Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Gee, I wonder where the Dept. of Agriculture came up with the money for that "contribution?" So what they're saying is a good portion of their "profit" came from the state forking over taxpayer dollars. Nice little shell game.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but it's just a tad bit deceptive for the fair board to say they "made a profit" in this situation because without the taxpayer subsidy they would've lost money.
The money they received was from the department of agriculture and that makes sense as the state fair's primary mission is the education of youth with the 4H and FFA (Future Farmers of America). So it is totally in the mission of the department of agriculture to help support those programs much like the state helps support colleges and universities. Most people dont realize this but the fair has dorms on its property for students to live primarily during the fair but its used outside the fair as well. So no matter where the fair is located they will always get some money from the department of agriculture but the point is the fair made a profit this year and needs no additional money from the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The money they received was from the department of agriculture and that makes sense as the state fair's primary mission is the education of youth with the 4H and FFA (Future Farmers of America). So it is totally in the mission of the department of agriculture to help support those programs much like the state helps support colleges and universities. Most people dont realize this but the fair has dorms on its property for students to live primarily during the fair but its used outside the fair as well. So no matter where the fair is located they will always get some money from the department of agriculture but the point is the fair made a profit this year and needs no additional money from the state.
It is disingenuous for the Fair Commission to claim they made a profit when they had to request additional funding from the Ag Department to cover a shortfall. They would have made a profit if their revenues had exceeded expenses without requesting additional funds. I applaud the Fair in cutting costs and increasing revenues with the goal of not having to tap the emergency reserve, but they should be honest and admit that they are not profitable yet. I'm pretty sure that the Ag Department would have rather used that $375,000 to compensate the agricultural industry for this year's brutal drought than keep on bailing out the Fair since it can't keep it's fiscal house in proper order and has failed to do so for years.

In addition to the request from the Department of Agriculture, the Fair does receive a massive subsidy: this is the little $1.7 million dollar subsidy provided by the state annually in the form of interest and sales earned on the unclaimed property fund.

Last edited by wong21fr; 08-01-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM

The auditors obviously agree otherwise they would not allow them to make a statement like that. I am not saying they cant improve as they can but this has been a great improvement.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 PM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The auditors obviously agree otherwise they would not allow them to make a statement like that. I am not saying they cant improve as they can but this has been a great improvement.
The statement is an example of fiscal timing. The Fair Comission identified that they were going to take a loss for the 11-12 fiscal year in Q4 of 2011 and requested emergency funding from the Ag Department at that time, which is what the $375K was. If they had waited to request the funding until after then end of the fiscal year they would have reported a loss.

In reality, the Fair had a $247K loss. Even more if you pull out the other state subsidy, but that's not being fair as the Fair should receive some form of state funding. This loss is $132K less than in the 10-11 fiscal year, which does show improvement. It's just not as good as the Fair is trying to make it seem.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:48 AM

The 140th edition of the Colorado State Fair is set to start Friday in Pueblo. As I live a few blocks from the fair grounds I have been watching them set up in anticipation of the fair for a few weeks now. This is, in my opinion, the best way to end summer with one big state wide party in Pueblo. As usual I will be there and post my pictures and videos here.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM

289 posts, read 776,187 times
The state fair is back! Rides! Funnel cakes! Mediocre country music concerts! Rodeo! The same things we've seen for the last 20 years!

Bleh.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM

Talking ‘Sneak Peek’ at the Fair

The fair officially opens tomorrow and that is when I plan on going but for those who cant wait there is a "sneak a peak tonight" for the carnival rides. Honestly I wont be going as I like to walk around the whole fair and don't ride many of the rides but for those who like it tonight is free and you just have to pay for the rides.

Now I will be there Friday night and will have some pictures to post here on Saturday.....

This is from the Chieftain:

Although the 140th Colorado State Fair doesn't officially kick off until Friday, those who can't wait can get a jump-start today at the annual Sneak Peek Night. The event runs from 5 p.m. to midnight in the carnival area; gate admission is free. Fairgoers can purchase an all-you-can-ride wrist band for $10. "This is a great event for parents that want an opportunity for their kids to ride the rides at a discounted price," said Chris Wiseman, Fair general manager.

The link: ‘Sneak Peek’ at the Fair - Pueblo Chieftain: Colorado State Fair

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-23-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 AM

Talking Gates fly open today on state's annual expo

The fair is here! The 140th edition of the state fair opens today. As I posted I did not go last night to the sneak a peak but plan on going tonight and will have some pictures to post here tomorrow........

This is from the Chieftain:

The time has arrived. The gates of the Colorado State Fair open — officially — today for the 140th year. But the state's largest party actually got a jump-start Thursday night with the annual "Sneak Peek" event, where people rode carnival rides at discounted prices.

The link: Gates fly open today on state's annual expo - Pueblo Chieftain: Colorado State Fair

Old 08-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Talking Fun at the fair!

I was at the Colorado State Fair last night and it was busy as there was a rodeo, concert and cage fighting. It was, also, legislature day at the fair where all the state politicians come to Pueblo and have a BBQ. I took some pictures and a video of the fair last night.

Here are the pictures:

This is the famous sand sculpture. They work on it during the day at the fair.

Some fun pictures of the Midway.

This is the parade today and only the best high school in Pueblo's float! Pueblo Central!!!!

Now a video:

This was me on Pole Position. A roller coaster type ride.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-25-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
Default Going to the state fair

My wife and I are planning to attend the state fair. Any advice?

We plan on driving from C.S. Is there sufficient parking down there? How much should we expect to pay for parking, and are there any cheaper areas? We would be willing to walk a half mile to save on parking.

We're going down there Monday with the two for one deal. What things should we make sure to see? The deal includes ride bracelets. Are there any rides we should go on?

PS. We are loving it out here in Colorado Springs. All the research has paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado