U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,705 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My and my gf are planning a "trip" across the United states. By trip I mean we are currently in CA and we are going to move a state or two away and live there for a year and move to another state until we reach her orginal home town in New York.

Our first choices from here are Arizona, Nevada, or Colorado. We are looking for a city with a "younger crowd", lively, things to do, places to go, and people to meet. Also with affordable apartment communities, right now we pay 1k for a 2bd 2 ba, so anything in that price range would be great, and as long as it is in a safe community.

Our jobs will transfer us and are aware of what we are doing and are okay with it! We work for a rather large bank and they are located in just about every state. Its just a matter of us choosing the right one.

Any suggestions or reccomendations regarding this state of the other two states would be great!

Any pointers or highlights about one of these states would be great!

Last edited by suprwmngnbad; 08-29-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: miss spelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,168,009 times
Never heard of an employer allowing that before but I'll bite. Based on your desire for a younger crowd, I wouldn't even consider Colorado. You want to be in Austin, Texas. I'd check it out if I were you.
The other fun place is Las Vegas.
If these don't suit your fancy then I guess Denver is a distant third in my book.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,039,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
Never heard of an employer allowing that before but I'll bite.
Reminds me of that 'Denis Leary act where he said he used to work as a dishwasher at a chain restaurant and wished they'd had a "dishwasher relocation program" so he could maintain his livelihood moving from place to place.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM

54 posts, read 116,860 times
Quote:
Never heard of an employer allowing that before but I'll bite. Based on your desire for a younger crowd, I wouldn't even consider Colorado. You want to be in Austin, Texas. I'd check it out if I were you.
LOL you don't even live in Colorado. Don't move to Las Vegas, it is a fun place to visit and a terrible place to live. Denver would fit your needs. Austin is a great town but the problem is it is surrounded by Texas.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM

331 posts, read 885,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealansanders View Post
Austin is a great town but the problem is it is surrounded by Texas.
Agreed. As much as I love Austin, I'd take Denver any day. But if you're going to NY, Maybe go a little bit further and check out Burlington, VT for a bit? At least for a summer... It's a little more expensive, but it's wicked fun!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealansanders View Post
Austin is a great town but the problem is it is surrounded by Texas.
No, it would be a problem if Austin was surrounded by a state like Massachusetts.

If the OP doesn't check out Austin and San Antonio they won't know what they're missing. Lake Travis, Flugerville, San Marcos all great places. The water in the San Marcos river is crystal clear and cold. A refreshing way to cool off on a hot summer's day! And the night life in Austin beats Denver hands down. I've seen both as a young man and Denver doesn't have it when compared to Austin or San Antonio. Now if you compare DEN with SLC, I'd have to agree.

I'd check out VT too if I was the OP

Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,203,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
No, it would be a problem if Austin was surrounded by a state like Massachusetts.
Oddly enough you just don't hear about a lot of people moving from Colorado to Texas, but from Texas to Colorado.....

OP, I would look into Fort Collins and Boulder. Both sound like they would fit your bill. Boulder would be a little more pricey, but both have the things you are looking for.

I couldn't imagine moving somewhere new EVERY year. That would drive me nuts. I have moved ever 2-3 years lately, and even that has been such a hassle.

Good luck.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,932,391 times
davemess got in ahead of me with Boulder and Ft Collins. Don't overlook Golden (school of mines) but personally I'd go to foco. I'm a bit prejudiced as I currently live in Loveland.

I used to live in the Austin area, and while it does have a great music scene and a lot of young people, Texas is hot, humid (although Austin is better than Houston) and EXPENSIVE.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,287,157 times
Austin is more expensive than Denver? How so?

< considering a move from San Antonio...

Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
davemess got in ahead of me with Boulder and Ft Collins. Don't overlook Golden (school of mines) but personally I'd go to foco. I'm a bit prejudiced as I currently live in Loveland.

I used to live in the Austin area, and while it does have a great music scene and a lot of young people, Texas is hot, humid (although Austin is better than Houston) and EXPENSIVE.

Texas more expensive than Colorado....uh ok.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado