjoying an area of that forest untill a shot gets fired and it doesn't hit the target......if u catch my drift. It's sad that the state(and many others) doesn't put more restrictions for things like this. kind of belligerent. i know that is probably a small percentage of folk that are that kooky and unconcious I guess if one doesn't see weapons or see much violence around their city/town, it's easy to say that CO is not full of gun crazy folk. It is hard to say how many their are at all in CO, since their is no police record of guns that are sold in the state....I just don't like guns!!! But boulder seems like a much better alternative in soooooo many ways then so. Cal! I will be a single mama soon! Cali is pricey!
Say WHAT? Jeez, now I've heard everything. I have camped in just about every National Forest in Colorado as well as on a lot of BLM land, and I have NEVER encountered people shooting up trees or whatever, nor have I ever seen evidence of such actions. People do go out in hunting season to get their deer or elk, but the vast majority of big and small game hunters follow the safety rules and are not interested in shooting trees.

And no one is allowed to "shoot whatever they want" on government land. I have a friend who accidently shot a deer when his license was for elk, and he had to pay a stiff fine plus do community service. He didn't get to take the venison home either.

If you are expecting Colorado to be filled with belligerent, crazy people waving guns around while local enforcement officers just stand around and watch, you are going to be severely disappointed.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but even Boulder has its share of outdoors-men and hunters. I even know a couple of them personally. Oh, and biology graduate students at CU go out to nearby forests and take core samples of the trees so they can study forest ecology. Nothing is sacred in Boulder or anywhere else in Colorado.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
The online paper Bellalove3 is referring to is Out There Colorado.com.

In fact there is a thread here on the Colorado forum that deals with this. Sadly, it has slipped to page 2 (5th line from the bottom) and the thread, which was posted by Proveick, is "What's wrong with these people?"

It's a sizable story with the photo at the top credited to Dave Philips of The Gazette. The Gazette is the Colorado Springs daily paper. I don't know if the story was reported in the Gazette or not.

Surprisingly the thread only has one response.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Say WHAT? Jeez, now I've heard everything. I have camped in just about every National Forest in Colorado as well as on a lot of BLM land, and I have NEVER encountered people shooting up trees or whatever, nor have I ever seen evidence of such actions. People do go out in hunting season to get their deer or elk, but the vast majority of big and small game hunters follow the safety rules and are not interested in shooting trees.
I know what she is referring to, there was an article recently, might have been in the Denver Post, about jackasses going out to this one stretch of national forest land and shooting up trees with all sorts of weaponry.

Despite that article I have never encountered anything like that in Colorado and Colorado has so much wilderness and land it's likely you never would.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:28 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I know what she is referring to, there was an article recently, might have been in the Denver Post, about jackasses going out to this one stretch of national forest land and shooting up trees with all sorts of weaponry.

Despite that article I have never encountered anything like that in Colorado and Colorado has so much wilderness and land it's likely you never would.
Here's that article.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Bellalove3 wrote:
their are really basic things that could be made law and help make the world a safer place and track criminals.
The thing about laws is that laws don't stop people from doing what they are already doing, it just turns the now illegal activity into a crime, and makes criminals out of ordinary people. I'm not a gun lover myself even though I am somewhat of a natural marksman. Haven't shot a gun since my Air Force days 40 years ago, when I would routinely pass my annual qualification with a perfect score...60 out of 60.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:29 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Thanks for the link. That Gazette story jogged my memory. My ex-husband worked for the Forest Service for awhile on Pike National Forest. He often complained that it was all about law enforcement and little to do with actual forestry. He hated Pike so much that he transferred to the San Isabel district outside Salida and came home on the weekends.

I lived in Colorado Springs from the ages of 5 to 50. Needless to say, the Forest land bordering on the city changed completely over that time period. I ceased to view the Mount Herman Road or Rampart Range or Cheyenne Canyon, etc., ect. as anything other than city parks - places to be avoided due to crowding and over-use. I even forgot these places were Forest Service! I have often wondered if all the gun play is due to the fact that Colorado Springs is home to Fort Carson and has a significant military population. Maybe those young privates and corporals go out to Old Stage Road to sharpen their shooting skills? Military folk please don't jump all over me - my Dad was career army, and I just wonder what makes the Springs so vulnerable to gun play.

So, I should correct my earlier post to say that National Forest lands directly bordering cities like Colorado Springs do get trashed and people do unlawfully set off their weapons there. They're plenty of nice places within an hour or so of the Springs if you just drive west up highway 24. Or you can go south on I-25, get off at Walsenburg and discover some really pretty areas like La Veta and the Spanish Peaks. Leave the "war zone" to the warriors. Hopefully, there will be more law personnel hired to arrest the gun idiots soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado