U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM

5,158 posts, read 3,925,335 times
My advice of years of driving on ICE in northwest Arkansas and a winter of driving Colorado mountain snow, is slow down. Looks like most everyone here has studded tires for winter and carry a set of tire chains. Slow down, don't slam on the brake and you'll be fine. I've driven my Mustang on ice and snow and it does fine. Here's some winter driving schools here:

Bridgestone Winter Driving School

How To: Drive in the Snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,155,071 times
Wink Physics & location

If you continue driving that pickup in the snow you likely WILL slide off the road at some point.

Tires are important, good all-season or winter tires are mandatory in the snow. Also know that they are not all created equal. Do some homework. With the wrong tires, any vehicle will be a hazard. That said, rear wheel drive is not a good configuration in the snow, nor a safe and happy driver make. Some people do it. Most anything is possible, but the odds are not in your favor, and it will not be much fun at best. It appears that both your Toyota Tacoma and Infinity G35 are both rear wheel drive. Of the two the Infinity should be better, as it has a lower center of gravity. The Tacoma has the disadvantage not only of a higher center of gravity, but also of little weight above the rear driving wheels. Such pickups are one of the worst things you could drive in the snow.

In contrast, one of the best vehicles for winter driving would be any Subaru, as they are not only all all-wheel drive, but also have low centers of gravity. They are cars, handle as such and, all things being equal, any truck will be less able. Then also the consideration that every brand of vehicle just handles differently, they have their quirks, and some just better in winter than others. Also, while some huge 4x4 truck may be able to push through a foot or more of snow, more usually one is driving on plowed roads with but a few inches of snow. In which case a suitable car is better than a truck, unless you intend to plow roads or break trail with it. Academic, as neither of your vehicles is suitable for winter driving.

As for where you might do that, Golden is not really in the mountains, more like right at the edge of the foothills, with a large hill between it and the outer suburbs of Denver. If in Denver, you might get around your limited vehicles as the roads are more usually dry, much flatter, and you might perhaps use chains on days when it has snowed, or just stay home. Anything like Evergreen means elevation, navigating the ups and downs of the commute, and the increased snowfall of the mountains. It is beautiful, but added considerations with transportation is one of the prices you pay.

If you would consider Golden, another option which is in the mountains but nearly as accessible as Golden, would be just west of CO 93, the road that runs between Golden and Boulder. Roughly mid-way is a road crossing it, running east/west, CO 72, Coal Creek Canyon Rd. CO 93 parallels the foothills, being more or less on the plains, but drive but a short distance west on CO 72 and you enter the mountains. CO 93 can be no picnic at times, as it can get windy with blowing snow. CO 72 travels well into the mountains, all the way to Nederland. But how far you go is up to you. There are isolated houses along its length. You wouldn't have to travel very far in to feel like you were in the mountains, and in fact be there. It could well prove an easier commute into Denver than Evergreen. Some distance within is the small town of Pinecliffe, but you may not wish to live as far in, and the area will not have the same feel or community as Evergreen, if that matters.

Depending upon how tied you are to Denver, or where within it, the town of Boulder might be an option. Frankly, a daily commute between Boulder and Denver on US 36 would be no joy, but it is possible. Boulder is not in the mountains, but sure is directly on the edge of them. You cannot get any closer and still be in an urban community with all the amenities. With, I might add, superlative views of some quite lovely mountains. If driving west on Canyon Blvd., thence CO 119 to Nederland, you will be in the mountains just like that. Boulder does receive some good snow storms at times, but the roads are more generally clear. If with some hills, most of Boulder is fairly flat.

Something to consider when one's vehicles are questionable, and not thrilled with winter driving to begin with.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 AM

54 posts, read 97,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatexan View Post

Am I doomed to live in suburbia colorado?

We can only hope.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 PM

9,692 posts, read 11,353,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donisanasfan View Post
In addition to the tires, which is great advice, learn to not react with the brake pedal. When you get in a situation where you feel like you are sliding the last thing you want to do is slam on the brakes. Put the car in "n" and tap the brakes.
Oh dear.

Actually you do need to "react with the brake pedal" and you need to understand threshold braking if you do not have ABS and you need to understand ABS braking and how it all works.

In regards to the sliding or skids, depends whether you are understeering, oversteering or if you are in a 4 wheel drift. But putting the car in Neutral and tapping the brakes isn't how you correct skids.

Skid control is one of the driving skills I teach for a living.

Having taught thousands of students, I can say most of these "granddad taught me" driving theories can put people in a lot of trouble and I don't see it as people being dumb, just uneducated. In the USA, the process to get a drivers licence is pathetic and people just don't invest in good driver training or know anything about vehicle dynamics, despite the fact most of the adult population zooms around in 2 ton weapons killing almost 40,000 people a year.

As I said, Colorado has one of the best skid control and winter driving schools in the world up in Steamboat. Take advantage of it.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:58 PM

9,692 posts, read 11,353,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
My advice of years of driving on ICE in northwest Arkansas and a winter of driving Colorado mountain snow, is slow down. Looks like most everyone here has studded tires for winter and carry a set of tire chains. Slow down, don't slam on the brake and you'll be fine. I've driven my Mustang on ice and snow and it does fine. Here's some winter driving schools here:

Bridgestone Winter Driving School

How To: Drive in the Snow

Years ago one of the tests the Colorado State Patrol did was a braking test from 70 mph to 0 on various levels of grip. The two numbers I remember was on dry pavement they stopped in 200 feet. And then it went all the way up through rain, dry snow, wet snow and so on all the way to solid ice. That figure was 1700 feet.

It is befuddling to watch people in SUV's and AWD/4WD vehicles blaze along at 70 mph in a blizzard. They fail to understand a tire only has so much grip and sure all the electronic gizmos and AWD systems can try to compensate, but once the grip limit of the tire is exceeded you are at the mercy of your momentum. And you sure aint stopping in time for any hazards in the road due to poor visibility.

I'll never forget the bozo from back in 2000 when I was going over Vail Pass and he shot past me in his Audi A4 doing 90-100 mph in a whiteout blizzard. 2 miles down the road at deadmans curve #1 he managed to launch himself backwards in the air into the trees and the car was physically stuck nearly on top of the pines. He failed to negotiate a turn and a snow bank became a perfect launching point.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 5,635 times
Please let me know what you decided....we are thinking of making the move from Houston and I am absoluetly terrified We will more in the south denver area but I would still like to know if you are able to handle the cold...haha making a trip to visit mid November I hope all goes well with your move

Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 PM

161 posts, read 497,010 times
evergreen is a beauty. they have most retail you need. close to denver. they have nice lake to fish in summer and skate in winter. homes are bit pricey. i love evergreen i wish i could afford to live there. its mountains, so you will need 4x4 or AWD. be patient driving in winter. good luck

Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 AM

58 posts, read 156,231 times
The other option is to get 50lb sand bags and fill the truck bed with a single layer of them. It helps a bit with the traction. Honestly though, at least front wheel drive to be able to do the commute between Evergreen and Denver.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM

14 posts, read 35,935 times
Don't know what you decided, justatexan, but as others mentioned, Golden or Morrison would be a better fit for you. Both are right on the edge of the Front Range, backed up to the foothills, and both are very pretty. But when you get snow, the drives to Denver remain relatively flat and easy. As far as Evergreen goes, the bigger problem is driving down Mt Vernon Canyon once you reach I-70. Besides snow, the canyon gets freezing fog that can ice up the place, and multi-car pileups happen several times every winter ... mostly because people just won't slow down.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM

90 posts, read 160,766 times
I just had a revelation. The day they get a mass transit system into the foothills is the day the foothills die. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Honestly, before reading threads like this, I had no idea how completely lame people are about driving in snow. It isn't that hard people, especially with the tires and vehicles we have today. I got my two children through teenage driving in the foothills without a single incident. It is all about knowing how to drive, which involves much more than knowing how to shift in to "D" and step on the gas, unfortunately 90% of people seemed to have missed that memo.

Let's pray that mass transit stays on the plains, or apparently the foothills will be overrun by people who currently stay away solely because they can't drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado